Enclosure for freeEMS

From DIY contraptions to sophisticated FreeEMS-specific designs! Plus general hardware development!
Fred

Re: Enclosure for freeEMS

Post by Fred »

Oh, no screws then? Bit old fashioned I presume :-)

Thanks for pointing that out.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Jake Breyck
DIP8 - Involved

Post by Jake Breyck »

I might be a dreamer but i think it should look like this. Image
Fred

Post by Fred »

WOW, what do they cost? Moon beams with 500g of diamonds on top? :-)
AbeFM
Post Whore!

Post by AbeFM »

I don't think it takes a tool - I think you CAN use a tool. They are trying to show how a factory would automate it. Nothing in there looks like something I couldn't do with my bare hands to assemble, and two screwdrivers to get it apart.

My guess is they are pricey in small quantities.
-Abe.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Bump for the cases thread.
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by jharvey »

Hey who bumped me?

Check Almag from Canada. Custom extruded alum. I seem to recall the die is a flat fee of around $250, then you pay by the pound after that. Pricing was quite reasonable, at least 5 years ago it was.

http://www.almag.com/

My experience was with a company that made this product called the DockLED. I see there's a youtube about it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rUxeEo-yvk as you can see we made it quite rugged. I seem to recall it cost $8 per case, with machining and such.
ababkin
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by ababkin »

Got one of those hammond ones

here are some spy shots, if anyone's curious:

also tried to fit an MS v3 board into it and the board doesn't clear about 1-2mm.

Alex
Legal disclaimer for all my posts: I'm not responsible for anything, you are responsible for everything. This is an open and free world with no strings attached.
GrowlingandBiffo
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by GrowlingandBiffo »

jharvey wrote:Hey who bumped me?

Check Almag from Canada. Custom extruded alum. I seem to recall the die is a flat fee of around $250, then you pay by the pound after that. Pricing was quite reasonable, at least 5 years ago it was.

http://www.almag.com/

My experience was with a company that made this product called the DockLED. I see there's a youtube about it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rUxeEo-yvk as you can see we made it quite rugged. I seem to recall it cost $8 per case, with machining and such.
In the UK a tooling die will cost about £500, and case extrusions about £2 each you will need to take half a tonne of extrusion.

Or you can buy Hammond or Lincoln Binns if you want one or two.

You then need to buy an AMPseal or similar connector.

Total est £50

Alternative is a Cinch Modice, from Farnells

Or like Fred use one that cost thousands of pounds to develop, that has been tried and tested, and very well made and available world wide, at lots of local stockists for all makes and models of vehicle, for about £10 including the connector....

In the true DIY sense go down to your local scrap yard or car breakers and ask for a faulty ECU fro your car of choice.

Strip case, remove and recycle the OEM PCB. Then fit your new PCB. Really keen types will paint or polish or even chrome said case.

Favoured cases are Bosch 55pin..Citroen BMW Audi ect
davebmw
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by davebmw »

GrowlingandBiffo wrote:
In the true DIY sense go down to your local scrap yard or car breakers and ask for a faulty ECU fro your car of choice.

Strip case, remove and recycle the OEM PCB. Then fit your new PCB. Really keen types will paint or polish or even chrome said case.

Favoured cases are Bosch 55pin..Citroen BMW Audi ect
That is exactly what i have done, bought a second ECU removed the connector to use on a custom PCB with originally the MS2 plugged into it.
The rest of the case will be an aluminium base plate with a fabricated stainless steel lid with TIG welded corners.

if however a nice case comes along that will save me a few hours in the shed all the better! :D
93'BMW 325is M50B25TU, Rebuilt 06/06, JE10.5:1, polish&port. Scorpion BB, K&N CAI, TEJ21 WBO2, '07 M3 Evo 18" 225F, 255R, EBC Kevlar, Bilstien Sprint, Polyflex. Head rebuild Oct'08, OEM+FSE FPR, MS2v3.0_DJB Custom, Extra 2.0.1
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by jharvey »

I've seen / used these on a couple of other projects, I like them, but I'm not sure if they work right for an automotive app.

http://www.hammondmfg.com/dwg9TBU.htm

I guess relay covers are ABS, so this shouldn't melt or anything. I don't think we will have a huge need for heat sinking, so perhaps we can simply hang a aluminum bar out the side, or out the bottom, and that will be good enough. I guess we'll find out about the heat requirements shortly.

I like the translucent cover because it allows easy visibility of the LED's and doesn't require punching extra holes in the case. Besides, with all those extra LED's hanging off port A, we can also include a light show. If you use laser diodes, we have a laser show. Not only is it an EMS, but after it's done a hard days work in an extreme environment, it likes to bust a groove.