Good non surface mount MOSFET to drive injectors?

From DIY contraptions to sophisticated FreeEMS-specific designs! Plus general hardware development!
Fred

Re: Good non surface mount MOSFET to drive injectors?

Post by Fred »

Flattery will get you everywhere.

If you could add a second signal, a sync point, on another pin, then you could do dizzy + semi sequential fueling. Removing a tooth from 6 can work, but it won't be very accurate ignition timing wise. The more the merrier up to a point.

For your engine 36-1 on crank might be OK, 24-1 definitely will be. 60, 36, 24, 12, 8 on the crank, plus a sync on the cam will also work admirably. Your 6 teeth could be used from one edge with even teeth plus sync without stress.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
nicholasjanssen
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by nicholasjanssen »

sounds fun! I must admit I was afraid to reply without spending a few hours researching crank trigger "wheels" and they do have tons of information out there.

I don't want to remove the harmonic balancer though. I would be very afraid of such a thing. I will check under the hood and see what kind of trigger wheel I could attach to the crankshaft. The good news is that there is TONS of room for a wheel and sensor at least from what I remember.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Post a photo of the dizzy guts, maybe you can fit a missing tooth disk to it and rewire the coil to be directly ECU driven rather than fired by the unit during fail safe operation?
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
nicholasjanssen
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by nicholasjanssen »

Fred wrote:Post a photo of the dizzy guts, maybe you can fit a missing tooth disk to it and rewire the coil to be directly ECU driven rather than fired by the unit during fail safe operation?
Yes, that is very much possible. I will have to do much research and get back to you. right now the distributor internal TFI module sends pulses ( at the right time and the right "dwell" to the coil". But later version distributors offloaded the TFI module (the same engine's 1996 version) inside the engine bay.

Again I have to research much much more, but if an upgraded trigger wheel inside the distributor sent signals to new ECU, and then the new ecu sent (when to fire the spark plug) signal to the 1996 offloaded TFI module then the (1996 offloaded TFI module) should be able to send sparks to the distributor to the exact cylinder.

after some research someone else was able to attach a trigger wheel to the external crankshaft pulley in an inline ford 6. his is a smaller block though http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=67718 . This link is to a forum specifically for ford inline 6. I should save myself some research and ask there directly. all of what I am doing is also very important for them, because they have the same engine. I will also throw a few good lines in for DIYEFI :P