Fred's firmware development diary comments thread

Official FreeEMS vanilla firmware development, the heart and soul of the system!
SleepyKeys
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Re: Fred's firmware development diary comments thread

Post by SleepyKeys »

EXCITING NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!
You snooze, you lose!
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by jharvey »

I just got some more physical work done on my little project. The injector is now mounted, and has a tank and pump to boot. That was the last hard part and I should be good to go. Now all I need is an EMS unit. So keep it up with the firmware, I'll be eagerly awaiting.

Once you make a release and I get to see the latest pin out table, I'll make the connections from the circuits to the CPU pins.

I'd agree exciting.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Sorry mate, no guarantee of a pinout update this time round as that will take a bit of time to sit down and work through and I need to put something out because a lot of changes have already been made since the last one and have been made for a long time. I'm focussing on tidying up the code I have and ensuring it works as it should and making it accessible to others who may want to work on various parts. I *may* get to look at that later tonight, but I also may not. Most important right now is to show the world some progress, stagnant projects are unattractive things.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
davebmw

Post by davebmw »

jharvey wrote:
Once you make a release and I get to see the latest pin out table, I'll make the connections from the circuits to the CPU pins.
What we may have to do on this spin of PCB is bring all of the uncertainty pins out to pads to connect with wire adds that way we can re-configure as required.
93'BMW 325is M50B25TU, Rebuilt 06/06, JE10.5:1, polish&port. Scorpion BB, K&N CAI, TEJ21 WBO2, '07 M3 Evo 18" 225F, 255R, EBC Kevlar, Bilstien Sprint, Polyflex. Head rebuild Oct'08, OEM+FSE FPR, MS2v3.0_DJB Custom, Extra 2.0.1
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by jharvey »

I'm planning on taking my best stab at it, and adding via's near the CPU. That way if it needs to change, you can cut the trace, then reattach with a via, keeping the mod minimal.
Fred

Post by Fred »

I'm definitely not in on a board that has been rushed through. I'm sorry it's taken SO long for me to get that information to you, but when you started wanting to design hardware I did say that it was a bit early. Anyway, as I see it there is zero point to finalising pcb designs when the schematic isn't finalised itself. eg, what have you got in the way of buffer devices for the ign outputs? How are those devices configured? As I recall we didn't get much/any/all of the material from the polarity discussion into the schematic just yet. I need to sort out those pins and what they mean to the rest of the schematic and get my ideas articulated and then transferred into the schematic, only THEN can we make further progress on the PCB designs.

You must have other hobbies? I feel that time spent poorly on this project is worse than no time spent on it because it uses up time that you could have spent more productively later. Please find something else to do for a little while. For example today has been more than half killed by an incident and visit to the police station. Fortunately I didn't end up getting into a fight with the would be thief as he turned out to be on speed... I have as little control over that as the hdd crash and am trying my best, but there is no point in rushing something that isn't ready to be done yet.

I was never in a rush to get the hardware designed in the first place because I knew it would be faster than the software to come together. We really want to do it once and do it right. There isn't any point in doing a board spin that isn't compatible with the code that runs on it, so hold on a little and let me catch up :-)

I hope you guys both understand my position. I really don't want to see your time and effort wasted. You are further along with the hardware design than myself and Sean are with the firmware and we still need a tuning tool too. Sit back, relax and be patient :-)

Cheers,

Fred.
davebmw

Post by davebmw »

Sorry mate just wanted to do what I could to help the project I'm sure thats the same for Jared too.

The trouble is I have the time now, in a few months we are moving house that means my office and workshop i.e. all the equipment required to produce PCB's, populate and test the boards and mill the case and any other parts will be boxed up probably for over a month and take quite a few weeks to get back up and running again.
By which time it will be the deepest depths of winter here, probably up to my knees in snow so tuning the thing and actually getting it working will be more challenging than making MS2 work on my car.

As for HDD's and thieving pikey bastards well theres nothing anyone can do about that after the fact, maybe a combination of backup images and baseball bat could help in the future ;) hindsight is a twat eh?

