FreeBOMBS

From DIY contraptions to sophisticated FreeEMS-specific designs! Plus general hardware development!
AbeFM
Post Whore!

Re: FreeBOMBS

Post by AbeFM »

Jami! Why the sign off? Fred wasn't saying it didn't belong. I don't want to duplicated efforts. If you want to stick to coding and give me something useful to do, we can. But what we need - ASAP - is a single reasonably golden BOM - at least for a basic build.

Advanced features could just have their own items. I guess that's what I was working on - again, your project is slick so I'd like to use it.

Can you give me an idea of where you are? Once you get a usable BOM, there might even be some gains in ordering parts in quantity and building a few boards at my house - at least for the North American people.
-Abe.
Fred

Post by Fred »

What he said earlier in IRC was along the lines of this, paraphrased:
Fixed carburetor and distributor, car running well, no immediate need for an EMS now, main interest is electric cars, busy with other projects for the time being.
As long as the git repo(s) are still there, and I suspect that they are, it shouldn't be a problem. It can be fired up and hosted on some other machine.

The work required for this to be useful was on the database contents, and he was never intending to do that work anyway, that's for you and Marcos and I and others to do, and fair enough too, he's done his part.

I hope that if someone begs he will add some simple things, but if not, it's in ruby, hopefully it's clean, probably (he makes all the right dev noises) and can be modified by one of us.

So, take it easy, Abe! :-)

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Jammi
DIP8 - Involved

Post by Jammi »

AbeFM wrote:Jami! Why the sign off? Fred wasn't saying it didn't belong. I don't want to duplicated efforts. If you want to stick to coding and give me something useful to do, we can. But what we need - ASAP - is a single reasonably golden BOM - at least for a basic build.
Oh, I was just waiting for feedback for a month to decide on priorities of FreeBOMBS, but didn't see any general demand to motivate further development.

Regarding FreeEMS generally, IMO we don't need yet another half-baked set of hardware until there is at least one proper implementation around that actually works like it should, extra "pre-alpha quality" hardware branches are just a distraction from that goal. I'll just idle until one of the current four FreeEMS hardware implementations mature, because I still don't have anything to run the firmware on for develompent purposes either, so I'm pretty frustrated about wasting my time until there is.

Regarding my car, yes I could fix it until it's broken but it's on hold until development resources are on a satisfactory level. No usable reference hardware, no satisfactory EDA except for some commercial offerings etc. I might have another car at the stage I'm interested in further development.

I'm diving into robotics and arduino-based projects for a hobby now and there might eventually be something needing a BOM suite anyways and the system is flexible as it is, might develop it into something else entirely, like a web store or parts inventory app.