Christmas Goal!!

Official FreeEMS vanilla firmware development, the heart and soul of the system!
Fred

Christmas Goal!!

Post by Fred »

For christmas this year, I would like to be driving my truck on FreeEMS!

Truck: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16

Currently the engine is damaged, but the loom is neat and tidy, and therefore easy to add new shlt to.

I can get the engine fixed pretty quickly once I get some room to work on it etc. Should have that soon. We'll see what happens! SeanK, you up for this? Dave, how about you? Marcos? Aaron? I'm gunna give it a shot! :-)

There is a mazda meet up on the 19th december that I'd like to attend in it. So fix engine is first, get freeems on there is second.

Fred.

PS, but i'll probably fail miserably.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
wrcbfmr
TO220 - Visibile

Re: Christmas Goal!!

Post by wrcbfmr »

fail's not in my vocabulary fred, it shall be so!
nitrousnrg
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by nitrousnrg »

LOL I was listening to the "Eye of tiger" just when I read the post. I could be momentarily biased by that coincidence.

I'm pretty hard into hardware right now, and it would be quite insane to have a board ready for december (I'm not saying it would be bad ;-). Do you want a gift board for Christmas or an ecumanager.deb? Maybe something else?

The boards needs to be made/assembled/get working, ECUmanager needs to learn how to modify the cpu's ram/flash to be usable. Showing cpu's internal variables is not enough.

Ask me if you think I could be useful, I'm facing one pretty f*cked exam per week til christmas, but that was on the plan anyways.

Keep me informed :-)
Marcos
Fred

Post by Fred »

Marcos, I wrote a serial doc for Dave this morning. With some luck the magic man will come through with the goods for us :-) If not, python tuner works, and I can hack it up to do the rest of what I need. It wouldn't be too hard to add table adjusting support, though, if you had to.

Don't panic about the h/w, better to take it slow and do that right the first time. Esp at this time of year. I'm planning to use the MegaJizz mainboard anyway, at least for most of the functionality. I may use a set of autofets for the injectors on a bit of perf board. H/W I'll figure out! :-)

Focus on your exams! :-) If we need ecumanager to do more, I reckon you could knock it together pretty fast.

Fred.
Fred

Post by Fred »

The freeems-the-truck project suffered a major setback today when number two rod exited the block stage left leaving a trail of oil bigger than the exon valdese down the motorway, and lots of pieces of metal bouncing around.
MotoFab
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by MotoFab »

Jeez, sorry about that, man.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Dont be, I was laughing, a lot. And i have a vehcile to freeems if I can't sort out some mazda loving. My friends t25 citreon GS has blowby and he doesnt mind me putting my stuff on there.
Fred

Post by Fred »

I've been donated a bottom end by a nice West Aucklander with a rotary habit, so the show is back on the road, but on a tighter time frame. I have to strip my engine bay, swap everything across to the new engine, and put it all back in again. Not a small task!
Fred

Post by Fred »

Today, after a 3 hour conversation with a beautiful Spaniard called Isabel, I began taking the truck's engine bay apart at 1:30pm. I just packed up and came inside at 10pm, 7.5 hours with timeouts subtracted. The turbo and exhaust manifold are off, radiator out, pulleys and cambelt off, rocker cover off, most of the coolant plumbing is removed, all ex side bracketry gone, alternator off, intercooler plumbing disconnected.

Left to do removal wise, intake manifold and fuel supply, starter, oil pressure sensor, oil cooler, head, block/sump, engine mounts, clutch/flywheel.

I'll get most of that unbolted tomorrow and find out if the head is fcuked or not. Right now, if you made me guess, I'd say that the head is toast due to piston contact. I found a chunk of piston in the sump earlier and the edge of it had a hammered down look to it, like the head had beaten it to a pulp.

I have two spare heads, however this head is modified coolant plumbing wise, so I'd have to do that to the replacement too. I'd also have to have them decked, and fully reassemble them, both are completely stripped. Even if the current head is damaged, I may just throw it back on anyway and live with a slightly lower compression quench free number 2 cylinder. It's only a "get it back on the road" effort anyway.

I'll find out how bad it is/isn't tomorrow, though.

I've also got my piece of PCB with dil 50 sockets on it that I made up for the toyota in the UK here. I'll be cutting it down to fit the ms 3.0 main board with some jumpers and something to plug into the ms cpu socket. I'll follow the ms2extra pin arrangement such that others can use the design similarly, even if it is a hand made setup.

I'll check back in here tomorrow evening!

Fred.
dandruczyk
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by dandruczyk »

I had a motorcycle that ate some screws and chewed on them for a little while. Looked like a cocaine sniffing midget with a ball peen hammer went nuts in the cylinder beating the hell outta the head and piston. Head albeit looked ugly worked perfectly fine after sticking in a new set of valves from a spare head and lapping them in. Get some of that crack finding goo and a blacklight and see if yours got cracked or just beat on a little, if the gasket surface is still flat and theres no cracks, just reuse it.