Fred's "Hotel Hyundai" 1988 Stellar! (3rd)

If you're running FreeEMS on any engine whether it be in a vehicle or not, please post about it here!
johntramp
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Re: Fred's "Hotel Hyundai" 1988 Stellar! (3rd)

Post by johntramp »

Pushing hard? Had she broken down again?
Fred

Post by Fred »

LOL. It's her owner that's broken down and worn out, not her, honest.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Fred

Post by Fred »

Am now in possession of a bunch of silicone vacuum hose for this thing (more arrived today!). Also have some PTFE hose that I might use as hard-line between metal fittings with silicone pieces to couple it. Haven't done anything except drive it about once a week since I got the Lantis, mostly because I've been busy using the Lantis to pick up materials and things, and fixing it too. Still hoping to get some improvements made and the tune dialed in on the old girl at some point :-)
Fred

Post by Fred »

Got some improved code on it, an AlphaN tune on it, and a few SD fixups. Ran it out of brake fluid, bled it again, back to normal (was squishy). Woops. Still need to damp the MAP hose JUST enough, as even though it runs smoothly now, it's still very wrong, and it'd be nice if the tune was realistic, which requires a realistic MAP figure. The 2mm silicone vacuum hose has been good, never come loose, fallen off, collapsed, or any other issue. Needs an oil change, too, rather than just another top up of the empty engine. Filter might be pretty clogged by now, or the pressure sender is clogged, or something.
Fred

Post by Fred »

It got a fresh batch of oil and a fresh filter the other day. Pumped that oil out with another tank of gas, until the WOF ran out. Took it for a couple of test drives just to keep it from sitting too long in between. Last one tonight, a few laps of the block, and then backed it into the garage for an engine overhaul. Need this car legal and back on the street, ASAP, as the Volvo needs to come in to have a crack welded up before it can be legal again. And so it goes. Might start pulling it apart tomorrow if things go well. No point in delaying the inevitable any longer. Will have to order a gasket kit, rings, and bearings before it's able to go back together, but it depends what I find, perhaps it's not very rebuildable. Hard to say. It's certainly pretty smoky, however it drives and idles fine and makes decent power. That puts both of my FreeEMS cars off the road for the time being. And means all of my ECUs are free to go into any of the other 5 vehicles that are yet to be controlled by the best open source/free software ECU in the world.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Moved some stuff around in the garage tonight and got this right into the back corner ready for a frontal lobotomy. Goal: No smoke! Need to:
  • Re-align latch so it opens/closes freely
  • Pull bonnet off, and lube hinges until free
  • Remove the battery for space/safety
  • Pull exhaust manifold off and disconnect from exhaust
  • Drain the fluids, oil, water/rust
  • Depressurise fuel system and disconnect/block
  • Pull intake manifold stuff off
  • Pull front covers and cam belt off
  • Pull rocker cover off
  • Pull head off
At which point I can evaluate bores for honing or find replacement block/engine. If the former:
  • Pull sump off possibly pulling gearbox off to ease work on block
  • Can bearings be slid out of the block and slid back in without crank removal?
  • Mains may be OK? Rod bearings likely need love.
  • Buy gaskets, seals, rings, bearings, as required/desired
  • Reverse of strip down procedure + hone block + helicoil exhaust stud holes + head skim maybe + who knows what
Seems like a lot of work, but the alternative is to scrap what is basically a good solid car due to a smoky engine. I could go do a DOHC engine (easy to find) but then I'd need a cert for the car (might be cheaper), however I'd lose the TBI setup and dev benefits of that. Car would run better and go faster, but the TBI setup is a good unique setup for testing code. Decisions decisions.

Fred.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Change of plans! These engines came in Hyundai Sonatas FWD up to 98, so I'll try to source one of those for a few hundy and swap accessories over. Much better idea. Can play around with the old one afterward if so inclined, or recycle it.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Well, in months of searching for a SOHC 4G63 I've found exactly nothing! On the other hand, today a friend came around telling tales of woe with his Alfa 33 and 160/130/130/130 compression numbers. I had scoffed at him over the phone and boldly said "bring that compression tester around here and see the definition of bad compression". And so he did bring it around, but we didn't see that... instead this is what we saw:
  1. 160psi with oily plug: https://twitter.com/FredCookeNZ/status/ ... 1184256000
  2. 157psi with slightly oily plug: https://twitter.com/FredCookeNZ/status/ ... 4604600320
  3. 163psi with good looking plug: https://twitter.com/FredCookeNZ/status/ ... 3119755264
  4. 165psi with good looking plug: https://twitter.com/FredCookeNZ/status/ ... 9472880640
And the plugs, 3,4 OK, 1,2 oily, especially 1: https://twitter.com/FredCookeNZ/status/ ... 2140281856

Sooooo..... Stem seals?

It could always have been either, but rough cold starting a few times made me think rings. Now I'm thinking not rings. The symptom has always been smoke under load after long idle or long trailing throttle down hill. Both rings and stem seals are possible sources of such oil and with no heat to burn the oil off the post-sucking load is when you see the smoke, briefly. On the other hand, 1 and 2 are lower numbers, and they could have been helped to seal by the oil film that's still in there from the last run narrowing the gap in numbers artificially. It's also true that the oiling ring isn't responsible for compression. And, aside from the smoke, I never had bad blow by or milky rocker cover issues. Hmmm.

I guess I'll do the stem seals, and then the front seal and cross my fingers.

Fred.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Clambered through this to retrieve the A-frame for the caravan tonight. Love the interior. So 80s. So need to resurrect ASAP and resume daily driving it to work! Needs LSD or locker or some such. But if it had one, I'd need a new license every few weeks...
Fred

Post by Fred »

Yesterday I drove this thing, and it ran like a, excuse the expression, handful of arseholes. Missing badly on 1 or 2 under load, etc. Not ideal. Today I swapped the plugs around after leaving the bores with carb cleaner soaking into them for several hours, then CRC on top to make sure it wasn't dry, then crank to expel liquids, then plugs in, and she fired up and ran OK. I took her for a spin and delivered her to what I hope is a safe place for a few days, and she ran great, WOT pulls out to where it stops breathing, limiter bouncing, even a little sideways on a launch out of the lights, however it still smokes after being on the over run. Best I order those seals and cross my fingers. Felt damn good to drive it again, though. So much fun for such an unsuspecting car :-)