walinsky's jaguar 0.7 #28

Andy's GM DIS centric hardware design! Also works as a fuel controller for EDIS and distributor applications.
DeuceEFI
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Re: walinsky's jaguar 0.7 #28

Post by DeuceEFI »

Yes, this is correct for banked injection using 2 injector banks.

Just for clarity:
Port T4 (the square solder pad in the section labeled Port T4-7) would go to the Injectors-IN #1 (the square solder pad in the section labeled Injectors-IN), like you have drawn.
Port T5 (the round solder pad next to the square solder pad in the section labeled Port T4-7) would go to the Injectors-In #2 (round solder pad next to the square solder pad in the section labeled Injectors-IN), like you have drawn.
walinsky
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by walinsky »

Ok. Thanks.

In your Assembly Manual you state in 'Fuel, Fan and Accessory Outputs' there should be 'Fuel Pump Low Side Driver', 'Fan Low Side Driver' and 'Accessory Low Side Driver'; the latter 2 not being connected to the MCU.
I can't find these on my Jaguar.

Question:
Which low side drivers should I use for connecting my Fuel Pump relay, Main power relay (BRV), and an optional other Main power relay (main power). And do I need to connect them to an MCU output (and where), or are these 'always on'?
DeuceEFI
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by DeuceEFI »

It looks like I never finished updating the Jaguar Assembly Manual for the changes between the 0.6-alpha version and the newer 0.7-alpha version. Thank you for calling this to my attention, it has been several years since the 0.7-alpha was released. I will get the assembly manual updated soon to reflect the notes I made during the PCB design changes.

In the meantime, here are my notes for the 0.7-alpha version:

Fuel Pump output selection:
On the 0.7-alpha board, the Fuel Pump output from the MCU (Port A7) has a jumper block at the top of the HSD section of the PCB, that you can jumper select connecting FP output (Port A7) to either the HSD (High Side Driver) or LSD4 (Low Side Driver #4). This jumper block is simply labeled: HSD FP LSD4 on the PCB.

You would need to determine if your fuel pump relay needs +12v or GND to activate/turn on.
  • If it needs +12v, then run a jumper from the FP pin to the HSD pin in the jumper block and use the HSD output, labeled HSD to the left of D54, to your fuel pump relay.
  • If it needs GND, then run a jumper from the FP pin to the LSD4 pin in the jumper block and use the LSD #4 output, labeled LSD4 to the right of D42, to your fuel pump relay.
Radiator Fan output selection:
On the 0.7-alpha board, the Fan output from the MCU (Port K4) has a jumper block at the top left of the LSD 1 & 2 section of the PCB, that you can jumper select connecting the Fan output (Port K4) to LSD2 (Low Side Driver #2). You would then connect the LSD #2 output, labeled LSD2, which is to the right of D40, to your radiator fan relay.

Additional LSD outputs:
On the 0.7-alpha board, I added two additional LSD (Low Side Drivers) called LSD #1 and LSD #3, which replaced the LSD called Accessory Low Side Driver on the 0.6-alpha board. If you would like to use the LSD #1 and/or the LSD#3 outputs, you would need to run a jumper from the appropriate MCU output that is supported by the firmware to the LSD1-IN (which is to the left of the Injectors-IN square solder pad #1) or the LSD3-IN (which is to the left of R60) solder pads.

The output to your relay for LSD #1 is labeled LSD1 and is to the left of D49.
The output to your relay for LSD #3 is labeled LSD3 and is to the left of D32.

There is no dedicated MCU pins for the Main Power Relay or the Optional Other Main Power Relay, so you would need to write code to assign the MCU pins and then jumper from the appropriate MCU output pin to the LSD1-IN and/or the LSD3-IN solder pads.

In my FreeEMS vehicles, the Main Power Relays are switched on/off by the key switch, which is probably isn't ideal, but you don't want to use the Fuel Pump output from the MCU for those since it only powers up the fuel pump for a few seconds prior to the engine starting to prime the fuel system, then it shuts off the fuel pump if the engine isn't rotating.

