PCB layout - DaveBMW

From DIY contraptions to sophisticated FreeEMS-specific designs! Plus general hardware development!
davebmw
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Re: PCB layout - DaveBMW

Post by davebmw »

Ah yes I have sussed the add to local library and the export symbol functions.
although I do like the custom FreeEMS.lib.
What i would like to do is get the file structure of my releases similar to yours with all the library files contained within, because i work on 4 computers here and at work it needs to be a totally portable project. especially because others will have to open and understand the project, which means it must have all the pieces of the puzzle in the release.
I may ask you to have a proof read of the release from time to time to make sure nothing silly has been missed out, if thats OK.
93'BMW 325is M50B25TU, Rebuilt 06/06, JE10.5:1, polish&port. Scorpion BB, K&N CAI, TEJ21 WBO2, '07 M3 Evo 18" 225F, 255R, EBC Kevlar, Bilstien Sprint, Polyflex. Head rebuild Oct'08, OEM+FSE FPR, MS2v3.0_DJB Custom, Extra 2.0.1
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by jharvey »

I'm more then willing to give it a look.

The library is included by the project file, not a system preference, so you can have separate libraries with many issues. For example when I opened your files, it didn't have freeEMS's library(s).
davebmw

Post by davebmw »

OK I'm about halfway through annotating all the part locations and values and was wondering if a quick check over was in order.
FreeEMS_0.5_Type_B_DJB_WIP.zip
(101.91 KiB) Downloaded 793 times
This has been tailored towards a plug and play FreeEMS ECU for my BMW M50B25TU with a Bosch Motronic 3.3.1 ECU using the stock 88 way BMW/Bosch ECU connector for which I have created new schematic and PCB modules.
This could easily be tweaked to suit any car by changing the connector sheet and adding what ever connector you please.
I have added some comments on the sheets to explain some of the methods behind the madness.
If there are any questions please do not hesitate i will be right here all day working on it.
Oh and yes I have started using the new naming convention. before it gets to release 1.0 it will have all the correct directory structure with PDF schematics, documents and BOM's etc.
I will probably be building my board out of mostly SMT parts but I will also make a PIH board also, this will also be in the directories somewhere.

PS: I know the power section uses 2 SMT parts, but i have a shit load of these that i have finally found a use for and they are well spec'd for the job.
93'BMW 325is M50B25TU, Rebuilt 06/06, JE10.5:1, polish&port. Scorpion BB, K&N CAI, TEJ21 WBO2, '07 M3 Evo 18" 225F, 255R, EBC Kevlar, Bilstien Sprint, Polyflex. Head rebuild Oct'08, OEM+FSE FPR, MS2v3.0_DJB Custom, Extra 2.0.1
Fred

Post by Fred »

Just don't forget that I'm going to pull the rug out from under you with pin numbering changes! Don't say you weren't warned :-)

Also, BTW, I only care about which components etc are used for the one that is supposed to be for general consumption. IE, Jarad's one, or a derivative of it. I fully expect that custom units will be built like yours with all sorts of exotic stuff on them :-) Only the default board needs to be boring and plain.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
davebmw

Post by davebmw »

Ooooooh! artistic license eh? i'll see what i can whip up.

regarding the pin numbers: thats why i'm farting about with the ancillaries and fancy bits getting them just right. so when you give the all clear the cpu can be routed and it will be just right.
You cant rush this kind of thing.
it also gives me time to perfect the DIY home manufacture of the PCB's with through plated holes and vias!
davebmw

Post by davebmw »

OK I have finished the annotation on the following sheets:
CPU (still needs to be converted to the new convention as below)
PSU
Connector
Low power output drive
Injector Drive
COP drive
3 wire PWM Idle control valve, (NPN current limit transistors connected correctly this time :oops: )

New Annotation convention started to aid debug and layout:
E.g.
R542
R= Resistor
5= Sheet 5
4= channel 4 i.e. injector 4
2= the second in that section/channel

R401
I.e. its on sheet 4, common to all channels, number 1

Still to do:
CPU Sheet:
1, Correct the numbering on the 2 IDC headers that connect to the TA card. (TA do not use the odd and even numbering convention used in the IDC standard).
2, Produce a 144 pin module and re-spin the CPU sheet for the 144 pin XDP CPU.
3, Add USB comms, and maybe a Host for data logging direct to pen drive.

