PCB layout - JHarvey

From DIY contraptions to sophisticated FreeEMS-specific designs! Plus general hardware development!
AbeFM
Post Whore!

Re: PCB layout - JHarvey

Post by AbeFM »

It's at the state where if someone had a one-off set up in their garage, it'd be worth doing one as a bug finding mission. :-) But insofar as it's driven by software, you do have to wait. Or do as Jean did on his MS breakout board (which I shamelessly stole for my own) - put a dual row of jumpers with your best guess, and people can jumper wires from pin to pin either straight across if all goes as planned or crossed if needed.
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by jharvey »

For a different project, I'm learning a bit about ARM, specifically the LPC series from NXP. More specifically, I stumbled across this gem the LPC 2478-Stick found here.

http://www.ehitex.de/p_info.php?products_id=309

Key features of interest

6 PWM
2xUSB
10/100 ENET
2xCAN
4xUART
4MHz IRC up to 72MHz max.
1x10-bit DAC
160 IO pins on a 208 pin package
4x32-bit timmers
6-ch PWM(2)
8-ch 10-bit ADC
ARM7 (32-bit)
Very well suppored by gcc check the -m switch, if you have gcc installed, you already have the ARM compiler
Programmable via USB, no specail hardware required

About $80usd for the usb stick, about $12usd for the chip itself.

I may be a pinch wrong in some of that, so feel free to look at it in more depth. That's a lot under the hood, for low $.
lekker
TO220 - Visibile

Post by lekker »

Hi, I am new to this group and I have followed what you're talking about for some degree not excatly in full scale of understanding, but I am interested in the Xgate. I would image if we have a hardware ready to run and cope with the software development and tweaking and that will draw more interested in this project, and that mean we have more shared resources to accomplish what we is aiming for in time.
gearhead
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by gearhead »

Welcome! The hardware does exist for development purposes (the Tech Arts board). There is development ongoing to design a board to plug that hardware to. That is the focus of this thread. There are other threads where specific boards are being discussed, but that is a bit further down the development path. If you would like to help, the quickest way to do that would be to get a TA board and start the process.

Gearhead
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by jharvey »

I would agree that if we make it run the extreme basics, it will generate a lot of interest. Then we can pursue fancy mc-scmancy features later on.

I also agree that the fastest way to get this going is to use the TA card, and continue Fred's developement. Lots of code already drafted if we go that route. Have you seen the doxygen docs? If not go to http://freeems.org there is a link to them there.

Welcome along, I'll look forward to any contributions you can make.
lekker
TO220 - Visibile

Post by lekker »

I think I went to the site (freeems.org) before, but it is down now. Would you check it for me?
I guess the big problem for me is to gathering the information from the threats in order to keep me updated with your guys and further make sure what I will be doing is useful to the group. However, it would be great if someone can just send or point me for the data or schematics.., then I can start to work on it.
lekker
TO220 - Visibile

Post by lekker »

okay, Gearhead. Please let me know what do you mean by "the process", if I have a TA board.
gearhead
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by gearhead »

"The Process" would be: Coming up to speed with what Fred has coded to date and figuring what portions of the code you can help with. As I understand it, there is no code which will run a car as of yet and the concept is to have it as modular as possible.

The firmware forum is here:
http://www.diyefi.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=8

Fred has been bugging me to work on a wheel decoder, speed density coding, PID modular coding, etc. I am sure if you ask in that forum with a suggestion on what you want to help with, there will be people to help. If hardware is your gig, I am sure Jharvey may be able to use a hand in getting the adapter board finished (in this forum). It is a lot up to you and what you want to do and feel like you can help with.

Regards,

Gearhead
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by jharvey »

freeems.org is working for me. There was a time when the server was down. Perhaps you looked at it back then. I try to keep the wiki up to date with a fairly current status. It has links to the software, firmware, ect. I agree reading a massive pile of forum activity is time consuming. My goal has been to keep the wiki as the boiled down version, something that’s nice for new comers.
lekker
TO220 - Visibile

Post by lekker »

No. I am not saying it's not organized. In fact it is. As an new comer it looks just like in wonderland. I guess what I am going to do is to get a TA 12XDP512M2 information and collecting the exsiting information for an adapter board requirement from this project.

I have a question for you. Does this TA 12XDP512M2 have a same dual 50pins out assignment as the 12XDP512's ?