Ion Sensing ideas and circuit designs

From DIY contraptions to sophisticated FreeEMS-specific designs! Plus general hardware development!
wazza77
TO220 - Visibile

Re: Ion Sensing ideas and circuit designs

Post by wazza77 »

ok this is the schmatic that i have been messing with dont trust any values i have been messing with values to se how thay change things and how much energy is absorbed from the coil (edit) sorry guys i cant upload for some reson
wazza77
TO220 - Visibile

Post by wazza77 »

dave as for regulating the dc output across the gap it is not needed and if it was we can account for it. we are not reading exact values of pressure to a scale like psi. we are reading information like the PPP relative to crank angle so we are reading position and signal information such as spikes in pressure relitive to the rest of the signal also we are reading on a signal to signal basis with a cap charging accros a zenner it is alway being charged the same and even if the cap loses its value over time it will not be diferent ove the last 100 cycles
wazza77
TO220 - Visibile

Post by wazza77 »

Jharvey
the simulation that i once had acces to was simplorer from ansys i just had to pull out my old laptop looks like i still have a coppy of it from work.
it was good to simulate heaps of stuff in for instance all i had to do for a spark plug is creat a black box and tell it to behave in a certain way but i do understand the open source way of doing things and i use open source when i can (if i cant i try to find other ways :shock: )
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by jharvey »

Awesome, I look forward to seeing your schematic. I'm not a opensource extremist. I use it when it fits the bill. If you have access to tools that are more developed or more mature, by all means use them. Perhaps the biggest down side is that others might not be able to collaborate with you about specifics and details.
arsenix
TO220 - Visibile

Post by arsenix »

Does anyone know what car's use these coils? They look great but if you can't get them... not so useful.

James
EssEss
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by EssEss »

Most modern Harley's have them .. If I remember right, I've seen them on softails way back to 2001.
wazza77
TO220 - Visibile

Post by wazza77 »

just about any modern twin cam engine most jap cars nissan etc audi vw (same car) hell the list is endless

sorry guys i have been a little swamped had a brain fart about spark duration mesuerment and using this to controle dwell with high and low limits and for detecting shorts and disconected secondery mc33810 :D

still trying to figiure out how to poast schmatic
arsenix
TO220 - Visibile

Post by arsenix »

Wow I didn't realize how common ion sensing ignition had become. Guess all the patents ran out :)

I'll have to poke around some more and see if I can find some Delphi coils off an application that would fit in my vehicles.

With these coils and modern cheap+fast DSPs readily available it really shouldn't be that bad to implement.

James
wazza77
TO220 - Visibile

Post by wazza77 »

if you look up a paper called "An Ion Current Based Peak-Finding Algorithm
for Pressure Peak Position Estimation" by Magnus Hellring, Ulf Holmberg
the math that is used here is much less processor intensive and the fact that it starts at the back of the data and works toward the ignition event means that not as much data is procesed and you can kill the process as soon as it finds the end of flame front just making it faster again and if it were procesed in the xgate processor well i think it would be doable

as for the pat just about every engine management companey has some pat on ion sens and there own system and a way of using the data it has been on the market for some time there was a company in the us called Adrenaline Research Inc that was making a system for racing teams but from the system that i had a good look at it was looking for missfire events if it found one it would fire the energy it stored in a separate circuit through the coil of that cylinder and create a masive spark (lots of energy it was so loud in the workshop and a hell of a flash) the idea is that it would create a masive flame cernel and that it would catach up to were it was ment to be in the flame front event and continue the process as normal so that you would not lose power in that cycle and chance a afterfire event wich can realy stuf the works up in a very highly tuned engine that is running at its stressed limits

p.s. just asked around through the grape vine a company brought them out there some govener company and there is a paper relesed using ion sense in gas turbine engines i was told that thay are looking at running the engins at there combustion limits or something I will try to snif out some more
wazza77
TO220 - Visibile

Post by wazza77 »

just a small list looks like thay hav been very industrious

http://www.sumobrain.com/result.html?p= ... rch=Search