Licensing...

Mike's cross-platform FreeEMS tuning application, written in C++ using QT. With Mike's natural coding talent and Fred's intimate requirement knowledge it went from concept to full tuning capability in just 8 weeks!
malcom2073
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Re: Licensing...

Post by malcom2073 »

laminator wrote:With this new license, we can do a daughterboard to plug in MS 40 pin socket 2.2 board?
This license has nothing to do with hardware, this is the license for EMStudio, NOT FOR FREEEMS

So my new thought is to use LGPL. This would allow me to continue with the GPL values of free code, and still allow me to link in closed source plugins without fear of later retribution from any potential contributor.

What do you all think?
Fred

Post by Fred »

OK by me.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
johntramp

Post by johntramp »

Do you want to prevent someone from being able to write a plugin for another ecu and being able to distribute that as propriety code? Also, your MS plugin can still be sold and be GPL. Libre does not need to be gratis.
malcom2073

Post by malcom2073 »

I'm trying to prevent people who will later contribute to EMStudio's GPL code, from suing me for damages for the fact that I'm shipping a closed source plugin with an open source application.
malcom2073

Post by malcom2073 »

The new license is LGPLv2.1, with some files being dual licensed, LGPLv2.1/BSD 3-Clause at the distributors option.