Passing of the Torch

Mike's cross-platform FreeEMS tuning application, written in C++ using QT. With Mike's natural coding talent and Fred's intimate requirement knowledge it went from concept to full tuning capability in just 8 weeks!
malcom2073
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Passing of the Torch

Post by malcom2073 »

Well guys, it's been a hell of a ride these past couple of years, but for now I will be discontinuing development of EMStudio.

I apologize to EMStudio users for this, but at least the product is in such a state that it is usable. If someone is willing to step forward and take over development, I will be available for helping with bringing them up to speed on the codebase.

I will be posting what information I have in the next week or so here that pertains to how to set up the build system, and my builds page will remain up until the current binaries are moved somewhere else.
Matthijs

Re: Passing of the Torch

Post by Matthijs »

Thanks for all your effort so far malcom! :)
DeuceEFI
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by DeuceEFI »

Thank you for all your time and effort! :D

Sorry to hear that you have to step away from EMStudio, Michael.

I have always looked forward to what new features you were working on. :)
ToxicGumbo
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by ToxicGumbo »

Mike, thanks for all the time and energy you put into EMSTune, including the addition of official and user-requested enhancements, fielding questions and concerns, and for being such a pivotal player in getting myself and others where we are today. I'm glad we were able to meet in Seattle and Vancouver and hope that, despite the need to back away from this, we'll all still be able to keep the communication and camaraderie active. I very much enjoyed chatting with you about the different aspects of EMSTune and appreciate that you took everything I had to say seriously despite my lack of programming and tuning experience.

Regarding this project, I'll read through the open issues and publish my notes on personal compiles once I get back to KS. If you ever have the time, energy, or desire to do so, can you create a ticket which gives a general outline of which aspects you'd like to see better attended to, what future enhancements/redesign you had in mind, and what you don't want to see happen to the program (which would take it beyond your goals and design scope)...?

Proud of what you accomplished and still remember the early and intense coding sessions when you and Fred nailed the fundamentals down. Absolutely amazing momentum and results that brought us out of a difficult time.

All the best, dude.

-Jeff
Fred

Post by Fred »

ToxicGumbo wrote:If you ever have the time, energy, or desire to do so, can you create a ticket which gives a general outline of which aspects you'd like to see better attended to, what future enhancements/redesign you had in mind, and what you don't want to see happen to the program (which would take it beyond your goals and design scope)...?
Excellent call, Jeff. I'd like to hear this information too.

All the best, Mike! Whatever you get up to, I know you'll do well. You have a natural talent for software like few others. Kinda reminds me of me 10 or 15 years ago, actually. :-)

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
malcom2073

Post by malcom2073 »

I likely should have been more clear:

I'm not going anywhere, I'm just not going to be developing EMStudio anymore. I appreciate all the kind words, and I will work a "future direction" in with the state of the code I plan on writing up in the next week or two.
malcom2073

Post by malcom2073 »

My build server will be taken down in the next few days, here are permanent links to the last built downloads. Thanks to JR for hosting the downloads for all this time, and ensuring that my own bandwidth didn't get killed :)

Master Builds

Windows 32bit amd64 Git: StableTwo-168-g9f0f013
Debian 32bit amd64 Git: StableTwo-168-g9f0f013
Ubuntu 32bit amd64 Git: StableTwo-168-g9f0f013
Source Download

Development Builds

These builds are considered slightly unstable. They have been tested, but are not garunteed to work.
Windows 32bit amd64 Git: StableTwo-195-ge24696f
Debian 32bit amd64 Git: StableTwo-195-ge24696f
Ubuntu 32bit amd64 Git: StableTwo-195-ge24696f
Source Download

Unstable Builds

You should NOT use these builds unless explicitly told to by me.
These can mess up your tune and potentially destroy your engine if not used properly.
Windows 32bit amd64 Git: 0.0.1-SNAPSHOT-723-gf24a4b5
Debian 32bit amd64 Git: 0.0.1-SNAPSHOT-723-gf24a4b5
Ubuntu 32bit amd64 Git: 0.0.1-SNAPSHOT-723-gf24a4b5
Source Download

FreeEMS Loader (7637a6f4fe775f60c55c3cd2d2202bcc2739952e)
Win32 Wheezy32 Wheezy64 Ubuntu32 Ubuntu64 Source Code

FreeEMS-SerialIO (a0fee3bfd5e6adeeca2745086f2baf5da34a543b)
Wheezy32 Wheezy64 Ubuntu32 Ubuntu64 Source Code
Fred

Post by Fred »

Cheers Mike!

BTW, your git describe output is bogus or from different repos with different tags. Those "StableTwo" tags have been published and should never be deleted.
malcom2073

Post by malcom2073 »

Fred wrote:Cheers Mike!

BTW, your git describe output is bogus or from different repos with different tags. Those "StableTwo" tags have been published and should never be deleted.
Yep, unstable is from your repo, not mine. The other branches are still pointing at mine.
Fred

Post by Fred »

I guess I made that tag as an example for you, and nuked the others because my repo isn't/wasn't the single source of truth. I was probably expecting a release and associated tag to occur not long after :-)