Genius ..

Official FreeEMS vanilla firmware development, the heart and soul of the system!
EssEss
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Re: Genius ..

Post by EssEss »

Fred wrote: 2) If you use "int" then the code is actually NOT portable, whereas if you use char, short, long then it IS portable because the same behaviour AND accuracy and overflow etc will be present on both platforms. In the case of this chip alone, without porting it, a compiler flag change could totally break the code if int is used instead of an explicit type.
yep - I don't know why I slipped in that 'more portable' statement - it IS wrong. I lean on the compiler hard when backed up with tests so I get lazy and use 'unsigned' a lot - it's liberating to not be dependent on types. it's really hard to explain.
Fred wrote:"type OF name"
I read/write 'inside out' - 'right to left' - just habit ;) I can handle either. I'll commonly write stuff like this:

Code: Select all

uint32_t const *pThing = 0;
and tell myself "pThing is a pointer to a const u32", you would write it like this: ?

Code: Select all

const uint32_t* pThing = 0;
its nice to exercise the brain and read/use things a different way. I don't mind.
Fred wrote:How are you with Git?
never used it, I've only heard about it in the last month or so. it appears to be another source managment tool. I suppose the mechanics are all the same.

I'm a windows guy, but I'm not new to linux. I was a slackware guy from the mid 90's :D. Windows has always worked well for me and all my mainstream dev tools have targeted it for decades, the IT guys get wierd when they see it on your machine too.

I'll find/read the averaging thread and see how I can contribute. I have to make sure I can meet your deadline too. Maybe I can just proto up some generic code and pass it on to you to merge and double check ? it looks like I really need to get on the linux wagon to be of any real help for you. this is a foss project, and it is expected :mrgreen: I do have the full blown codewarrior suite (for all cores) sitting here too.
Fred

Re: Genius ..

Post by Fred »

EssEss wrote:
Fred wrote:How are you with Git?
never used it, I've only heard about it in the last month or so. it appears to be another source managment tool. I suppose the mechanics are all the same.
Kinda, distributed is quite different to centralised though, operation wise and the command set of Git is fairly powerful and a bit scary at first (but well worth it). It is a powerful and necessary tool for this project's future and present.
Maybe I can just proto up some generic code and pass it on to you to merge and double check ?
That is 100% OK by me :-) Anything that means I don't have to think much about some aspect of the code (eg, I thought very little about the flash burning code that SeanK wrote) is a great help.
it looks like I really need to get on the linux wagon to be of any real help for you. this is a foss project, and it is expected :mrgreen:
No, not at all! So long as you don't have vista you are fine. I did some dev on windows from time to time, no stress at all. It isn't expected, but I'm always pleased when people use it, esp Debian. You may experience jokes being poked at you and pity being shown towards you though, if you use windoze ;-)

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!