Kicad-FreeEMS library package? Jared/Marcos?

From DIY contraptions to sophisticated FreeEMS-specific designs! Plus general hardware development!
Fred

Kicad-FreeEMS library package? Jared/Marcos?

Post by Fred »

Is there, or would it make sense for there to be, a library package for FreeEMS projects that includes things that we need that are not found in common other libs?
  • TA footprint?
  • XDP512?
  • max99xx?
What else?

It could make it nice and easy for noobs to get started working with existing projects and avoid the duplication of including libs in each project, which is somewhat wrong.

Also, can you guys state in this thread which extra libs you use with kicad, if any? There are quite a few lib packages out there for it, and some are HUGE.

I'm just trying to get myself setup now, that's all.

Cheers!

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Re: Kicad-FreeEMS library package? Jared/Marcos?

Post by jharvey »

The FreeEMS lib contains the list of extra's you looking for. I seem to recall the USB connector(s) are in there, as well as a couple others. I seem to recall the MAX module (footprint) was from the KICAD download page, and the symbol was custom here. So some are symbols, some are modules, some are both. Those LIB's are included with PUMA. If someone is starting over/from start like you Fred, I might recommend they clone PUMA and delete what they don't want. That would leave you with libaries, PCB file with DRC rules and other preferences one would want as a core starting point.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Awesome! Would it be worth splitting them out of Puma into an independent project and including instructions to "get this freeems lib package from github here" type of thing?

Thanks for the reply! I was just going to link this thread after your other one asking about the USB footprint, but I'll not now. Awesome.

Fred.
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by jharvey »

Perhaps we can simply reference Freds spin, git version blah. I'm not sure how handy it will be, as we keep adding and modifying files. To me it would seem like just more files to maintain.
Fred

Post by Fred »

jharvey wrote:Perhaps we can simply reference Freds spin, git version blah. I'm not sure how handy it will be, as we keep adding and modifying files. To me it would seem like just more files to maintain.
The opposite. If there are 6 footprints/components (1 file each), and they are used on 3 projects, then you've got 6 vs 18. Anyway, I'll see what I can figure out as I go. Thanks for your input.