Fairly comprehensive Saab EMS manual

Official FreeEMS vanilla firmware development, the heart and soul of the system!
Fred

Fairly comprehensive Saab EMS manual

Post by Fred »

This manual was linked to me by a friend :

http://members.home.nl/t5suite/Trionic%205.pdf

It has quite a lot of good detail in it on a number of aspects of engine management systems.

Worth a flick through if you are interested in such things. (and if you aren't, why are you reading this post? lol)

Admin.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
gearhead
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Re: Fairly comprehensive Saab EMS manual

Post by gearhead »

It is a well documented piece I just found.

http://members.home.nl/t5suite/

The manual on the Trionic is decent. The manual for the t5Suite also has a lot of good stuff in it. This is more detailed on some of the drive circuits and such.

One thing I mentioned previously was the need for a true VR decoder. Notice that the T5, that uses a 60-2 wheel, uses a LM1815.

Interesting about Trionic is that it is speed density (no MAF) and its adaptive nature. The main feedback is ion sense from the spark unit. It uses this 'knock' info/signal to adaptively tune the boost and timing maps. It also has adaptive idle, but I just do not find that as interesting. It has enough range in its adaptive nature to run regular to premium at optimal performance for all grades of fuel.

Also, I do not know if it is detailed here or not is that it starts to crank over as a wasted spark (crank sensor only) device and uses a combustion signal from the spark unit to determine when it has fired cyl #1 then swaps over to sequential spark and fuel based on this. I think this makes a lot of sense. THere may be easy ways of generating this signal. I think Audi uses a simple inductive wrap on cyl#1's plug wire. Either something from the ignition or a cam sensor could be used to trigger the swap over to COP/SFI. I think this should be considered as we develop the code for wheel decoders.

Gearhead
Fred

Re: Fairly comprehensive Saab EMS manual

Post by Fred »

gearhead wrote:The manual for the t5Suite also has a lot of good stuff in it. This is more detailed on some of the drive circuits and such.
OK, nice, I'll have a read through that at some point.
One thing I mentioned previously was the need for a true VR decoder. Notice that the T5, that uses a 60-2 wheel, uses a LM1815.
Yes, I did notice that, and Saab isn't the only oem to use it either. I'm a fan of them for that reason alone.
Either something from the ignition or a cam sensor could be used to trigger the swap over to COP/SFI. I think this should be considered as we develop the code for wheel decoders.
Agreed, the idea is that COP capable signals that also have enough info independent of the cam for wasted mode can be used with or without the cam signal with no change in configuration. It will just fall back to the lowest common denominator.

Thanks,

Admin.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!