Injector Timing Alarm???

From DIY contraptions to sophisticated FreeEMS-specific designs! Plus general hardware development!
Kyrasis6
TO220 - Visibile

Injector Timing Alarm???

Post by Kyrasis6 »

Ok, I was overclocking my new computer last night and torture testing it and later was thinking about a guy I went to school with who turbocharged his civic.

To make a long story short I ended up making some adjustments to his car because the piggyback system he used to tweak his injector timing and fuel pressure was causing injector pintles to float and flooding the hell out of the car.

Anyways I was thinking it would be a nice feature to monitor the flyback voltage from the injector and then use an algorithem to detect when an injector is not operating as it should. If the injector was stuck open for any reason including excessive fuel pressure used for overboosting, of if an injector failed and was not operating the system could see the missing flyback voltage spikes and detect a problem throwing an injector alarm.

It shouldn't be two hard to implement. What do you guys think?
Owner of Mazdatruckin.com
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Re: Injector Timing Alarm???

Post by jharvey »

I've had similar interests, I called it an on-board scope. Using one or two of the A/D's with a MUX or some type of movable input path. I see this as very handy for diag and tunning. However it's also an advanced feature, and I'm not so sure Fred is very horny about it.

Reasons why I think it's good, many people don't have scopes, scopes are hard to have connected when running the vehicle down the road, scopes likely won't have sync with the rest of the EMS data logs and the on-board scope data can be locally processed to find events and capture on advanced sequences.

I know it's definitely not being worked on at the moment. We are currently focusing on the bare min. Getting it going is priority for now. On a good note, as far as I can see, those opportunities are being left open for future work.
Fred

Re: Injector Timing Alarm???

Post by Fred »

Actually, I've recently realised that a scope setup IS possible, just not analysed by the EMS ;-)

I'll implement this fairly soon if someone wants to do a display app for it. (it's easy as pie to do.)

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!