PCB layout - JHarvey

From DIY contraptions to sophisticated FreeEMS-specific designs! Plus general hardware development!
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Re: PCB layout - JHarvey

Post by jharvey »

Hmmm, looks like they now offer the M2 version. I've only looked briefly, and I'm not sure what the difference is. I'd bet it does have the same layout and such. I know it's price has dropped significantly in the last couple months. I also see the pins that were goldish colored, now appear to be silver. Perhaps that designator simply specifies its MFGed differently, and shouldn't have any real hardware changes. Might be a good idea to inquire with TA to confirm.

I forget the recommended H1 and H2 configurations. I seem to recall it was M style for both, either that or unpopulated, and you populate it later on. Your call really, pre-soldered is nice because you don't have to solder. Soldering yourself is nice because you can change it if you want to. I'd bet you would typically want the M pattern anyhow, nice for bread boarding that way.
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by jharvey »

If your getting a TA card, you may also want a Jim Stim. The Jim Stim can simulate an variety of engines, that might come in handy for development purposes and will certainly be required prior to installing on a real engine. I know that has been discussed else where, but thought I'd mention it again as you noted you are still doing the initial processing of the forums.
Fred

Post by Fred »

http://www.diyefi.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=471

That tells you about connector options etc if you are keen! :-) M2 is the original as far as I can tell. Certainly, that is what I have and I've had it for a long time now.

Thanks for keeping up the discussion in my apparent absence!

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
DaWaN
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by DaWaN »

jharvey wrote:For a different project, I'm learning a bit about ARM, specifically the LPC series from NXP. More specifically, I stumbled across this gem the LPC 2478-Stick found here.
About $80usd for the usb stick, about $12usd for the chip itself.

I may be a pinch wrong in some of that, so feel free to look at it in more depth. That's a lot under the hood, for low $.
I am thinking of porting FreeEMS to that MCU as soon as it is released. Luminairy Micro has very cool and cheap MCU's aswell, you should look at them too.
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by jharvey »

As luck has it, work has found a need to buy me a couple of these to play with.

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/produc ... ts_id=8280

So I'll be getting more familiar with this flavor of processor in the near future. I plan to keep the above maintained and relative to the TA card. I think if someone ports or makes from scratch something that is ARM based, that should be a different thread. I think we should keep a focus on the TA card approach. I'm always going to think it could be done better, the key is biting off something that can be done with the resources you have.
AbeFM
Post Whore!

Post by AbeFM »

Honestly, yes, the best thing is to get as many people in on the coding as possible (who are up to it) and move the software to the point where it's not the long pole in the tent anymore.