Number of injector channels?

From DIY contraptions to sophisticated FreeEMS-specific designs! Plus general hardware development!
Rickster
TO220 - Visibile

Number of injector channels?

Post by Rickster »

I reviewed the FreeEMS-PinAssignment-XDP512(1).ods document. Am I reading correctly that Free EMS only supports 6 individual injector channels? PT2-PT7?

I saw 12 individual ignition channels, so I assume I am missing something?

I would like to contribute a DIY a PCB, configurable for 1-12 IGN & INJ channels that fits the MODICE LE enclosure.

Thanks,

Rick Johnston
Fred

Re: Number of injector channels?

Post by Fred »

Hey Rick,

That document is fairly out of date, and should be udpated. Because it's a binary document I'm loath to update it regularly as it causes repository bloat. Such are the mistakes early on in a project. What I should probably do is just straight delete it for now, and bring it back later, but it IS still useful as a reference of other capabilities, thus I left it there.

See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1666

There is more good info available in issue 190, however the core requirement is to just talk to me/us. Jaguar and RavAGE are better to follow than anything else, however issue 190 has some explanations in it, which is useful. http://issues.freeems.org/view.php?id=190

So to answer your question: Yes, just PT2-7 which covers fuel injection and ignition on an as-needed basis. Read this: viewtopic.php?f=54&t=1084

There are other patched firmware variants with support for more, but they're of a pretty low, hacky, prototyped, proof-of-concept quality level at this point, and running them basically means that you're not contributing to testing and progression of the latest firmware or the community at large. So I don't recommend it, and can't offer any support to anyone using those. Having said that, most likely, you don't NEED more anyway. Need being different to want. All of us want cyl*2 or cyl*3 channels. Most of us can get by (and get excellent smooth running) with cyl*1 channels or less. That's the price you pay for being a generous tester and helping move the project forward. See this thread for priorities, they still stand, however the plan has changed somewhat: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=1699 There are no users, only testers. :-)

I hope this helps you! And welcome to the site! :-D

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Rickster
TO220 - Visibile

Post by Rickster »

Thank you for the kind welcome.

Mid April of this year I will begin building my 2nd Factory Five Cobra. I have the engine built already and have already purchased parts for COP.

Reading through your recommended posts, I gather that FreeEMS is just not at a point to really support sequential (or batch) fuel w/ COP at this point.

I firmly agree with the FreeEMS concept, and also understand why the project is currently limiting the injector and ignition channels. I will be watching things develop, and believe me, if I had a 4 cylinder to help test with, I would be all over it!

Once I see that this has developed to a point where developing for fully sequential fuel & spark for 8 cylinder engines (and beyond) is not detracting from your focused development, I will gladly test/design/contribute in whatever capability I can.

Since I have already outlined a proposal, I have attached it as a quick reference as to the direction I was planning to head for review.

Please feel free to email me if I can be of any help.

Thanks all,

Rick Johnston
Cedar Ridge, CA
Attachments
concept.pdf
(14.61 KiB) Downloaded 1168 times
Fred

Post by Fred »

You can help now! ;-) That's the thing. You can build your loom exactly the same and run all of the wires exactly as you would, and just hook them up differently at the end point. V8s are not off the menu IMO. You can run pseudo wasted spark with your existing COP hardware, or real wasted spark temporarily, and run banked injection, which isn't as bad as it sounds, but not as good as you could do, also. The trouble is that when everyone takes the same "wait" approach, there are no testers, and bench testing ain't good enough for various reasons, so development remains slow. Having engines in use is what makes the project move. If you are going to put the car together anyway, and I'm certain that you are, then you could just as well have the system plug'n'swappable with whatever else you use. Take it for a short drive, or even less, note issues, try new firmware to ensure no regressions and allow that to become the new base upon which more stuff is built, etc. Other than the initial setup and configuration, what I need takes very little time and effort on the part of the tester. However, if she's your little baby, then I'll lay off and leave you to it :-)

Fred.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Just spotted your attachment/edit, but have to duck out, will comment on it later.