Ivan's stable

Post your project vehicles here! One thread per vehicle please.
ivan141
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Re: Ivan's stable

Post by ivan141 »

First real work done today. Fitted the EV6 injectors to the manifold.
Was a bit fiddly, the SAAB injectors are 'regular' size EV6's, which are almost 2cm shorter than EV1 injectors.
Had to remove the o-ring retainers from the nozzles because they obstruct them from protruding deep
enough into the manifold. Since the injectors seat in a cup I doubt the o-rings are going anywhere so I'll
just leave the retainer plastic rings off. For the rest I just snipped the rail mounting brackets off, and rewelded them
on the other side of the rail.. easy peasy, the rail thickness matches the difference in length between the injector
styles perfectly so I have a nice firm fit without the hassle of custom bracketry.

I'll update some pics once I've cleaned the manifold up in the basement. The injectors are going for a bath
in the ultrasonic cleaner.

Fixing the daily's exhaust up for MOT and beer + bbq got in the way of any further progress.
Next task is fitting cam sensor to cam cover and fabbing a bracket for the LS2 coils (also going on top of cam cover).
FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
ivan141

Post by ivan141 »

Some more work in progress:

-Cam trigger tooth welded to cam pulley (will it be big enough? Beats me.. forgot to bring my multimeter like an idiot).

-Powerfiled a nice flat mounting spot for the sensor.. will mount it once I know the tooth is read ok and I can determinde the correct distance for the sensor.

-Started fabbing a bracket for the coils
Made out of threaded rods and a few bits of aluminium soldered together (testing some Durafix a colleague gave me).
Will be mounted to the cam cover through rubber isolators.

Looks all kinky and hi-tech already.. and we haven't even whipped the gold hammerite out yet ;) .
FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
ivan141

Post by ivan141 »

Little follow up on this volvo engine build. Last year I tried to figure out the pinout of the chrysler hall sensor I bought for use as a cam sensor.
Did this with too much beer in my gut and murdered the poor thing within 10 minutes (try applying straight 12v from a battery to all pins in different
configurations and you might see why). I'm guessing it would have preferred a 5v feed from an ECU and no reverse voltage.

This stalled all further progress, so this year I bought myself some ATS675 camshaft hall sensor IC's from Allegro so I can build my own sensor unit.
I soldered it onto a strip of experimental print and added some idiot proofing (reverse voltage protection diode and a TVS diode + low value/high power
resistor for dissipating power peaks). The sensor itself will work with any voltage from 4 to 30 volts, so that gives a lot of wiggle room for protection
circuitry. I sawed off a bit of metal broom handle and potted the assembly in it with polyurethane.
Just need to fit it to the cam cover and make sure it works correctly in-situ. I found that it makes a lot of difference how strong of a signal it reads
on startup. The ATS675 is self-calibrating with true-power-on-state, in practice that means that if the target is very close when you power it on,
it will be a lot less sensitive at larger distances than when you power it on with the target at the maximum 4mm gap.

If anyone is interested in one of these sensors I still have about 4 I can spare since I had to order in bulk from digikey to save on shipping.
Figure someone here might have a use for one of these as it allows you to create any wacky sensor assembly you might need for some unorthodox
setups. They cost me about 7 euro's a piece.
FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Fred

Post by Fred »

I want to do a compact CAS setup at some point, however not any time soon, sadly. Kind of you to offer, though.

When I do get around to it, I may mimic Honda with a dual VR setup and logic based sync. I'm a big fan of designs like that. Nissan and LT1 use a similar strategy and totally different implementation.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
ivan141

Post by ivan141 »

Small aside: Fred, you're welcome to one should you need it. From other takers I would at least want the digikey price + postage cost.
Digikey charges 18 euro's shipping on any order <65 euro's so I think the option to buy one at flat mail postage cost should be appealing.
The only other place I could find them was aliexpress, and TBH I dont trust chinese online sellers for buying high-end IC's.
FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Fred

Post by Fred »

I'd pay my way like anyone else. I was appreciative of the cost + postage offer :-)

Agreed re china ICs.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Matthijs

Post by Matthijs »

I like your setup and the way you have built your cam sensor =]
HD13
DIP8 - Involved

Post by HD13 »

ivan141 wrote: I bought myself some ATS675 camshaft hall sensor IC's from Allegro so

If anyone is interested in one of these sensors I still have about 4 I can spare since I had to order in bulk from digikey to save on shipping.
Figure someone here might have a use for one of these as it allows you to create any wacky sensor assembly you might need for some unorthodox
setups. They cost me about 7 euro's a piece.
@Ivan do you stil have those sensors, I could use one.
Price ? including posting (nederland)
Or are you around Utrecht on 27th ?
ivan141

Post by ivan141 »

Digikey price eur 7.21 + 21% BTW (=1.514) = 8,72 for the sensor.
Postage in NL would cost between 2 and 4 euro's. (based on 50-100g envelope or mailbox package, see: http://www.postnl.nl/tarieven/tarieven- ... ostzegels/ ).

I'm in the Rotterdam area myself and rarely ever visit Utrecht, so if you'd like to pick it up personally it will have to be in that area or perhaps
in the Eindhoven area when I visit my garage.
FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
HD13
DIP8 - Involved

Post by HD13 »

Send you an e-mail.