Fred's 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon

Post your project vehicles here! One thread per vehicle please.
Fred

Re: Fred's 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon

Post by Fred »

I was aware of the 27mm figure, but not the different figure for a plain spacer, which totally rules out a plain spacer for me. I was not aware of, but did suspect: "THIS IS WHY ALL SPACERS AND ADAPTORS REQUIRE LVV CERTIFICATION" However I'll risk it for day to day use, and if I ever boost it, then I'll include it in the cert. I'll maintain other wheels/tyres for WOF purposes. Getting nabbed for spacers in an old volvo is pretty unlikely, I would say.

Thanks for the link! :-)

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Fred

Post by Fred »

A set of 25mm adaptors/spacers has been ordered! Exciting times. Now I need to find some tyres, and maybe tidy up these rims that I bought a bit before I get tyres put on them. Will be interesting to see how the car behaves on proper tyres. I suspect I'll like the ride less, and I also suspect that they will feel out of place with the rest of the suspension setup. Perhaps springs/bars/shocks/roll-centre-adjusters are next?
Fred

Post by Fred »

Update! Was looking around tonight and discovered a crack in the driver's door just below the lower hinge, which will need welding, for sure. Light surface rust around/under the hinge, too. Sadly. In the same area, and to be done at the same time, the lower mount for the right front guard has surface rust and flaking paint around it, too. Poor thing!

Both front spring mechanisms for detents when opening/closing are worn and barely function. Both rear ones work perfectly. They are based on an interference fit, so simply filling the gap, or lowering/raising the mechanism will probably fix them on the passenger side. The welding will be required on the drivers side as the hinge is just flexing into the door as it stands.

Pulled the steering wheel off and gauge cluster out, too. Tacho was not working, one back light bulb blown, odo and trip sticky and moving step-wise, indicator return not functioning, casting indicator switch mounts to previously broken and never fixed well, clear plastic a bit grubby with some sticky residue over the lambda symbol.

Some fixes have been made, some still need to be made, some pending materials, others pending time. Hopefully I can get the dash all back together for good over the weekend, and maybe even fix the tacho which seemed fine internally.

With the instruments out of the dash, I spotted (one of) the ECU(s) in the driver's kick panel. Keen to get a Jaguar board into that car for some fun :-) If I could get stock ECU connectors, that'd leave the car in more original form. But it might be a tough ask on this side of the world, we'll see.

So yeah, the driver's door is coming off soon! :-( Probably will leave that until the existing WOF has expired and do a few things to the car at the same time before I take it in for a new WOF.

And I seem to have lost a piece of door trim. I found part of it broken and on the floor, but there is a missing piece! :-( Awfully hard to glue it back together and reinforce when there are bits that have gone awol. Hopefully the slither shows up at some point.

Fred.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Spacers arrived, and I ordered the wrong ones for the car! So I bought another car to go with the spacers:

And it comes with this funky looking engine... parts of which will end up in this 240 at some point! :-D

Which my wife will get the pleasure of learning to drive with once I have it running nice. And I don't care if she destroys the bodywork. As long as the driveline and engine remain in good shape... :-)

Another set of spacers ordered... 10 days for the last ones, let's see how these go. And whether they fit...

Fred.
Fred

Post by Fred »

A few snaps including this car on the right:

Undoctored:

Doctored:

Doctored with flash:

Fred

Post by Fred »

The B234F 940 wagon met its untimely demise today, probably from a cambelt issue, less than 48 hours after taking the key and possession of it. Oops. I think I'll do some checks on the B234F in the 740 sedan before I drive it again, just in case. Hopefully not too much damage done. I had it road legal for 6 months for my wife to learn in, so wouldn't want to waste that, would be nice to revive it in the existing chassis ASAP. But, shit happens. Gutted. Will take the half-legal 240 for a spin shortly to restore my faith in the Volvo marque. Que sera sera. First ride in a tow truck, ever. I'll be driving a Jap car to work tomorrow out of fear of a second B234F failure.
ivan141
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by ivan141 »

That's an interference engine :(
FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Fred

Post by Fred »

Yes, but not in the same way as pedophiles. So it's OK. Will get some valves for it and she'll be sweeeeeet. It may even have saved itself. It jumped a tooth first and fell to maybe 300 RPM, where it stumbled for a while then skipped a few more, then stopped and refused to start.
masterkorp
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by masterkorp »

Glad to see you've keep a good taste on vintage volvos :P

I saw on those the other day, and it had a nice presence to it.
Fred

Post by Fred »

I never updated this thread! The 940 did not die. It's been driven around a bit since then, however it still has random dying antics going on. I eventually got it home from the last break down by swapping coil and ignitor out of the 740 and connecting some relay wires that were disconnected. I think it has/had multiple issues, hence being a pain to diagnose. The last time it died, it made the same weird noises as the time that fooled me. The running with no change based on throttle I know the source of: BIG idle air hose off. The other funny noise may have been some sort of backfire against that hose still somewhat in position. Not sure. No longer care, she's going to heaven soon.