EEC-V (And Many Other) PCB layout pics - No 56k!

From DIY contraptions to sophisticated FreeEMS-specific designs! Plus general hardware development!
Delta
LQFP112 - Up with the play

EEC-V (And Many Other) PCB layout pics - No 56k!

Post by Delta »

These pics are pretty shitty (they were taken with a phone) but I thought it might be interesting to some here to see the layout of a commercial ECU. This is the 6cyl EEC-V as found in the EF and AU falcon in Australia. A very similar layout is used for the EEC-V computers used in the USA. The v8 computers for falcon and mustang are pin compatible in most cases. I believe they were Externally 112 pin or there abouts. The main processor is an Intel 8065 and ignition controller is an EDIS6 chip. Mosfets, voltage regulators, solenoid drivers etc are down both sides of the board, and the expansion Port is at the rear.

Please move these if needed to another topic or what ever. A 56k warning would be good too :)
Fred

Re: EEC-V PCB layout pics - 56k, please upgrade!!

Post by Fred »

Delta wrote:Please move these if needed to another topic or what ever. A 56k warning would be good too :)
Your wish is my command :-)

Yes, I like the dual to220 arrangement down each side of the board. I think it works well on all levels.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
johu
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by johu »

Couple Chrysler NGC4 pics. They're from this thread on Cherokee SRT-8 forum: http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/show ... php?t=4504
Attachments
Underside
Underside
Top of board
Top of board
thebigmacd

Post by thebigmacd »

Not that I have seen a whole lot of ECUs in my day, but this is the first I have seen one with vertical-mount connectors.

What is the practicality of doing this? I can see how it would help with power and ground distribution, as well as minimizing the length of the traces to each pin.
Keith MacDonald
Control Engineering (Systems) Technologist
GrowlingandBiffo
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by GrowlingandBiffo »

New types of connectors and their installation, by OEM's, are only done for certain reasons.

Cost reduction and of course cost reduction.

Each part of the car is priced to 5 decimal places of a penny.

Eventually the ECU will be absorbed as part and parcel of the throttle body/induction assembly, with the consequent improvements in reliability, by the reduction of wires/connectors.
EssEss

Post by EssEss »

Is this the core for any SRT8 ecu ? What does NGC4 indicate/mean ?

I ask, because I'd like to troll ebay for one of these .. I don't know what to search for. I see a lot of SRT8 chargers/300's/challengers/magnums, but I'm not certain if they all have this ecu in it or not. Some show side connectors, some show top connectors just like the photo.
johu
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by johu »

EssEss wrote:Is this the core for any SRT8 ecu ? What does NGC4 indicate/mean ?

I ask, because I'd like to troll ebay for one of these .. I don't know what to search for. I see a lot of SRT8 chargers/300's/challengers/magnums, but I'm not certain if they all have this ecu in it or not. Some show side connectors, some show top connectors just like the photo.
I assume you're not (at least for now) trying to run engine or entire car with this ecu but study what's it made of. Because if you want to use it as is you need to also consider things like anti-theft which depending on model can cause problems ("SKIM").

You could try searching http://car-part.com/ for engine computer? Any LX-platform car with 5.7L or 6.1L (SRT8) engine should be with NGC. Not sure what version is currently used ie. is it still NGC4 with MPC5554 and known working JTAG or perhaps NGC5 that might be different. Even if you don't find what you want from car-part.com you should be able to get part number and get some cross-reference and compatibility matrixes from Google.

If you want one exactly like one pictured check this thread by Blown7 on Cherokee SRT forum. ECU part number should be listed there and it has other interesting stuff as well. http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/show ... 04&page=24

There's number of more or less different variants of externally identical Chrysler ecus. NGC stands for Next Generation Controller and same basic architechture is used across entire lineup of gasoline engines. In past Chrysler used to have number of completely different ecus used by different departments. At least JTEC, GPEC and SBEC.

Early NGC's used on trucks until around 2004 had separate transmission control module. Later model years use NGC for both engine and trans. Transmissions are Chrysler 545RFE (trucks, jeeps etc) or Mercedes W5A580 (aka 722.6) used on lx-platform (charger, 300c, magnum, challenger and jeep grand cherokee srt8 which is not lx). Manual transmission models have one connector less on ecu. They have same metal enclosure but dummy plastic plug instead connector.

I have opened one Chrysler ecu which I think came from 2006 Dakota with 4.7L V8 and it's similar to one pictured above but was not built using MPC5554. I can check part numbers and what MPC series chip it used on next week as I still have it. It also has more chips which might be telltale of it being earlier version (NGC3?) and current models are more integrated.

These ecus are in aluminium housing. Bottom of housing is filled with silicone like goo, circuit board is placed on top of it and rest is filled with same goo. Only screws are on top cover which is not sealed in any way so they're counting on goo protecting from moisture and dirt as well as keeping PCB in place. Top is fairly easy to clean by scraping goo off. You can also pull it away bit by bit from difficult places but prepare for hour of "fun". Getting board loose on bottom side was more difficult as surface area is quite large and you can't pry board away from without damaging it. I ended up pulling thin plastic insulated electric wire underneath pcb effectively cutting it free from silicone. Of course it stuck again but not so tight I couldn't pry it free.

I also spotted some Freescale part numbers for ECU itself. Perhaps it's either designed or manufactured by them in addition of using their CPU.
EssEss

Post by EssEss »

oh wow. this a lot of good info ...
I saw some threads that mentioned 565 based ecus too .. I want to grab a 5554 based ecu since I have the entire toolset front to back :twisted:

I think I'm a little too late to be in blown7's inner circle, but I wish I would've seen his thread back in the early days. it took me about 3hrs to read that entire thread last night.
Blown7
TO92 - Vaguely active

Post by Blown7 »

Never too late this processor been kickin my ass for years
Joseph Davis
DIP8 - Involved

Post by Joseph Davis »

Sometimes it's nice to be able to examine the schematic of an OEM, here's OBD1 Honda. Pay close attention to the way the IAT line is filtered, for example.
Attachments
p28.pdf
(866.12 KiB) Downloaded 1144 times