malcom2073's EMStudio development thread. (Comments welcome)

Mike's cross-platform FreeEMS tuning application, written in C++ using QT. With Mike's natural coding talent and Fred's intimate requirement knowledge it went from concept to full tuning capability in just 8 weeks!
eraser87
TO220 - Visibile

Re: malcom2073's EMStudio development thread. (Comments welc

Post by eraser87 »

Hey,
so i tried your latest stable/unstable windows builds. I noticed that i can (using the offline-data fred posted) open the VE to timing tables. If i try to open the dwell or any of the following tables in the list, the program crashes on me, this happens with both the dev and the master build.
I also have a suggestion: Lots of tuning-laptops are likely to be of small display-resolutions (mine is 1024x768) and cannot see the whole gauge panel because of that, maybe you could scale it down a bit (any easy way to do this myself?).
If any of this is not helpful, let me know, i will shut up then ;)
Fred

Post by Fred »

Gauges need work. Eventually it'll be easy to scale them in the GUI, and there will be a lib of gauges, and a lib of them combined into dashes ah la MegaTunix. In the mean time, find the gauge file and hack to your taste :-)

Re crash, please file an issue here: http://issues.freeems.org/ and a guide if you don't know much about such things: viewtopic.php?f=54&t=1381

App should never crash, but file could be incompatible, and if so, he should handle that.

Selectable fonts would help with screen size issues too :-) Later, much later.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
malcom2073
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by malcom2073 »

New Builds to try:
32 Bit
64 Bit

Or if you're on Mac/Linux, build hash: 79f27a511599f73d1767207757bbbb22bebaae52 which is at the time of this post the unstable branch.

These are ultra-unstable, new builds from my new memory management changes. Should increase stability overall once I get all the testing done. Don't use these if it HAS to work for you, but please test them for me. I'm a bit busy lately, so I've not really had time to run through testing on this build.

Offline editing is gone/unstable, so I don't recommend trying it. You can save "offline" data while connected, then later load "offline" data while connected to save and load tunes, but they will likely not work while not connected to the ECU.
Timbosaurus
TO220 - Visibile

Post by Timbosaurus »

OK, so i'm new here, and I'm not sure how pedantic you are with issues, or what's already 'common knowledge'. Apologies for my noobness.

I don't have any hardware yet, so really thought I'd just have a play with the UI offline, and noticed some things that didn't see quite right. I read about the issue tracker, but i figured I'd mention them here first, and hopefully you guys can suggest if they're worth raising?

So EMStudio installed fine (on a 32-bit Win7 enterprise laptop), and I was just playing without any connection to hardware.

1) The hard reset button in the toolbar is clipped, regardless of whether it's docked right, docked left, or not docked at all

2) The links in the help menu are not functional for me

3) There is a blank toolbar in the toolbar menu (I assume it has content once connected?), and you can see the blank toolbar docked and you can move it around.

It'd be great if you could lemme know if I'm just wasting everyone's time with these suggestions, or what I should do when I notice things like this.
FreeEMS projects
- None (yet)
Others
- Toyota 1UZ-FE MS2 (twin VR, stepper idle); 1G-GTE MS2 (24/2 VR, stepper idle, boost control), 1G-GTE MS2 (24-1 missing tooth VR, stepper idle, low-Z); 18R-G MS2 (Points triggered); 4AGE 20V MS2 (factory wiring and sensors, 24/2 VR, 3 wire idle); and others...
ToxicGumbo
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by ToxicGumbo »

At the very least, awareness can only be a good thing. Mike's good about patching bugs and fixing oddities (and I'm not just saying that because he and I will be sharing a hotel room next week). Great work, especially with the screenshots! Keep 'em coming.

-Jeff
Fred

Post by Fred »

Thank you very much, Timbo! Great work! Keep em coming! Question everything, except perhaps my authoritah. :-)

If/when Mike re-adds offline mode you could go further without hardware.

One critique of your critique: It might pay to mention the hash and download source (dev or master binary) explicitly, though I see the hash is in a screeny anyway.

There are also some newer-than-build-box binaries floating around, Mike should update those and you should test those, as that's what I'm trying to use right now.

Fred.
Timbosaurus
TO220 - Visibile

Post by Timbosaurus »

Yeah, fair point. I installed the unstable (dev) executable EMStudioInstaller.i386.UNSTABLE.2013-10-18_09-02-08.exe, yet the version in the help menu/title is "StableTwo-103-g79f27a5", and the hash is "79f27a511599f73d1767207757bbbb22bebaae52".

Mike, the other thing I noticed is that, in addition to the EMStudio application running, the program has a console window in the backgroun. This also means two EMS Studio tabs/buttons in the taskbar. If I close the console, it obviously shuts the program down.

This is what the console looks like when brought into the foreground...

Timbo.
FreeEMS projects
- None (yet)
Others
- Toyota 1UZ-FE MS2 (twin VR, stepper idle); 1G-GTE MS2 (24/2 VR, stepper idle, boost control), 1G-GTE MS2 (24-1 missing tooth VR, stepper idle, low-Z); 18R-G MS2 (Points triggered); 4AGE 20V MS2 (factory wiring and sensors, 24/2 VR, 3 wire idle); and others...
Fred

Post by Fred »

Ominous sounding message, isn't it! Mike claimed to have noticed these posts, but hasn't replied. Hopefully he will soon.
malcom2073
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by malcom2073 »

Timbosaurus wrote:OK, so i'm new here, and I'm not sure how pedantic you are with issues, or what's already 'common knowledge'. Apologies for my noobness.
No apologies necessary! :)
Timbosaurus wrote:I don't have any hardware yet, so really thought I'd just have a play with the UI offline, and noticed some things that didn't see quite right. I read about the issue tracker, but i figured I'd mention them here first, and hopefully you guys can suggest if they're worth raising?
Always worth raising, but mentioning here is almost an acceptable close second :) Thanks for bringing these to my attention.
Timbosaurus wrote:It'd be great if you could lemme know if I'm just wasting everyone's time with these suggestions, or what I should do when I notice things like this.
Not a waste of anyone's time. Thank you very much for bringing this stuff up, these are indeed things that need to be fixed.

As for the console window and the git tag ID, that stuff is going to be fixed in the next "dev" release, appreciate you noticing :)

Thanks again!
Fred

Post by Fred »

Complaints from yesterday's use:

1) Invalid values should show as such, IE, feed text areas --.-- or similar and do something with the gauges to make it possible to tell "no data" from "zero data".

2) Offline/no device/etc is better than it was, but still not good. It should be obvious when you're not connected (see 1) in more than one way, eg, a status area saying "connected" in green or "offline" in red? sometimes it seems to not tell you you got cut off. This may be when the plug is pulled? Please work to improve this by abusing your equipment in random ways or involving a cat, dog or child to do it for you.

Fred.