Enclosure for freeEMS

From DIY contraptions to sophisticated FreeEMS-specific designs! Plus general hardware development!
davebmw
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Re: Enclosure for freeEMS

Post by davebmw »

Bear in mind that some people will want to fit this unit in the engine bay so it has to have OTT heatsinking as engine bay temps can get extremly hot +70 degrees C. the material of the case must be stiff enough to maintain watertight seal against the lid and connectors mounting plate.
I love the idea of a clear lid to see the LED's strobing, in that harsh environment, polycarbonate with softning temperatures over 110 deg C its an ideal candidate.
93'BMW 325is M50B25TU, Rebuilt 06/06, JE10.5:1, polish&port. Scorpion BB, K&N CAI, TEJ21 WBO2, '07 M3 Evo 18" 225F, 255R, EBC Kevlar, Bilstien Sprint, Polyflex. Head rebuild Oct'08, OEM+FSE FPR, MS2v3.0_DJB Custom, Extra 2.0.1
Fred

Post by Fred »

If we did high Z and logic ignition then it would be about 5w to sink which is negligible. If we include ignition it needs to be decent. If we include low Z it needs to be good.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
GrowlingandBiffo
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by GrowlingandBiffo »

jharvey wrote:I've seen / used these on a couple of other projects, I like them, but I'm not sure if they work right for an automotive app.

http://www.hammondmfg.com/dwg9TBU.htm

I guess relay covers are ABS, so this shouldn't melt or anything. I don't think we will have a huge need for heat sinking, so perhaps we can simply hang a aluminum bar out the side, or out the bottom, and that will be good enough. I guess we'll find out about the heat requirements shortly.

I like the translucent cover because it allows easy visibility of the LED's and doesn't require punching extra holes in the case. Besides, with all those extra LED's hanging off port A, we can also include a light show. If you use laser diodes, we have a laser show. Not only is it an EMS, but after it's done a hard days work in an extreme environment, it likes to bust a groove.
You are right they are not suitable for an automotive application.

Also sealed to IP 54 is not that impressive.

However you then have to machine then to take the connector, which you have to buy and then try to seal.

Also they are expensive, compared to using one from a scrap yard, like our leader has just started working with...