FreeEMSer Of The Month

FreeEMS topics that aren't specific to hardware development or firmware development.
Fred

Re: FreeEMSer Of The Month

Post by Fred »

I was looking at this thread and thinking "Who did *anything* in July?" and then remembered the excellent work that someone put into EMStudio during July. I really hope we see much more out of this guy, he's got a LOT to offer! :-)

So, a belated congratulations to Sean Stasiak AKA EssEss, Mr FreeEMS for July 2013! Great work man! :-)

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Fred

Post by Fred »

Nearly a year of this thread goes past, and finally, we have Sean Keys. I reluctantly present this prize to Sean for August on the following basis:

1) a mere 11 tiny commits against the neglected loader (yay!)
2) purchase of a battery for the Camaro and subsequent retrieval of it from a cobweb hell (yay!)
3) the assumption that he'll have the Camaro up and running on vanilla within a few days or so
4) the assumption that he'll continue working on the loader and have it working on 3 platforms before xmas
5) the fact that no one else did anything much at all

And the caveat: I will retract this prize if the two assumptions are not made good on. I'll also probably slit my own wrists about the same time.

I've been wanting to do this for a long time. Finally I have a slither of an excuse to do it. Make me proud, Sean! Don't let me down again this year! Go!!! :-)

Fred.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Fred wrote:3) the assumption that he'll have the Camaro up and running on vanilla within a few days or so
A few days... or a month, or so. Still not hooked up with IAT (core!!!), TPS (very useful), or BRV (core!!!!!!), hopefully he resolves that tonight or so.

Anyone got any suggestions for September which has gone? Or for October which is passing us by right now? PM me!

Fred.
Fred

Post by Fred »

To be fair to Sean, though, he HAS been putting time into the loader ever since. So that's good. Still no sensors, though. But I'm past caring at this point. :-p

May I proudly present, two names that we've seen before, a second time each:

Firstly, Mr September is Mike Carpenter of EMStudio fame and glory.

Justification: Lots of work going into EMStudio to make it better without looking any different at all. This is called refactoring and it's a ****ING good thing. Thanks Mike! <3

Secondly, Mr October is the one, the only Jeff Sheldon!

Justification: I can't. Sorry, but trust me, this guy is a ****ing legend (or so his gf says, double entendres ftw), and has done two excellent deeds recently. One of them really made me go wow, and then smile. The other really made me smile straight off. The former will purely be good fun. The latter will mean a lot of hard work. Both should be great! :-)

December? Who's it gunna be. I have an idea for that too. But others could up and surprise me. Andy's been AWESOME recently, but someone else has quite literally changed my life (for the better), so they're likely to get a pat on the back for that. Only time can tell, though!

Fred.
ToxicGumbo
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by ToxicGumbo »

Fred wrote:Justification: I can't. Sorry, but trust me, this guy is a ****ing legend (or so his gf says, double entendres ftw), and has done two excellent deeds recently. One of them really made me go wow, and then smile. The other really made me smile straight off.
I was quite moved to read these kind words (while holed up in the Rocky Mountains no less). Absolutely unexpected. Thanks for honoring me with the privilege of being a "Two Timer".

I'm especially thankful that despite not being a developer, the opportunities exist to give back to the community and FreeEMS project through other means.

Cheers.
-Jeff
Fred

Post by Fred »

Well, November was QUITE the month! Two new FreeEMS vehicles fired up for the first time, and nearly a third. There were SO many people doing SO many great things that it's been awfully tough to decide. For a change, I'll list everyone who played a part in the success that the last month has been, and then name Mr FreeEMS and explain why he shone out above and beyond all of the other "AWESOME" that happened in November.

