V8/10/12 Sequencial Injection

From DIY contraptions to sophisticated FreeEMS-specific designs! Plus general hardware development!
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Re: Where FreeEMS sits in the "market"

Post by jharvey »

My understanding is that Fred has a 6 banger, so it worked well for him as a test platform. There is certainly enough hardware and software room for 8, but the focus is to work with what he has. It's a KISS approach.

I've been working on the schematic and PCB with the intention of adding injectors, ignition, other at a later date. I'm taking a modular approach, so you can add or delete certain features as you wish.
Fred

Re: Fred's FreeEMS prototyping hardware comments thread

Post by Fred »

I don't own a 6 pot. I just intend to get one in the future. I may even get a V8 in future, but I wouldn't be all that concerned about sequential on it if I do. The more cylinders you have the less it matters.

If you had 1000 cylinders you could dump in fuel however you wanted and it would run smooth enough. Additionaly if you did "semi" on the 1000 cylinder engine the throttle response would be fantastic. In that respect semi on a v8 gives nearly the same response as full sequential on a 4 cylinder. Large cylinder count engines are much less sensitive to the differences that sequential brings. Lastly, it's also less important because typically you make "enough" power with less specific power on a V8 and therefore don't have huge injectors and the associated problems that sequential helps avoid. If you were building a 6 litre 1200hp v8 I would say sequential would be beneficial, but not at 600hp, there it doesn't matter much.

Hardware limitation is the reason anyway, there are only 8 timer channels and 2 are needed for accurate RPM acquisition. That leaves 6 for general use. There is nothing stopping us from putting out a software variant that controls 8 channels sequentially and less accurately in the future, but it's not a high priority at the moment.

I hope that helps.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
johu
QFP80 - Contributor

V8 sequential injection

Post by johu »

Thanks Fred. Your answer and earlier discussions on this thread are very informative.
Fred

Re: V8/10/12 Sequencial Injection

Post by Fred »

No worries :-)

I think Sean mentioned the only real disadvantage earlier which is that if you need to trim cylinders you can't without sequential. If your manifolds and heads are reasonable though you shouldn't need to do that at all really. I'm not familiar with your engine setup (even though you told me about it) but none of the little jap engines need any sort of cylinder trim unless you are trying for the equivalent of 1800hp from your engine :-)

What sort of output are you looking for on her anyway? Boost or NA?

Fred.
SleepyKeys
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by SleepyKeys »

Even my old pushrod V8 dinosaur has very little offset and thats only specified for idle conditions. I'll post up the tables tonight.
You snooze, you lose!
johu
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by johu »

Fred wrote:What sort of output are you looking for on her anyway? Boost or NA?
Setup is close to what it's from factory. I don't think this setup has that high requirements from ECU. Only changes are intake manifold with throttle body, headers, camshaft and valve covers. Since new valve covers don't have provisions for stock COP ignition and I prefer bit more traditional look I'm using ACDelco D585 coil packs from GM for ignition. Still need to decide if I dare to sandwich them between intake manifold and block or hide somewhere else to keep them cool.

BTW. Any opinions on firing both plugs (in one cylinder) at exactly same moment or should there be slight delay between to create longer duration for spark?
Fred

Post by Fred »

johu wrote:BTW. Any opinions on firing both plugs (in one cylinder) at exactly same moment or should there be slight delay between to create longer duration for spark?
Start a thread in general EMS and you might find a few more people commenting. This isn't the place for that and I'd only be guessing anyway, I suspect both at the same time, but it would be interesting to have a discussion on it :-)
L98TPI
TO220 - Visibile

Post by L98TPI »

I would like to put in a vote for covering V8s. In my hot rod crowd any box that could not do 8 sequential and 8 spark is not all that attractive. I hear ya about the "not a big deal with more cylinders" its a lot about the perceived limitation. Oh and I need stepper motor IAC too :D Maybe there is a clever way to read rpm without using timers?
Any tool can be the right tool...
SleepyKeys
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by SleepyKeys »

Those kinds of crowds are the most fun to beat up on with "inferior" home brew "junk".

or the other way around haha
You snooze, you lose!
Delta
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by Delta »

L98TPI wrote:I would like to put in a vote for covering V8s. In my hot rod crowd any box that could not do 8 sequential and 8 spark is not all that attractive. I hear ya about the "not a big deal with more cylinders" its a lot about the perceived limitation. Oh and I need stepper motor IAC too :D Maybe there is a clever way to read rpm without using timers?
Plenty of easy ways to read rpm - lots of IC's that do frequency to voltage conversion - its not RPM thats the problem - its engine angle. You not only want to know how fast its turning - but also where in the 720deg it is. You can get away with knowing where in the 360deg it is if you use wasted spark and semi sequential (two fire at once) injection. Some engine control systems make do with very archaic angle control - ie use some algorithm that takes one pulse per rev at a fixed angle plus the current rpm plus the expected rpm accel +- based on say tps, map etc. This is fine if you know a lot about the engine and are not concerned with very accurate timing of spark and injector.

It IS possible with enough cpu grunt to input to an interupt line rather than a hardware timer but I wouldn't want to do it if you plan on high rpm - which an EMS must cater for.