Use ST VB325SP as ignition driver?

From DIY contraptions to sophisticated FreeEMS-specific designs! Plus general hardware development!
nitrousnrg
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Re: Use ST VB325SP as ignition driver?

Post by nitrousnrg »

Fred wrote:When does it end up on github.com for us to play with? I'm curious about what you've done with it :-)
+1! Sharing modifications is a part of any open source license :-) I can give some feedback too.
HotCat wrote:Also I would like FreeEMS to be a Linux-like project, we port it to different kind of vehicle rather than have a extremely complex configurations like MegaSquirt
This is under control! :-) Trust me, software is my bag, baby! :-) (austin powers reference...)
Yep, you seem to like Austin Powers. HotCat, I'm with you too; hardware gets complex easily, and specific hardware is always nice.
HotCat-Edited-By-Fred wrote:China is the nation best at copying others work and reducing the quality in the process, I don't have this issue, I can even find the proprietary automobile ICs on my stock ECU just two decades ago.
Fixed! :-) It's amazing what you can get in shen zhen, but, much of it is rip off stuff, and when only genuine will do, you can be out of luck. The amount and well-matched-ness of the produce in China is remarkable. As Marcos says, it also doesn't help the rest of us find such parts. However, do as you please with your design, the more the merrier.
I'm not really sure, but I feel you're being just rude, Fred. I could be misinterpreting the sentences, though.

It would be nice if it is a piece of hardware that could be assembled anywhere, and you'd get much more feedback from it. However, do as you wish, and keep in touch with the forum (feel free to ask, keep reading, etc, etc:).

And... whats your name? Its strange to refer so someone as HotCat
Marcos
Fred

Post by Fred »

nitrousnrg wrote:I'm not really sure, but I feel you're being just rude, Fred. I could be misinterpreting the sentences, though.
There was the risk of this being misinterpretted as me giving HotCat a hard time, however that was never the intent, and when I posted, I was aware of the risk, but felt that China's manufacturing industry reputation is very well known on both this forum, and the internet in general. I can back up my claims with thousands of photographs and videos, if required. The blatant copies of mazda, toyota, nissan, smart, whatever, etc vehicles with crash test videos to make you cry, or die, if you are in the vehicle at the time. Memory chips are often rebadged as 8gig when they are 2gig. Various high dollar driver chips and special purpose chips are regularly copied and made badly. etc. I can show you photos of sunglasses used as a welding mask. Sean0 has seen this series pictures recently and can vouch for it. In any case, no offense was meant to HotCat, I'm sure he's aware of the local manufacturing scene in more detail than I am! :-)
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
HotCat
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by HotCat »

Fred wrote:I can back up my claims with thousands of photographs and videos, if required. The blatant copies of mazda, toyota, nissan, smart, whatever, etc vehicles with crash test videos to make you cry, or die, if you are in the vehicle at the time. Memory chips are often rebadged as 8gig when they are 2gig. Various high dollar driver chips and special purpose chips are regularly copied and made badly. etc. I can show you photos of sunglasses used as a welding mask. Sean0 has seen this series pictures recently and can vouch for it.
I am sorry to hear that you are the victim of Chinese manufacture. I understand how angry you feel. In fact, Chinese people including me were the direct or indirect victim of Chinese whole industry, not only confined to automobile, consumer electronic. I could't go to restaurant to eat or feed my baby with Chinese made milk powder, because I know exactly how they are coming from nasty, poor environment kitchen and workshop. So I spend a lot of time cooking dinner myself. In China, we don't have belief, we don't go to church so that conscience won't hurt most people. Also we are not accustomed to use genuine software or hardware even the vital part of automobile, simply because we are lacking of money, we are still living in a poor country, earn little but sustaining such a long working hours and high price gasoline. So it's not hard to understand why Chinese manufacture have this reputation, the top priority for a commany or corporation is to live, to survive. Price is everything, quality is not that important.
HotCat
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by HotCat »

nitrousnrg wrote:And... whats your name? Its strange to refer so someone as HotCat
Chinese name Yu Zhou
English name Albert Wesker
Age 30
Career Software engineer
Fred

Post by Fred »

HotCat wrote:I am sorry to hear that you are the victim of Chinese manufacture. I understand how angry you feel. In fact, Chinese people including me were the direct or indirect victim of Chinese whole industry, not only confined to automobile, consumer electronic. I could't go to restaurant to eat or feed my baby with Chinese made milk powder, because I know exactly how they are coming from nasty, poor environment kitchen and workshop. So I spend a lot of time cooking dinner myself. In China, we don't have belief, we don't go to church so that conscience won't hurt most people. Also we are not accustomed to use genuine software or hardware even the vital part of automobile, simply because we are lacking of money, we are still living in a poor country, earn little but sustaining such a long working hours and high price gasoline. So it's not hard to understand why Chinese manufacture have this reputation, the top priority for a commany or corporation is to live, to survive. Price is everything, quality is not that important.
I'm not at all angry. Though I totally understand if you are, to not be able to trust basic things in life is pretty sad. I didn't enjoy my time there much, and found Hong Kong a refreshing change after just 2 weeks. I am angry about some Chinese manufacturing, but Chinese people are not responsible for that, immoral New Zealand profit driven food manufacturing organisations are! One of the major brands of peanut butter that we all grew up with, that was made in NZ for 100 years, switched to ozzy for 5, then China. I stopped buying it when it went to ozzy (because of the taste, i didn't realise the location changed too) but when it went to China there was a public backlash and they brought back the ozzy stuff in a special labled jar! So now you can buy both. Everything except food comes under the "you get what you pay for" scheme. Food with a clearly local brand on the front should be labeled as made elsewhere if its not aligned with the branding and strong country-wide image. How did I get this off topic? Anyway, I just spent some time there, and saw first hand some of the things that go on and the way things are. Buying a genuine mouse for my computer was a real challenge.

Nice to have you on board, Yu Zhou! :-)

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!