Impregacy's "Moar" 1991 Ingersoll 3012 (33rd)

If you're running FreeEMS on any engine whether it be in a vehicle or not, please post about it here!
Impregacy
QFP80 - Contributor

Impregacy's "Moar" 1991 Ingersoll 3012 (33rd)

Post by Impregacy »

1991 Ingersoll 3012
12.5 HP Briggs and Straton Vanguard V Twin
90d V angle
Air cooled
42" Cutting deck

FreeEMS: Jaguar 0.6, Custom enclosure, Ignition only (for now), 2 GM LS style coils, ford truck VR sensor, GM 1 bar MAP, factory cooling fan is the 18-2 trigger wheel.

Current state:

Harness / Jaguar

EDIT: Previous discussions can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=2426
Impregacy
QFP80 - Contributor

Re: Impregacy's "Moar" 1991 Ingersoll 3012

Post by Impregacy »

Got the engine running now on the second jaguar--since I screwed up the first one. Same problem though of only firing on one cylinder. Could be something fundamentally wrong with my fixed config does this look right?

anglesOfTDC: {ANGLE(0), ANGLE(270)}, // v-twin 90 degree
outputEventPinNumbers: {0}, //
schedulingConfigurationBits: {0,0}, // Ignition only
decoderEngineOffset: ANGLE(125.00), //
numberOfConfiguredOutputEvents: 2, // Wasted spark
numberOfInjectionsPerEngineCycle: 1 // moot

It might be a little late to ask but a V-twin like this is supported right? or are the event too far apart lol!?
Fred

Post by Fred »

No, that's definitely wrong! :-D You need to select your second pin on the second line. Both are being scheduled on pin 0 at the moment, which could be making for some interesting noises ;-)

Nice comment, re moot, very apt.

So if you have your coils on T2 and T3, for example, then you should have your outputEventPinNumbers as 0, 1, and so on up to T7 = 5.

Post a good video once you fix this and have it running mint :-D

Fred (at the ski town backpackers over 3g, after 5 hours drive on FreeEMS, hanging with an audi RS4 round some twisties, and having gotten out of bed at 5:30am, and now being 11pm, 100% dedicated to the cause)
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Impregacy
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by Impregacy »

thanks Fred, the mighty hotel can hang with RS4s or do you have your truck running?

BTW the MOAR was making wierd sounds. I had the wrong perception of what wasted spark would look like on a 2 cylinder. I also had the decoder offset backwards--I found in an older post that it is 360-whatIthought.

Here it is!
http://youtu.be/A2yLauXirZY

Bonus footage:
http://youtu.be/XQzJC4coeBU
Fred

Post by Fred »

Impregacy wrote:thanks Fred, the mighty hotel can hang with RS4s or do you have your truck running?
The mighty hotel with me driving it can hang with most cars around corners :-) In a straight line, things are different :-D
BTW the MOAR was making wierd sounds. I had the wrong perception of what wasted spark would look like on a 2 cylinder. I also had the decoder offset backwards--I found in an older post that it is 360-whatIthought.
That doesn't sound right. Your decoder offset with crank-mounted missing tooth wheel should be 0 to 359.98 inclusive, IE, less than 360.
AWESOME! :-D Facebook, twitter and IRC have been notified! :-)
Impregacy
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by Impregacy »

Thank you Fred, for the neat program. Mad props to Fred, Andy, Michael, and everyone else who contributed. I really had a smile on my face as I mowed the lawn today--got some strange looks--especially from my brother in law when I tried to explain the wires dangling from the engine.

Regarding the offset, I had always thought of it as the angle past tooth 1 when at TDC but for FreeEMS it's more like the angle ramaining before TDC. Anyway I thought it would be 125 but instead is 360-125=235

I think I want to slap my wide band on next. Maybe fuel injection is in the works.
Fred

Post by Fred »

You're most welcome, I bet I matched your smiles, and one-upped you with applause here in my bedroom watching your vid! :-)

Just read the "air cooled" part, what did you do for an engine temp sensor, point me at previous answer if I missed it :-)

You should put a camera on a tripod and film a piece of empty grass, then mow-into-scene, slowly mow across scene, then mow-out-of-scene again :-D Would make for an epic intro clip to a future presentation of some sort. No rush on delivery :-)

Fred.
AiToR51
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by AiToR51 »

nice, how about installing a turbo on it?
Sierra XR4i 2.0T
Impregacy
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by Impregacy »

Just read the "air cooled" part, what did you do for an engine temp sensor, point me at previous answer if I missed it :-)
Good question, it doesn't have one yet :/, I suppose that is next on the list also. Was planning to drill into the cylnder head somewhere, not sure where yet. I'm guessing the temps can vary greatly depending on where I put it.
nice, how about installing a turbo on it?

Ha the thought has crossed my mind also. Anyone know of one small enough ~25 HP?
Fred

Post by Fred »

Impregacy wrote:Good question, it doesn't have one yet :/
Not an issue with only ignition control!
I suppose that is next on the list also.

Before you fuel inject, yes.
Was planning to drill into the cylnder head somewhere, not sure where yet. I'm guessing the temps can vary greatly depending on where I put it.
Probably true, however the only thing that matters is that it's consistent and sufficiently different from "cold" to "hot". The closer it tracks chamber temperature, the better, too. More lag = less "accurate" enrichment. Search for what VW guys do to get some ideas. There is a good image someone posted on here for this. I can't recall who or where, though.
Ha the thought has crossed my mind also. Anyone know of one small enough ~25 HP?
PM em_knaps and link to this thread for him to reply.