The BRV (Battery Reference Voltage) is an input so we can track the battery voltage and use it for calculations. It is not an output.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Wow, 4 people posting in one recent thread! :-D Epic.

Tuning wise, there is a modified version of EMStudio which I wholly recommend - PM me and I'll get you set up with that and the same "dog food" version of the firmware I run on my daily driven Volvo sedan (minus all the unfinished stuff we compressed into a very experimental branch for various cars). It's good enough for most purposes, but not as good as it could be by a long shot. Much newer than on github, though.

I intend to put together a docker image build stack and with a bit of effort could probably can EMStudio into a container too and expose it using DISPLAY somehow (not sure how, not a priority, but getting the build tools built on modern distros is harder and harder).

For firmware loading and log recording and viewing I can hook you up. EMStudio can also log, but doesn't do quite as good a job of it. However if you want to view any of your data at the same time that you're driving this is the only way right now.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
walinsky
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by walinsky »

Fred wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:04 pm Wow, 4 people posting in one recent thread! :-D Epic.
And now I even lured you in :lol:
Thanks for chiming in as well!
Fred wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:04 pm Tuning wise, there is a modified version of EMStudio which I wholly recommend - PM me and I'll get you set up with that and the same "dog food" version of the firmware I run on my daily driven Volvo sedan (minus all the unfinished stuff we compressed into a very experimental branch for various cars). It's good enough for most purposes, but not as good as it could be by a long shot. Much newer than on github, though.
Nice. I'll pm you!
I was planning on trying to get it running with the vanilla firmware; but I'd love to get my hands on your dog food version :D
Fred wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:04 pm I intend to put together a docker image build stack and with a bit of effort could probably can EMStudio into a container too and expose it using DISPLAY somehow (not sure how, not a priority, but getting the build tools built on modern distros is harder and harder).
Not sure if that's really necessary. I'm running a virtual machine with a fresh Ubuntu 17 install. EMStudio (from github) built straight away without any errors.
Fred wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:04 pm For firmware loading and log recording and viewing I can hook you up. EMStudio can also log, but doesn't do quite as good a job of it. However if you want to view any of your data at the same time that you're driving this is the only way right now.
Nice!

Meanwhile I've been gutting an old engine loom. So I can even match the wire colours for easier identification.
I've tried documenting the pin layouts from the motronic 55 pin housing to the jaguar here. If you have any suggestions, please feel free to comment.
walinsky
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by walinsky »

Whilst using my original engine loom, I'm trying to keep things as reversible as possible.

So, replacing my AFM (flapper) with a straight pipe with (just) a IAT sensor, I made an adaptor cable to fit both. (cable not shown)
Similarly, I'm using a TPS from a younger BMW, I made a adaptor cable to suit this one.
The old TPS just had Idle/other/WOT output. This one covers full range with a potentiometer.
walinsky
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by walinsky »

We have comms!

Helper cat approves.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Totally smashed right now, not sure if you PMed, but will check when I next come up for air. 4 days to move out of our flat into our garage so they can renovate without us leaving completely. Exhausted and 2 days to go and 40% done, ouch. Wish me luck, will be in touch soon. XXOO
walinsky
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by walinsky »

How did the renovation work out?
Fred

Post by Fred »

Had to move back in a day before it was finished between 10pm and 1am after the room we were in started flooding - battening down the hatches for cyclone Gabrielle right now, she arrives in full force (or what's left of it after burning out north of here) tomorrow evening with 2 inches of rain per hour for 4 hours straight or something like that, and some strong wind to boot. Not expecting much drama from that but waves 35 feet high reported up north right now :-D boat is tucked up safe in a river on a good mooring and won't be harmed by weather like that. Nothing left on the floor downstairs to harm now. Sorry for the OT. Let me have a look at my PMs and see what I can do for ya.