Fred's firmware development diary comments thread

Official FreeEMS vanilla firmware development, the heart and soul of the system!
Michael20
TO220 - Visibile

Re: Fred's firmware development diary comments thread

Post by Michael20 »

Two-step launch control and paddle controlled flat-shift nice nice :lol:
johu
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by johu »

Fred wrote:
Fred wrote: I won't be pushing any major updates to the firmware until some other things have been taken care of. The worst of these have been outstanding for more than four months. Only one has successfully ended up here in proper form, so far, though that should change soon. Once those things are sorted and finalised, I'll finish off the new RPM code and push it up for general testing and use. I also won't be pushing anymore firmware code at all until Sean tests the dev branch on his LT1 Camaro and gets me an EMStudio log of it. Make it happen, Sean, it's just you now, all other variants are tested OK. Then I'll consider that code adequately tested for general consumption and migrate it to the master branch. There's currently far too big of a gap between them... that's got to change! Ball is your court, my friend!
2.5 months on, and I'm starting to get pissed off about this. How about you users and/or fans of FreeEMS? Not pissed off yet? Perhaps you should be! No commits out of me (pushed) for 2.5 months and no testing on the LT1 for 2.5 years. I'm NOT going to push anything more until he tests that car with vanilla code.
Everyone is satisfied with current state of code. Which also means that FreeEMS is fully functional and complete as-is without any further development efforts. It's done! You can all go home now, nothing more to see here. Fred, since your work is done feel free to move back to NZ if you like. Rest of the world doesn't need you anymore. :)
SleepyKeys
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by SleepyKeys »

Re having to create an efficient time-based decoder. Depending on how crunched for time you are, you can always try the patched GCC with can do "hardware divide" with those big bad 32-bit variables :)
You snooze, you lose!
Fred

Post by Fred »

I didn't post anything about an "efficient time-based decoder" here on the forum. No tool-set changes are required.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
malcom2073
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by malcom2073 »

Nah, but you posted it everywhere else :P
Fred

Post by Fred »

False, one place only, a place with strict non-pasting rules. But I'm not overly bothered, it was only the principal this time.
ehb
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by ehb »

Sim says the valve has no spring and just relies on electromagnetic force to keep it in the right place. Hmmm.
First off: I don't know anything about that valve in particular, BUT a very slow on/off opening time could mean it's electrothermic, containing a fluid that expands by heating. That's a pretty common control element for home heating systems around here, with opening times of ~2 minutes. Obviously it won't be 2 minutes in valve used in a car, but nonetheless, just throwing it out there. :)
SleepyKeys

Post by SleepyKeys »

Anyone following the vehicles section knows that engine 26 did indeed run the other day, a bit behind schedule. Since then the setup has been refined a bit and some vids have been posted. Good times.
Without visible commits I'm calling out your claims as fabrications :)

j/k

well maybe exaggerations.....
You snooze, you lose!
Fred

Post by Fred »

@ehb, we did this test partly warmed up and warmed up and it's not connected to the coolant anyway, being a pure idle valve. It's one of the bosch ones with quite large orifices so it was always going to be touchy to control, however the issue isn't granularity, instead it's a hysteresis in the movement of the valve with different duties. IE, 115/255 and 145/255 can produce the same idle, depending upon where the valve started. Very very difficult to set a single curve of duty versus temp with this valve setup how it is.

@Sean :-p
Peter

Post by Peter »

Fred wrote:More lamb and kumara and other great high-quality food, more clean-water swimming
Just for the record, I hate sheep. Not to eat, but to take care of. The bucks would get these maggots in their horns, and we had to clean them out. By far the most god awful smell I've ever experienced. They have drugs for it, but when you can hardly give the sheep away, the drugs didn't get bought. The next worst thing is when they get is syphilis (I hesitated before checking the spelling on google, and switched to duckduckgo. It's sad what it has come to in this country.) The medicine for it is applied to their genitals. It's not a pleasant task anyway, and doing it in the winter is miserable. The absolute worst part is that it didn't even guarantee that they'd live. To be honest, if it would've been up to me, I'd have shot a lot more of the bucks. Fun fact: The human race got exposed to syphilis from sheep the same way they got exposed to aids from monkeys.

Fred may hate Anadarko, but I have mixed feelings about them. Of course, that would surely change if they effed up my drinking water.
:-p