HotCat's CatPower CPU board & PNP IO/Power board for Citroen

A home for new designs that are growing but haven't quite got their legs yet!
HotCat
LQFP112 - Up with the play

HotCat's CatPower CPU board & PNP IO/Power board for Citroen

Post by HotCat »

Fred told us to release earlier and often, this give me enough courage to share my ugly HW design. I've just uploaded it on github at https://github.com/HotCat/CatSquirt My design was divided into core board and I/O board, because I want to support more engines by replacing only I/O board. Currently I've finished core board fabrication and it can execute program by the control of codewarrior via a BDM interface.

I design a really tiny core board with only vital clock circuit on. No voltage regulator, no other chips such as MAX232. Three 8x2 header design to fan out I/O pins as well as power pins. I only export A/B/P/T/AD. About my I/O board, I only finish drawing schema, probably unfinished gnd connections. To ease my installation, I design my I/O board Pin-to-Pin compatible with stock Bosch ECU, I decide to use the ripped off harness interface from the stock ECU. So I would like to hear your first glance comments before I layout the board, I'll tune FreeEMS to do a batch injection and 4 cylinder wasted spark on Citroen TU5JP/K engine. Also I would like to add a GPL license to my project, but I don't know how to do it. Please feel free to add one for me.

I want to be the first Chinese user running FreeEMS on real vehicle rather than on a simulator like JimStim, so never hesitate to criticize my board as much as you can :lol:

core board design

front view

back view

a friend of mine helps me solder S12XDP512, this chip probably was a ripped off stuff and a little difficult to solder

Finally, it works and responds to BDM

my favourite IBM T30 laptop and I bought another T30 to run debian exclusively

here we can see the chip is working, I only spent 5$ for S12XDP512
Last edited by Fred on Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Formatted slightly and fixed part number spelling.
Fred

Re: My core board & I/O board design, need your comments

Post by Fred »

SO cool man! :-) LOVE it! I'll review in detail later, as I have things to do this morning, but one thing, you don't mention bringing out the serial pins for comms. If not, you won't be able to tune it except via BDM burns.

Primary comms are over SCI0 which uses PS0 and PS1.

I think the other pins are well chosen, so far.

If you've not seen this, please take a look:

http://issues.freeems.org/view.php?id=190

I'd recommend that on your IO board you have traces from port B 0 - 5 and port T 2 -7 that both go to the injector drivers and have the port T 2 - 7 pins go to ignition drivers too (pre or high power) with the option of installing or removing resistors to reconfigure the main outputs.

You should also have 100k pull downs on all digital output pins, ie, port B, port T 2 - 7, etc.

Please take a look at the RavAGE project PDF, the schematic there is close to ideal, and if you take into account the TODO.md file in that repository then you can figure out what is wrong with it, more or less.

As for GPL, just put a README.md file in there with

Code: Select all

### CatSquirt

This is a project by <yourname> to implement a hardware design for FreeEMS. It is licensed under GPL V3 (OR V2 you choose...), please see the LICENSE.txt file for more information.
I hope that helps! Thanks again for posting! :-)

I <3 pics! :-)

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Fred

Post by Fred »

What type of RPM sensor(s) does your engine have, BTW? If you have enough position information to run wasted spark, you may as well run semi sequential injection instead of dirty old batch :-)
Fred

Post by Fred »

Hey, I see files from Jared and Marcos in your repo, including TAPR license stuff. If you used their stuff, then you have to respect that license, which is fine, as the intent is just a hardware applicable GPL anyway. However, it doesn't look like you did use their stuff, so you may as well clean up the old files. You should clarify that, though.

Good luck being the first FreeEMSer in China! :-) I've run an engine there, but not on FreeEMS!

Fred.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Comment from facebook, "CatSquirt? OMG. Does it smell as bad as it sounds?" - as much as I did laugh, quite a lot, he is right. If you want this accepted by the English speaking world you may want to reconsider the name. Cat squirt brings images of cats marking their territory. I didn't think about this earlier. How about CatECU or CatEMS? :-) Or pick a type of cat like Marcos did with Puma and I did with Cheetah :-)
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by jharvey »

Fred wrote:Hey, I see files from Jared and Marcos in your repo, including TAPR license stuff.
This is one of the reasons why I have a mild preference to work under MIT and specify NA for my portion of the copy right signature. I don't want a tracking mechanism that causes me to be bothered with this kind of content. I wave all right to anything that my be included in the designs of DFH or PUMA. You won't have to worry about me bugging you about that kind of stuff. However when your working with GPL, you do have several third parties that will make it an issue.

Keep up the good work.
HotCat

Post by HotCat »

Fred wrote:What type of RPM sensor(s) does your engine have, BTW? If you have enough position information to run wasted spark, you may as well run semi sequential injection instead of dirty old batch :-)
I got stock VR sensor mounted on crankshaft rather than camshaft, so it is impossible to run full sequential injection. Run semi sequential injection is possible, but as I am a newbie on electricity, I want to make my engine idle ASAP, then consider optimize it in progress
Last edited by HotCat on Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HotCat

Post by HotCat »

Fred wrote:you don't mention bringing out the serial pins for comms. If not, you won't be able to tune it except via BDM burns.
I do export serial pins, I decide to install MAX232 on I/O board and I won't mount DB9 connector as it is awkward, use 2 pin header instead
Fred wrote: You should also have 100k pull downs on all digital output pins, ie, port B, port T 2 - 7, etc.
why pull downs is necessary? I don't find such pull downs on Puma board
HotCat

Post by HotCat »

jharvey wrote:
Fred wrote:Hey, I see files from Jared and Marcos in your repo, including TAPR license stuff.
This is one of the reasons why I have a mild preference to work under MIT and specify NA for my portion of the copy right signature. I don't want a tracking mechanism that causes me to be bothered with this kind of content. I wave all right to anything that my be included in the designs of DFH or PUMA. You won't have to worry about me bugging you about that kind of stuff. However when your working with GPL, you do have several third parties that will make it an issue.

Keep up the good work.
Does that means GPL is more restricted than MIT? I am living in a nation with no sense about license, I need to strive hard to learn something about them. In fact, I clone a project from Marcos and work on it, I don't notice DFH stuff and the TAPR license it use
HotCat

Post by HotCat »

Fred wrote:Good luck being the first FreeEMSer in China! :-) I've run an engine there, but not on FreeEMS!
I am so interesting about that engine, tell me more? what type of vehicle dose this engine powered for? in which province?