Huer's interesting ideas

From DIY contraptions to sophisticated FreeEMS-specific designs! Plus general hardware development!
Huer
DIP8 - Involved

Huer's interesting ideas

Post by Huer »

I will stick my flag in this spot for this subject! Only Fred has the power to pull it up :P

For my first weird and radical idea-
I was just poking around Jameco and saw these pressure sensing resistors. The first thing I thought of was a way to measure torque. Imagine building a bellhousing that is split. and in the split you put these pressure sensing resistors that could measure the amount of torsional force exerted between the engine and transmission. This way there would be an accurate method of measuring the engine's output at all times during normal operating conditions!

What do you all think?
Fred

Re: Huer's interesting ideas

Post by Fred »

Sounds dangerous! :-D

I think they make things you can stick in the driveshaft and possibly betweeen clutch and trans that are called load cells that could do this job?
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Huer
DIP8 - Involved

Post by Huer »

Lol you sound like my dad :P
It's kinda because I have been thinking about making my own bell housings for different projects. Like I would really like to use my AX15 with that Yamaha motor when I get it ready, and use those in my pickup. If I have to make a bell housing, I may as well implement something interesting, don't you think? I was actually thinking about making several bell pattern templates and design a connection to use 3" away from the block so that it would be a 2 part bell with a common connection so that perhaps in the future any transmission could be mated to any engine. Even though time is running out for that, with the EV trend looming on the horizon. But perhaps adapters for old transmissions could be made for electrical motors this way as well.
Fred

Post by Fred »

All that modular dreaming that youthful souls like yourself do sounds great in theory, but in practice you want minimal gap for absolute stiffness. Some manuals can take some misalignment, but others must be exactly aligned. Any flex etc is a fail in an expensive way. And that distance is hard to do something with - you have to connect the input shaft to the crank shaft, and the less distance between the two, the better. Typically it's done with a plate of some sort that matches the mismatched parts.

PS, I may well be old enough to be your dad, however I'm still ~1 year away from being one :-)
Huer
DIP8 - Involved

Post by Huer »

....How old do you think I am?
Fred

Post by Fred »

Not sure, 25? You said a few things that made me think "youngish" but I can't recall what. Curious as to what the real number is now after that response! :-D
Huer
DIP8 - Involved

Post by Huer »

Well.. only 15 years off there. I don't miss my 20's really. It's been since my 20's that I'e had a decent job like the one I'm starting today :D So it wont be hard to afford that Jaguar Board now! *nudge nudge* It would be cool if that board wasn't so hard to get ahold of. We'd probably have more people on the board.
Fred

Post by Fred »