40pin DIP to processor daughter board idea

From DIY contraptions to sophisticated FreeEMS-specific designs! Plus general hardware development!
Fred

Re: 40pin DIP to processor daughter board idea

Post by Fred »

soapypanther wrote:Do my Ignition and Injector pins look right?
Didn't look yet, will soon. Dan or Andy may beat me to it. I hope so :-)
For my Intake Air Temp sensor, should I use AN00 or AN07? One is labeled Manifold Air temp, the other Intake Air Temp.
Use IAT, MAT is unused and should be deleted from various docs or renamed to spare temp.
If I do not have a constant 5v feed, will I run into issues? My ECU has a constant 12v so I could add a small regulator to the card but not very many do I'd imagine.
Single switched supply is fine. Trying to do the dual stuff will cause you to run into issues of the "not developed yet" type. I need hardware that has that to dev and test it, coming soon.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
JaniM
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by JaniM »

I'll do my best. Arttu has hurry to make first test adapters that I'll be in top 20 ;)

Comments, these extra headers are good to add for future needs.

Fred, here You can look some our projects. My friends and my cars. I has build also friends cars or consulting/helping them.

www.PorVWoo.fi
Sorry that's in finnish, but engine section is in "rally" english :lol:
Dan
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by Dan »

pin out as per your excel document is not quite correct.

Please refer to RavAGE schematics, specifically at how PORTB pins are shared with PORTT for future XGATE support (to allow full sequential everything, etc)

FREDIT: And install resistors to give yourself the necessary 3 ign/3 fuel channels on the physical driver devices that you need.

Can I also recommend that you put 1k current limit resistors on CPU io pins on your daughter board.
Last edited by Fred on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fredited this post.
Fred

Post by Fred »

If you have skype, I can explain and make it clear that way. Let me know if you'd like to have a quick chat to clear this up.
soapypanther
TO220 - Visibile

Post by soapypanther »

I dont have skype, but I suppose thats as easy as a download and another new password to remember :)

Im out on buisnes anyways.

I understand the XGATE not being up and running yet, so what pins are available for the current release? I guess if I had the code loaded into the tuning program, I would be able to tell for myself. Im still working on figuring that part out.

Maybe I should make this more simple. The only critical pins I need are the pins for ignition A,B, and C for wasted spark and two pins for my two banks of injectors. A normal MS install will not have more than that anyways, and the rest of the pins will be available on the header.

Regarding the 1k current limiting resistors, all of the circuits attached to the DIP40 do have this at a minimum and any add on card/circuit could deal with it there. Is there any reason I should do this on the CPU card?

Thank you both for your help!
Fred

Post by Fred »

PT2-8 are available for either fuel or ignition as per this: viewtopic.php?f=54&t=1084

If you're smart about it (follow RavAGE) then you won't need to rework the board when the time comes that XGATE can be trusted and takes over duties in this area.

Your ignition ABC should go on port T 234

I would strongly recommend that you adjust your loom to bring all 6 injector wires out to the ECU. Then you can hook up three pairs for semi-sequential with FreeEMS and two triplets for M$.

If you follow that advice, T 567 will be your fueling channels. If not, T 56 will be.

If you have current limits outside the CPU then that's fine. They're not required for headers, either. What about standard MS boards, though?

Fred.
Dan
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by Dan »

I still think current limit resistors should be on the daughterboard. What if others use it with other carrier boards etc? It is safer in my opinion.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Fred wrote:If you have current limits outside the CPU then that's fine. They're not required for headers, either. What about standard MS boards, though?
That's what I was alluding to with my final sentence above. The question is "design for generic" or "design for his board" if the former, some research on shitty V3.0 and V3.57 boards should be done. Clearly the design will be more useful if it's done for the general populous, however perhaps that's not the goal.
JaniM
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by JaniM »

Ok, I'm studying Ravage schematics and now came first question.
When need use PortB on injector drivers? Default is T?

And fuelling was T567 or T56. When using four ignitors and two fuel channel is it T56 always and 7 is for ignitor?
I tried search, but didn't found. Is there some place where to get some info more easier or just searching from here?
Fred

Post by Fred »

T234567 are all available to be fuel or ignition right now using stable-ish code. If you're using 3 for ignition (wasted spark on a 6?) then T234 are ign and T567 are semi-sequential fueling. If you're using 2 ignition (wasted spark on a 4?), then T23 are ignition and T4567 are fuel. Etc.

Describe the engine.