Good non surface mount MOSFET to drive injectors?

From DIY contraptions to sophisticated FreeEMS-specific designs! Plus general hardware development!
nicholasjanssen
QFP80 - Contributor

Re: Good non surface mount MOSFET to drive injectors?

Post by nicholasjanssen »

thank you fred

If I ordered 20 of these and used one per injector that would work correctly for fuel injectors?

MOSFET OMNIFETII 40V 12A TO-2203
VNP14NV04-E
Fred

Post by Fred »

Yes, post a thread about your setup, and plans. You may be off the rails already. Let's get it documented so we can steer you away from the rocks.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
nicholasjanssen
QFP80 - Contributor

i will do as soon as i have the plans ... lol

basically step 1 = protect the ecu (using diodes and resistors and voltage dividers)

step 2 = very simple and rough working concept using as much room and wires as it takes
each circuit/brange will be an isolated module

step 3 = testing the inputs and running simulated (using headlights as a replacement for injectors)

step 4 = vehicle test
Fred

Post by Fred »

No, do it now, or you're going to build some mess that won't work, or won't work right, and get disappointed. I don't even know what type of engine you have, nor what type of RPM signal it has. Post a thread about your OVERALL plans now, please.
nicholasjanssen
QFP80 - Contributor

ok i will make up plans before i begin and post them. right now i do not have them though.

i have a 1986 ford f-150 4.9l inline 6 cylinder engine. eec-iv with a "eec -iv stock distributor" it is a very rare distributor. It is ecu controlled advance, but will default to 10 degree before top dead center without any ecu input.

also... it is actually stock as a feedback yfa carburator , whicn i am converting to efi with the 1987 efi manifold made for the 87-96 4.9liter inline 6's.

there is plenty of room to work with, there is a coil which i believe I can use a tach signal if the distributor decoding proves tricky.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Your belief re coils is wrong. You're going to have a poor running engine with a dizzy signal, too. Dizzy signals are the domain of 4 cylinder engines, really. Injection without a crank signal kinda sucks.
nicholasjanssen
QFP80 - Contributor

http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/ ... rWorkings/

http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/ ... Image5.gif
The EEC sees only one crank position sensor signal, a short signal on the shutter wheel in the distributor shutter wheel. The Hall effect "pickup coil" as it is generally known has a magnetic field that is interrupted from the sensor by a wheel containing shutters that spin past the sensor. The signal output from the Hall effect sensor is called a Profile Ignition Pickup (PIP) signal. There is one shutter that is skinny and this is how the EEC knows the #1 piston top dead center position by its mechanical relationship through the timing chain and distributor gear. This is also how the EEC knows where each cylinder is in the firing order due to monitoring the time rate between PIP signals (changing rpms) and the internal firing order data, which enables it to control sequentially the firing of the injectors. Below is a figure of a good PIP signal, which is routed through the Thick Film Ignition (TFI) to the EEC for processing and timing control, which the EEC then sends the signal to the TFI module to actually fire the coil. The EEC senses the coil ground for feedback that the coil has actually fired as commanded by the TFI.

The TFI module cleans up the PIP signal before sending it off to the EEC. The TFI also uses the Spark Output (SPOUT) signal, from the EEC, to determine when to fire each plug. The coil fires on the falling edge of the SPOUT signal. The TFI also provides an internal SPOUT signal (based on the PIP signal) for limp home mode operation if it senses the EEC has stopped sending the SPOUT. If the SPOUT plug is not inserted, spark timing remains at base timing during engine operation.
I don't plan on firing sequentially. I plan on very simple batch fire mode. I also will install a wideband O2 sensor and controller http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/xcar ... ctid=16328
• (2) 0-5v fully programmable linear analog outputs for use with engine management systems “closed-loop” and external dataloggers

Also, if sending a signal to the distributor for advance is impossible, I might even try tricking the ecu into doing it for me, but that might be even more harder to do?
Fred

Post by Fred »

If that info is correct, the signal is unusable for us right now. Sending SPOUT would be straight forward, however your PIP signal requires either sync, or single edge use, or both. None of the above are currently supported. You'll need to mount a superior sensor setup to the crank or cam, or give up, for now. See why full disclosure early on is important now? If you'd done this up front as per the guide that specifies that its the first thing you need to know you could have made decisions and plans before spending $$$. Sorry about that.
nicholasjanssen
QFP80 - Contributor

this is what they show on the website

http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/forum/ ... php?t=3330

Actually, I am very curious about the idea that it cannot work currently. Is it a code or hardware problem? I am not very knowledgeable as to exactly what is wrong with the signal it provides. I ordered the ecu board already, and it should arrive soon. I will fix it, because i am certain if a 25+ year old ecu can read the signal so will a 2014 board, even if it requires hackery.

worse case I will use a 1995 distributor which will have a "different better signal"
Fred

Post by Fred »

I already explained it as much as I'm going to. It's not a problem at all. Your signal type is not supported...

You could hack it, but even if you do, it'll never run well. Only mediocre running is possible without significant changes/work. You already have a huge job ahead of you to make it work at all. Hence why bother? Fit a crank wheel to it and get it running.