So in short Fred, we are not deliberately pressurising you or disappointed by level or quality of progress on any front, we understand as we all have jobs and commitments that take up our valuable development time, so understandably, we want to make the most of what time we do get to try and do our bit. We should all be chuffed that there is so much enthusiasm, if this was the case with MS i would be bitching about MS4 ground problems ;)

So to quote words of wisdom from one of my favorite films, (lock stock and 2 smoking barrels) "Chill! Winston"

And get your self a nice baseball bat, I personally recommend the smaller wooden type (you get higher BPM)!
93'BMW 325is M50B25TU, Rebuilt 06/06, JE10.5:1, polish&port. Scorpion BB, K&N CAI, TEJ21 WBO2, '07 M3 Evo 18" 225F, 255R, EBC Kevlar, Bilstien Sprint, Polyflex. Head rebuild Oct'08, OEM+FSE FPR, MS2v3.0_DJB Custom, Extra 2.0.1
Fred

Post by Fred »

I understand you guys are doing your best and doing great stuff etc, and I guess you probably aren't annoyed at me for taking so long, but I do, never the less, feel more guilty of holding things up the more you go forward, esp when I KNOW there will have to be changes and rework. I know a bunch of the work will still be useful, but the more you do, the more is throwaway, and I'll feel bad when I make the call to change stuff. But rest assured that I AM going to make that call as the design should be the best possible given what we have. I don't want a fight later because either of you rushed ahead and then I said "actually, all that is junk now, start again" or something. It won't be that bad, but you get the picture of how the situation COULD go if we aren't careful here.

Another part is that I want your one and Jared's to be 100% electrically compatible with the software so that you are both equally happy. We need to nail down some aspect before you go too far for that to be the case otherwise the designs will just diverge, and not necessarily in the same direction, or even the matching direction to the firmware.

Good things take time! If tonight and this week go well, I'll make sure I try to get you a new release and more information about pins by next sunday night. No promises, but I'll do my best!

-----------------------------------------------

LOL @ the baseball bat thing. The story goes :

sitting in a cafe, 5 around a small round table, to my left is the little sister and then another table and then the door, to my right and in front slightly, the good woman herself, in front directly the mother, to the right and in front the evil step father. little sis had her way too big bag on her chair almost behind her and unzipped (I tell mine all the time to zip them up...) I didn't see, but some guy sits down at the table with his back to the little sis, has his jacket over the back of his chair, slides the chair backward into hers gently, then while facing away, puts his arm down into her bag and starts fishing around. She notices, looks down and sees the hand in there, and starts hurling abuse at him (potty mouth and fiesty little thing) I quickly realised what had gone on and got up, went past him and stood between him and the door, veins start filling with my favourite drug adrenaline and he talks about leaving "you're going NO where mate" ;-) sleeves are rolled up, hands are shaking and I'm ready to rocknroll with this boy. Eventually he gets up and says hes leaving and walks through and out the other side. I let him get round the corner and ran after him keeping out of site. Saw him sprint down the road towards mcds and go in there, saw him stop at a table, then go straight into the toilets (perhaps to check through what he got and dump some?) so I went in while he was in there, looked at the woman at the table, she smiled back, went to the counter and looked the other way when he came out. I went in and checked the stalls etc, came back down, and the manager talks to me, I tell her, she gets on a radio and calls it in, hes at the table sitting with the woman who smiled at me. I'm behind a pillar. Managers are on the radio behind some cooking machinery, but the woman spots them and they both do a runner after exchanging something. Turns out they have security there that fast following each of them. So I go back, get the others and head into the cop shop. While doing the formal complaint thing the guy says they got one of them. We get to wait in a room for a while, and the cop comes and talks to us. She had a bunch of drugs on her, and the baby there screaming and hubby is off up the road trying to hide. They dropped something in the bin along the way (seen by the following people) so the cop had been in there fishing for it. By now I guess they have searched the house (said they were going to based on the drugs) and maybe picked him up too. If I see him again, I'll follow him again and catch him trying it on someone else and fill the bastard in.

I'm still fired up about it now. LOL, twitching in my seat day dreaming of the big right hook.

Time to merge in Sean's latest changes and tidy it up for that release!

Fred. (aka Dirty Harry 2 ;-) )
davebmw

Post by davebmw »

The cheeky bastard!

A little tip though you are not going to get much in the way of results if you punch someone on hyped up on speed they'll probably flip! best one to inflict is a firm backhand flip to the throat its not enough to cause fatal injury but sends the esophagus into spasm quickly rendering the dude pretty much inert.
Then you can have all sorts of fun thumb in eye socket / drag behind car / bury up to neck in concrete / or pay the local tramp to ass rape them! that sort of thing!
Plus it doesn't leave any bruises! so quite difficult to prove you ever hit them ;)
Fred

Post by Fred »

davebmw wrote:A little tip though you are not going to get much in the way of results if you punch someone on hyped up on speed they'll probably flip!
That depends how hard and how many times. I have been known to flip myself without the help of any drugs. Brain impacts inside of skull always works wonders for unconsciousness.
Plus it doesn't leave any bruises! so quite difficult to prove you ever hit them ;)
Cameras everywhere, so there's no chance of getting away with it barring the cop going "good work, we didn't see any footage" or similar.

Anyway, enough time wasted on that bastard. Time to finish dinner and get on with some work :-)

Fred.