Input/output sections:
4, Start on the input conditioning for the analogue sensors.
5, Start on the input protection/opto isolation/conditioning for the digital inputs.
6, PWM Boost control output buffers and GPIO
7, PWM channels for VVT, exhaust flap servos, traction control, nitrous etc.
8, VR and Hall CPS inputs.

Docs:
9, PDF schematics
10, SMT BOM
11, PIH BOM
12, Overlays for SMT and PIH routed in PADS and translated back to KiCAD for compatibility.
13, Operational description.
14, Build instructions
15, RFI/EMI PCB simulation and summary adjustment to design flaws. ;)

A load of this crap will be way down the development path but i'm looking into the hardware now with a hope that the software guys will find cool uses for it and write some code. :lol:
FreeEMS_0.51_Type_B_DJB_WIP.zip
(104.71 KiB) Downloaded 743 times
Enjoy, All comments suggestions and observations welcome.
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by jharvey »

I got a chance to take a very brief look, it's looking good, but the XDP_CPU schematic and board still no worky. Seems the schematic can't find a library part. I'm guessing you added to the transistor library. When I open XDP_CPU.sch here's the message I get.

Library </usr/share/kicad/library/transistors.lib> not found

Followed by this message.

**EESchema file end_sheet struct error at line 896, aborted

It then opens showing me green wire connections, and blue text but no symbols.

When I open the brd file, it tells me

File <XDP_CPU.brd> not found

Perhaps this is a pruning issue?

There are two files that appear to be blank schematics, and they all opened except the above noted. The Power schematic may have a custom symbol the LM2941C. If that is custom, perhaps follow what you did with that one on the XDP_CPU's symbols. I see .libs for the other schematics, so I think you're on the right track.

I've got to move along, and get back to it with the red Subaru, I'll try to give it a closer look perhaps tonight, or tomorrow evening.
Last edited by jharvey on Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
davebmw

Post by davebmw »

jharvey wrote:I got a chance to take a very brief look, it's looking good, but the XDP_CPU schematic and board still no worky. Seems the schematic can't find a library part. I'm guessing you added to the transistor library. Here's the message I get.

Library </usr/share/kicad/library/transistors.lib> not found

Followed by this message.

**EESchema file end_sheet struct error at line 896, aborted

It then opens showing me green wire connections, and blue text but no symbols.

I've got to move along, and get back to it with the red Subaru, I'll try to give it a closer look perhaps tonight, or tomorrow evening.
Brilliant thanks now I know where the problem is I can sort it.

Thanks again.
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by jharvey »

I made some edits, on my last post, I thought I was getting them out quick enough, but apparently not. So re-read it. I added some stuff, but nothing to drastic.
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by jharvey »

A bit more of a review of your layout.

General
- I don't see a hierarchy anywhere yet. I don't think it will produce a correct net list this way. I also see the border notes pg X/7, which isn't updated unless it knows a hierarchy. Are you using win or Linux for your KICAD? Do you know what version you have? Perhaps this is related to that error message from XDP_CPU.

3 wire PWM,
- D621 and R621 are hard to read, perhaps spread it out or shrink the text a bit here.
- DRC notes two unconnected nets. That likely indicates, they are driven with incompatable driving pins. Seems like a power out pin (pin at the symbol level) won't connect to another power out pin. Perhaps something like that is happening here.
- The NPN and MOSFET, Those are current limiting right? I see .7/.5 is 1.4A. They are expected to not work normally right. Mostly short circuit protection. Also they will ease their way into backing off the current, so it might over shoot for a short time. Any reason why you don't like the current limited MOSFETs?
- Are you running two injectors because you have 2 injectors, or is one drive for peak amps and the other hold amps? I think IACV3 is hold amps.

Any how off to work I go.