In no particular order (except saving the best for last), here they are:
  • Chris & Susie kindly welcomed the wife and I to the US of A! Next time I will be hosting you! I promise!
  • Eric made the entire US trip possible and coordinated the WikiSpeed people for me! Best of luck to you, Eric! I genuinely appreciate everything that you've done for me! <3
  • Joe was super cool with respect to my needs, and lent me his personal 2010 Subaru WRX for my time in Seattle! He also made us feel totally at home and welcome in his shop and home while we worked on number 26! Thanks, Joe! :-)
  • Jeff provided the shirts (for everyone, urr, I mean, y'all), a cowboy hat (to embarrass me), humour, technology, and key: LOTS of GREAT testing for EMStudio! Much appreciated, as always!
  • Mike provided amusement, and fixes for most of Jeff's issues found in above mentioned testing of EMStudio! I was using it today and it mostly kept me happy. Great work, Mike! Cheers!
  • Andy provided the necessary circuit technology to make our successes possible, and in a timely and accurate manner. Only a few minor cockups and nothing serious. He also filled in a gap and kept us safe and warm in Phoenix! Cheers!
  • Sim housed the entire FreeEMS clan in his warm and welcoming home and hosted the first ever North American FreeEMS meet up! He was also kind enough to let drive the infamous snot rocket around the mean streets of Vancouver. What a pleasure! Thanks, Sim! <3
  • Sean honoured his word in multiple ways (more on that later, not here), but pertinent to this thread, getting us from Phoenix to San Diego on time and in style! I really appreciate you doing what you did, mate! It's a damn shame you couldn't stay and hang out longer. A heart-felt thanks! <3 <3 (yes, two)
  • Olli very generously housed and fed us for a couple of days while we played with his sweet old 280z! Didn't quite get it running, but got pretty close. It may be by now, though? Thanks Olli!
  • Josh also generously housed and fed us for a couple of days while we played with his sweet old Mini! Got it running at the very last hour of the very last day! Number 27, congrats! Josh also took us to LAX on the last day and ensured we were safely dispatched back to little old NZ. Thanks for taking great care of us! :-)
  • Me! I worked my arse off on all three cars and eventually found success in 2.5 cases. I could NOT have achieved what I did without the help of everyone above, and especially the one below. So really, it's what we all achieved. What all of us achieved together! Thanks for your help, guys, it was an absolute pleasure! <3
Drum roll, PLEASE! Rat a tat tat!

Peter! Peter went above and beyond the call of duty in every way. He showed initiative and got stuck into things autonomously and consistently. He worked day and night on his AMC eagle Honda J V6 swap in order to get it ready to drive up, but in the end didn't quite finish it. Hard luck. Instead he drove all the way from south-west Wyoming to north-east Vancouver, and back again. On the way up he got worked over by the Canadian border people. <comments on border people censored> Sorry about that, dude! On the way back down he had a couple of dirty little stowaways with him. Thanks for that too, man! <3 With everyone else long gone, and only 48 hours to go, Peter and I slaved away to put the finishing touches on the WikiSpeed car together. Without Peter's presence, not only could I not have done anywhere near as much, I also wouldn't have been anywhere near as motivated to do anything there in the cold. At the end of the day, it was Peter who was there to take the wife and I to the airport, and as he pulled away Wyoming-bound, I shed a tear knowing it'll be a while before I see him again. And yet, the story still doesn't end! Going through my bags in Phoenix at Andy's parents' place I found a stowaway of my own, and shed another tear. Peter had sabotaged one of my checked in bags with a generous gift - more tears. Peter, it's with great pride that I name you FreeEMSer of the month! Thanks for everything, dude, you're a star! <3 <3 <3 (yes, three)

November saw the greatest Team efforts in all of FreeEMS history! A huge thanks to everyone listed above, and possibly some I forgot, but especially to Peter whose support I very deeply value!

Fred.
Peter

Post by Peter »

I feel like an ass since I undoubtedly did the least amount of actual work of anyone involved in the project, but thanks.
:-p
Fred

Post by Fred »

:-p Don't sell yourself short! The little things count and without your support we'd have all been much worse off. Besides, some of the things you did were FAR from little! :-p In short: You earned it!!!
ToxicGumbo

Post by ToxicGumbo »

The moment I saw a notification that this thread had been updated, my first thought was "Peter".

Great job and well deserved!

-Jeff
Fred

Post by Fred »

December, hmmmm.

Presto for preparing the hotel for me?
Toxic Jeff again for the same thing as last time?
The random guy up north who helped me with an old coil when I was stuck 4 hours from home?
Josh of yoshifab for trusting in FreeEMS' name on his brand new built engine?
via for being the best n00b ever?
Me for helping him out? (though I just discovered that I may have failed in that quest)
Peter again for making good progress on a certain sub-module/being a good bastard?
No one because very little got done while those of us down here enjoyed the sunshine and those of you up there avoided freezing to death?

Votes via PM with justification, please. I can't decide, and January is sneaking up on us now, too. Another challenge, by the looks.

Fred.