Ion Sensing ideas and circuit designs

From DIY contraptions to sophisticated FreeEMS-specific designs! Plus general hardware development!
davebmw
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Re: Ion Sensing ideas and circuit designs

Post by davebmw »

This is a problem we'll have, because of OEM cost's due to relatively new technology and it's yet to be widespread. We will have to work from theory and notes from previous implementations.

It will inevitably be an interesting experiment, but ultimately quite rewarding :)
93'BMW 325is M50B25TU, Rebuilt 06/06, JE10.5:1, polish&port. Scorpion BB, K&N CAI, TEJ21 WBO2, '07 M3 Evo 18" 225F, 255R, EBC Kevlar, Bilstien Sprint, Polyflex. Head rebuild Oct'08, OEM+FSE FPR, MS2v3.0_DJB Custom, Extra 2.0.1
wazza77
TO220 - Visibile

Post by wazza77 »

hi this is my first post here i have noticed this topic is a bit old but i thought it would be the best place for it .

delphi use ion sense but on a 3 pin coil so there is 2 separate coil circiuts the primary coil is switched by a igbt and the secondery is conected to a spark plug at one end and charges a capactor that is wired accross a 80v zener diode then pases through a second zener conected so that the charging current pases unhinderd at the other

i have modeld this in sim and it works so far i have come up with a design that uses a standard bosch hec 716 coil with the adition of a few extra components
making the hardware very cheep and ion sens very obtainable as for interpritation of the signal well i will keep reserching this i have come accros a article on ignition timing that sugest nonlinear lest squairs in a moving window to find ppp wich should lower the amount of computational overhead required to mak use of the information avalible to us in ion sense

i will poast a schmatic and description of my idea if there is som intrest
arsenix
TO220 - Visibile

Post by arsenix »

That is really cool! Packaging the high voltage coil hardware in a reliable/low cost fashion is really the hard part. Do you have more details on the delphi parts? Pics, oem part numbers etc?

James
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by jharvey »

wazza77 wrote:i will poast a schmatic and description of my idea if there is som intrest
Please do, I find it interesting. What SIM did you use?
wazza77
TO220 - Visibile

Post by wazza77 »

i used isis7 but the spark plug is the hardest part to simulate it has taken a fair bit of reserch to implment somthing that is close i have tried to include the capacitance and resistance in the spark plug leads as this is a coil pack per plug i have not looked at coil on plug (as i do not have one around to mesure inductance and resistance ) next stage is to do it in a real world aplication ( where did i put that old lawn mower) once i find it i will have to find the imposible TIME.
wazza77
TO220 - Visibile

Post by wazza77 »

James i have included the pdf from delphi discribing the system
wazza77
TO220 - Visibile

Post by wazza77 »

http://delphi.com/manufacturers/auto/po ... s/ionized/
is the link to the system

sorry to any one if thay read these aprent atemts to string together a sentence
working 10 to 12 hours then driving 120km home leves very little for me to funtion on so forgive me if my rate of work on this is glacial in aperance and if i write something that has alredy been delt with i just dont have the time to go wadeing through the foroums if i did i would have no time to reserch.

when i clean up my schmatics and do some more calcs (eg try to make it so less suseptable to nit picking about component values and types) i will poast them
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by jharvey »

That is an interesting approach, using the coil as the high V generator.

Is that isis from labcenter.com? Have you seen QUCS?
johntramp
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by johntramp »

wazza77
TO220 - Visibile

Post by wazza77 »

no i have not seen qucs i did once have acces to a automtive spice software but that was about 6 years ago the labcenter stuff works fine for me results are close to the math and the phiscal model