PCB layout - JHarvey

From DIY contraptions to sophisticated FreeEMS-specific designs! Plus general hardware development!
AbeFM
Post Whore!

Re: PCB layout

Post by AbeFM »

w00t!
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by jharvey »

I've found a little more about the colored PCB's.

copper clad translucent PCB found here

http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/500 ... html#specs

pre-etched / drilled blue PCB found here

http://export.farnell.com/jsp/search/br ... tid=223338

If the link to Farnell doesn't work search "blue epoxy glass" and it pops right up.

However I still haven't found a fab house that will provided colored etched boards.
GrowlingandBiffo
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by GrowlingandBiffo »

However I still haven't found a fab house that will provided colored etched boards.
How many do you want?

Is that the same as coloured?
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by jharvey »

I think the first batch should be something like 5, once we get it and do some basic testing like are the traces big enough, did the vias work, solder mask worked, ect, then we can get more, but probably best to keep the first batch qty low.
Brian
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by Brian »

The colour of the PCB is that of the solder mask. Is that what you mean? Black, purple, blue, yellow, green and white, maybe others too, not sure... Then pick the overlay colour.
With the first batch, since the tooling costs are high and each PCB is cheap, order as many as there are takers up front, and then maybe half of them will get built, and maybe half of the built ones will get installed. Some that get built but not installed will do time on a test bench.
Fred

Post by Fred »

I agree with Brian on this. I think the moral of the story is to think it through really thoroughly and make it really good right up front. That way it's not a bad thing for 10 - 30 people to get them in the first place.#

Additionally, those stats are probably right. EG, I won't be building mine up front, and if there are issues, maybe ever. I'm just in to bolster numbers as I'm using the toyota hardware for testing for the time being.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by jharvey »

I'll post about the group by in the purchase thread.

About color, you can have colored FR4, and colored solder mask. Many vendors offer the FR4 in green, whitish, and black. Then a variety of solder mask colors. I think that freeEMS might be show cased, a bit more then many other EMS's. I know I will be showing it off, and because of that, I want to put some extra effort into the look an feel.

Any how, I'll keep persuing my dream of a translucent FR4, because I'm not that concerned with the price. However, I also don't know what the price is yet, so that might change once I find a supplier. If some one esle starts a buy with normal board, I'll likely jump aboard, so don't hesitate if you're thinking we should order boards.
davebmw
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by davebmw »

Hi All!

Is there a table somewhere that indicates what cpu pins perform what function? I am at the point where I need to route the CPU to the outside world.
93'BMW 325is M50B25TU, Rebuilt 06/06, JE10.5:1, polish&port. Scorpion BB, K&N CAI, TEJ21 WBO2, '07 M3 Evo 18" 225F, 255R, EBC Kevlar, Bilstien Sprint, Polyflex. Head rebuild Oct'08, OEM+FSE FPR, MS2v3.0_DJB Custom, Extra 2.0.1
Fred

Post by Fred »

davebmw wrote:Is there a table somewhere that indicates what cpu pins perform what function? I am at the point where I need to route the CPU to the outside world.
There is, in the docs directory of the code release, BUT, it's STILL subject to change at least for a few weeks more. I wouldn't be in too much of a rush though, the source has more or less been stagnant for a month, so it WILL be longer before we get a working system...

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by jharvey »

davebmw wrote:Is there a table somewhere that indicates what cpu pins perform what function? I am at the point where I need to route the CPU to the outside world.
Awesome. I'm curious what your putting down. Are you doing a spin of the one I drafted, or are you doing an addon of some sort? Perhaps a connector card?

I'd be happy to review and comment if you post something I can check out.