Why 16BIT? Why Not 32BIT?

From DIY contraptions to sophisticated FreeEMS-specific designs! Plus general hardware development!
Fred

Re: Why 16BIT? Why Not 32BIT?

Post by Fred »

Movex wrote:Yes, doing comm tasks or bit banging works really fine but that's far below what the Xgate can achive. Implementing angle clock would be nice.
I may be blind, but I really don't see a huge benefit to doing this. Provided that you can accurately schedule all of your events between input events, what does it matter? If the answer is "knock windowing" or similar, you could implement a rough clock for that fairly easily, but outside of your timers or using the xgate you wont be able to make use of the resolution. If you want the angle clock to reflect reality you need to add degrees at a variable rate due to the current acceleration of the engine etc. = 32bit math = xgate not so good for that.

Over rated IMO.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
deviousKA
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by deviousKA »

If there was ever a parallel project based on another micro, I vote AVR xmega ;) They can be had in a large variety of pin counts (44-100) , programmers are cheap, and they have suitable performance/architecture for a high performance (barebone) ems, in my opinion.

http://www.atmel.com/products/AVR/default_xmega.asp

pest :mrgreen:
GrowlingandBiffo
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by GrowlingandBiffo »

We are a fan of this brand, however this model is not suitable for automotive applications, according to the manufacture.
NB Automotive is a very harsh and demanding application...

"AVR XMEGA microcontrollers have the same acclaimed characteristics as the established AVR devices, and operates from just 1.6 volt with up to 32 MIPS at 32 MHz. Memory size range from 16 to 384 KB of Flash and they come in 44- to 100-pin packages. The XMEGA devices are general purpose microcontrollers well suited for a variety of applications including audio systems, ZigBee®, power tools, medical , board controllers, networking, metering, optical transceivers, motor control, white goods and any battery powered product."

Keep up the good work one and all, it is most impressive