ToxicGumbo's 2003 Toyota Tacoma 2.4L 2RZ-FE (23rd)

If you're running FreeEMS on any engine whether it be in a vehicle or not, please post about it here!
Fred

Re: ToxicGumbo's 2003 Toyota Tacoma 2.4L 2RZ-FE (23rd)

Post by Fred »

Make sure the commute has another two gear wot pull in it. That's the only time the miss showed up with the new tune.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
ToxicGumbo
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by ToxicGumbo »

More firmware updates:

2017.01.19: Updated to 7acc56a
2017.01.23: Updated to 3df111a
ToxicGumbo

Post by ToxicGumbo »

Something I don't believe I mentioned in writing anywhere on here:

I've operated my Jaguar A3 with FreeEMS in temperatures ranging from (at least) -15C to 44C, 4F to 112F ambient temperature without any trouble, just shy of 3 years as a daily driver.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Awesome! At least it has a rough tune on it, now. Still a country mile from OEM quality tune/setup, though. Pretty cool that you have gotten away with it this long :-D
ToxicGumbo

Post by ToxicGumbo »

Fred wrote:Pretty cool that you have gotten away with it this long :-D
Speaking of "a country mile", here are a few sights from the land of FreeEMS vehicle #23.
ToxicGumbo

Post by ToxicGumbo »

In only a couple months, I'll be celebrating 4 years from first start on FreeEMS. It's a great feeling.

There's still much to do and yet all of my projects have ground to a halt until a solid and routine daycare can be found. That has been the case for a while and is why I've dropped off the radar almost completely. I'm either at work or trying to keep the baby in good shape.

A big part of making progress with my FreeEMS installation is having an always-available way to communicate with the ECU. Up until now that's mostly involved carrying various laptops in states of disrepair or decent laptops with semi-configured VMs back and forth between work and home. My Pi project stalled after it's critical-yet-cheap USB hub wasn't registering in Raspian and originally appeared to be having power problems (red herring). That led to a lot of wasted time through cable swaps, power adjustments, etc. etc. The entire thing will be ripped out shortly and brought to the office so I can properly test the hub.

I'm also trying to fight a speeding citation, an unpleasant process. There are no laws in the US for datalogging on the officer's end, so that along with the relationships built in court and frequency of claims mean these almost always fall flat.

Life's mostly be good, just incredibly busy. Hoping to take the Taco out for a long journey in the near future.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Have you tried paying the baby's mother to help you look after it? :-D

Re speeding, are you going to try to use a FreeEMS datalog to prove your innocence? Good luck either way.

PS, how fast was the old girl going and in what zone?

Four years, impressive.
ToxicGumbo

Post by ToxicGumbo »

Baby-mama's pretty loaded down with daily childcare until we get daycare (we've been on multiple waiting lists for over a year). So anything I can do to offload the kids in the evenings on the weekends lets her do her research and not get any crap from her department. Childrearing is a real loss of individual time, but even with all the nonstop responsibilities, it's fun to watch little humans developing further and further every day. You try not to scheme so that they can be their own people, but I have plans for the minions.

The day I got the ticket, I wasn't driving the truck. That would have solved the issue right then and there. Won't mention anything further about it until the trial has passed (as they can use anything in court), but it's been interesting gathering info on police equipment and procedures.
ToxicGumbo

Post by ToxicGumbo »

Didn't bother going through with the trial, but turned out that I had enough information to show that there was no proof any of the daily and highly-tuned equipment in the patrol car was even used. No datalogging, no video footage showing equipment activity, no audio during the moments when the written account claimed equipment blipping, no GPS feature used in the patrol car's positioning for braking verification, etc. But, per advice from some cops, the spoken account of the officer is enough to go on by the court. An inconvenient truth, too, is that the various members of the court develop relationships with the officers over time and that also factors into things. What all this research showed was that the police can make up whatever they want and aren't required by law to keep digital records, so you have to really show major, major, error in order to fight these things (such as the cruiser being across town). Pretty frustrating, but a good experience researching the matter. Visited with the police afterwards and talked about these issues in more detail.
ToxicGumbo

Post by ToxicGumbo »

Some fun with Fred's Ultimate Tools on Pine64's "PinePhone":

Ultimate Loader:
Image Image

Ultimate Log Viewer:
Image Image

Will attempt a datalog over USB via a passive hub in the next few days.