FreeECU

Free Open Source Firmware project discussion forum. Post your Free Open Source firmware projects here!
johntramp
LQFP112 - Up with the play

FreeECU

Post by johntramp »

Hi.

I came across this project today; http://bitbucket.org/a.turowski/freeecu
Do any of you know anything about it?
FreeECU is a project of high-end injection and ignition system for internal combustion engine. High-end means that it is designed to be capable to drive V12 engine with turbo/supercharger system installed. Please find some more FreeECU features below:

* capable to collect and log data from additional "degugging" sensors, which are not present in final ECU system. This feature is extremely useful during engine tuning.
* contains integrated 3D accelerometer which allows to make "home made" dyno-like measurements.

The whole system is designed to be modular. It means that you can easily do not assemble unused block to reduce the overall cost. Fully featured system set contains:

* FreeECU main board
* from 1 up to 3 drivers boards - each can drive up to 6 injectors/actuators etc. with flyback option to reduce injector closing time when necessary.

Main board contains the following:

1. AT91SAM7X256 MCU (ARM7TDMI core) to control everything
2. 20kPa-250kPa MAP sensor
3. 3D accelerometer
4. 12 permanent and 2 optional analog voltage inputs (0-9V)
5. 6 digital logic inputs (they accept signals within 4-15V range)
6. 6 digital frequency measuring inputs (4-15V amplitude range, 20Hz-2kHz frequency range)
7. up to two inductive pick-up inputs
8. CAN interface driver
9. USB interface to communicate with PC
10. USB interface for debugging firmware
11. RTC
12. 1MByte of SPI DataFLASH memory for logs
13. onboard temperature sensors to monitor internal temperature

Main board supports in-circuit JTAG emulator, which allows to connect external debugger.

Driver boards are connected to main board using ribbon cables. Driver boards contains high power/current drivers which are able to drive wide range of injectors/actuators. Single driver board can drive up to 6 injectors/actuators.

Fully featured system is capable of driving up to 12 independent injectors banks and up to 6 actuators. Of course this ratio can change because there is almost no hardware limitation preventing using injector driving channel to drive actuator or actuator channel to drive injector. So it is up to firmware how these drivers boards are used.
Fred

Re: FreeECU

Post by Fred »

No, and thanks for the link! :-) I'll be spending some time studying his source over the next few weeks if the license is a compatible one. What is the license, do you know?
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by jharvey »

At first i thought it might be related to this one.

http://batchpcb.com/index.php/Products/28711

However, at a second look, it appears that it's not related. Looks like an interesting project, I have an ARM board sitting here, perhaps I can put it to use.
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by jharvey »

Just a note, this fellow has posted his schematics for the hardware. I think he posted that after this thread mentioned the project, so this is just a FYI.
Fred

Post by Fred »

This is written using FreeRTOS which is GPL2. He has a lot of build time options, and one of his last commits changed a variable/build time config to a hard coded value. I don't like the code much, but there may be things to learn from it. I'll study it more at a later date.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!