VolvoGuy's Jaguar 0.7 build Serial#21

Andy's GM DIS centric hardware design! Also works as a fuel controller for EDIS and distributor applications.
volvoguy
QFP80 - Contributor

VolvoGuy's Jaguar 0.7 build Serial#21

Post by volvoguy »

Received and being built for my Volvo, with the following components:

On the Jaguar:
TC4424A non-inverting output ignition driver.
250KPa MAP sensor, on-board AAP.

On the motor:
Throttle position sensor - Rover JZX3491.
Cylinder head temp sensor - Volvo 1362645.
Intake air temp sensor - Saab 9000/93/95-type.
Oxygen sensor - Bosch LSU 4.2 + Alan's Spartan controller.
Mazda MX5 MK1 Hall effect CAS. probably hall effect, will check soon
Ignition control module - Bosch 0 227 100 211
Coils - Bosch 0 221 503 407. NOPE (Suggestions encouraged, maybe 0221503407?)
Injectors - NOPE (Bosch 42lb if I can find a legit supplier).

The Bosch 0 227 100 211 ignition control module I picked up works fine. appears to be in good condition. I know that two signals from the ECU can be split to provide the four inputs for this to be used for wasted spark, but I can't find out whether it's advisable to use it to drive a 2x2 coil. I want to use something like a Bosch 0 221 503 407 but I don't know if I can use just a pair of channels on the control module.
Last edited by volvoguy on Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fred

Re: VolvoGuy's Jaguar 0.7 build Serial#21

Post by Fred »

I seem to recall discussing opto/hall possible differences with you once before, but we should check that before attempting to run.

Coils: What you can get locally of the laminated type that fit your idea of looks and connectivity/mounting/etc. Almost any modern coil is a decent choice with quick dwell and hot enough spark.

That "test" page you link to seems dodgy to me. I'd be looking to use a 12V supply and a bulb of some sort for a load, then measure the static voltage across the ignitor with the bulb glowing. Note, if the ignitor is darlington, which that likely is, you need to send it a current, not a voltage, and at some voltage threshold you can not send it enough current to saturate for your load. At this point the ignitor will drop a larger voltage and your coil will see a smaller one resulting in hot ignitor and weak spark. But hey, they rarely fail, so it's all good :-D

One coil per ignitor channel.
One TC4424 output per ignitor input.
1 to many TC4424 inputs per CPU pin.

If you want to share multiple ignitors from one TC4424 channel, you can, but use a separate dropping resistor for each so they get even and full drive.

If that's not clear, ask again :-)

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
volvoguy
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by volvoguy »

I bought a Bosch 0 221 503 407. It looks easy to get hold of second-hand here and in the US, it's used by a lot of US turbobrickers to get wasted spark with the Bosch LH EMS. I think the only/main FreeEMS project on that site is Sim's lunchbox full of breadboards so a nice clean Volvo conversion (here's hoping :) ) using components already owned by the guys who are likely to want to upgrade to a standalone EMS might find an audience.
Fred wrote:If that's not clear, ask again :-)
I think that's clear, for wasted spark with this 2x2 coil I'll have two CPU pins, two TC4424s, and two ignitor channels.
Fred wrote:I seem to recall discussing opto/hall possible differences with you once before, but we should check that before attempting to run.
It's a toss up between VR and Hall. When I had the degree wheel screwed onto it I could slowly roll it forwards and backwards by one degree and the DMM would either read full voltage or none. Some people say that's definitely Hall, some say that the VR unit also outputs a square-wave, some people say there wasn't even a VR CAS. The part number J825 7919 doesn't throw any light on the issue.
Fred

Post by Fred »

That vintage of mitsi/Mazda CAS is definitely either hall or opto. Toyota dizzys are VR. In any case, unscrew the two screws and find out. This will take 10 seconds unless you don't know what you're looking at,in which case upload a picture and wait up to 24 hours to find out :-)
volvoguy
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by volvoguy »

I got U2 and U3 confirmed working. EMStudio recognises the board and displayes fluctuating sensor readings. I populated the TPS section of the board and connected the TPS but it doesn't make a difference to the values that EMStudio reports. Is that to be expected?
Matthijs
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by Matthijs »

Did you wire it correctly? Do you measure 5v at the input of the TPS ?
Fred

Post by Fred »

No, that's not to be expected. You should see the value you expect to see if:

1) The circuit is complete and undamaged
2) The connections to the TPS are correct
3) The TPS is functional and actually works
volvoguy
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by volvoguy »

It's a few months since I soldered it, I just got it all out and wired up to see how far I got, and it works. I suspect that the wires I poked through the board for the TPS-5v and Sensor-GND were touching underneath the board :oops:

I'll get the temp and O2 sensor areas of the board done next I think. Edit: is it safe to assume that with the IAT and CHT I'm using I should use the resistors suitable for most sensors rather than the resistors listed as suitable for GM sensor?
Fred

Post by Fred »

There shouldn't be a distinction listed at all. They're almost the same value. As long as you know what you installed, and what sensor curve(s) you have, you can configure the firmware appropriately. GM and Denso are very similar, as are some others. If you had oddball ford sensors, you'd need a different value to get any accuracy.
volvoguy
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by volvoguy »

Thanks. I got the IAT, CHT, and EGO areas soldered up and the IAT values displayed by EMStudio seem pretty accurate out of the box.

I'm moving onto the AAP and MAP next, I noticed I can't find C54 printed on any of the component packages. Looking at the schematic it needs to be 0.1uF, can I use one of the ones from the packet of CAP CER 0.1UF 50V 10% RADIAL (P/N 399-4264-ND)?

MAP components in and confirmed functional with novelty drinks straw, feeling pretty cocky now...