Where to Start.....

FreeEMS topics that aren't specific to hardware development or firmware development.
disneyjoe7
DIP8 - Involved

Where to Start.....

Post by disneyjoe7 »

Hello,

I'm new to this, and don't know where to start.

My wish to run HHO in a 99 Toyota 4runner 3.4L V6 engine. Since I know HHO will mess up O2 sensors, and that HHO engine can use an Ignition advance, I feel DIYEFi would be a good start. The engine is Sequential fuel injected, with a Cam sensor. My plan is to not wire the whole engine, but to get an ECU case so anything needed to do could be in the case, so the case / ECU could be installed and work or the original ECU could be re-installed so everything is stock again.
Fred

Re: Where to Start.....

Post by Fred »

Hi and welcome!
disneyjoe7 wrote:My wish to run HHO in a 99 Toyota 4runner 3.4L V6 engine.
What do you mean?
HHO engine can use an Ignition advance
What do you mean by this to?

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
disneyjoe7
DIP8 - Involved

Post by disneyjoe7 »

Hydrogen Hydrogen Oxygen split water into HHO run into an ICE / engine, and it makes the engine to run leaner. It makes the gasoline burn completely but doing makes the 02 sensor to be leaner, the ECU will but more gas into the engine to make it the 02 sensor correct level. This forces the HHO increase MPG less of a MPG increase.

The HHO will make the engine to burn gasoline completely making to engine more cleaner emissions. The engine may like the ignition advance, so more is burn in the cylinder and less in the manifold.
Robb
TO220 - Visibile

Post by Robb »

It isnt that Hydrogen messes up o2 sensors, its that they read the extra oxygen in the exhaust and push the ecu rich to compensate for what it is programmed to "think" is a lean mixture, on most factory setups that is. Yes, a standalone will provide the solution for this problem, but it still has to be tuned.
DSMECU
92 Plymouth Laser RS AWD
87 RX7 GXL, LR4 turbo swap forthcoming
disneyjoe7
DIP8 - Involved

Post by disneyjoe7 »

Agreed, and feel its best to start and run EFI in a open loop.
ehb
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by ehb »

Hi,

to clarify this also for the others: By HHO he means a mixture of hydrogen and oxygen, produced on board with an electrolysis cell that's powered by the alternator. Typically such an electrolyser can produce 1 litre of gas (H and O combined) with ~160 watts.
Yes, extra oxygen is added to the combustion process but a) it's only a small amount compared to what the engine sucks through otherwise and b) it brings it's own fuel (H) with it! So actually the oxygen sensor shouldn't notice anything, all the "extra" O2 is already burned with the extra H.

The idea is that hydrogen burns quicker than gasoline and acts as a "flamefront enhancer" (or something like that, I'm tired) for the gasoline.
What I know from an own experiment: A 1.6l gasoline engine runs a bit smoother and shortens the injector duration when HHO (2-3 litres per minute) is added, BUT this electrolyser was not powered by the car itself. I have not done any more tests.
You could probably lean out the engine a bit more and optimize the timing with enough HHO added. But it's not that it adds O2 to the exhaust.

Best luck with your projects,
Stefan
Fred

Post by Fred »

Apologies for your posts not being visible disney.
disneyjoe7
DIP8 - Involved

Post by disneyjoe7 »

Fred wrote:Apologies for your posts not being visible disney.

Not an issue, with me hope in the future my post would be visible. I know spam is a problem and you need to do some programs to stop them.

Steve
Fred

Post by Fred »

Just one more to authorise before you're free :-)
disneyjoe7
DIP8 - Involved

Post by disneyjoe7 »

Hi Fred,

To explain a little better of what I'm trying to do see the video below. More or less my idea is to make an EFI engine into an older Carburetor / Distibutor controlled engine. Given greater control of engine when HHO is added to fuel mix. If in the end a Wideband sensor could be used some much the better.

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jJS8JFIqhh4&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jJS8JFIqhh4&hl ... &version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></embed></object>