Fred's firmware development diary

Official FreeEMS vanilla firmware development, the heart and soul of the system!
Fred

Re: Fred's firmware development diary

Post by Fred »

It was a very good night for FreeEMS last night, we successfully proved the functioning of about 1/3 of one new feature, with the remaining 2/3 being fine tuning of mathematics which should be pretty straight forward. Paving the way for bigger and more interesting things, though this is pretty cool in and of its self. Excuse vagueness. :-)
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Fred

Post by Fred »

A great day for the project today. Some code that's been getting hacked on by myself and a super star for the last year got finalised and mainlined today. 40 commits, 36 by the star, 4 by me. Perfect. And they're good quality, no BS, modded with care and attention to detail. Love it.

My contribution today was extracting an old complete-enough-to-test branch from a bunch of other material and updating it to current standards. Cherry picking commits from Silverstone at 3am :-D Hoping to test that next weekend on two vehicles, then think about how the testing went and what we can change to bring it closer to final.

And yesterday I did a couple of hours work for a famous FreeEMSer so they were kind enough to hook a brother up, and this is the result:

IE, me enjoying a nice cold Rochdale Cider :-) Well earned and even more enjoyed. First one in a few months. Yum.

Off to the 740 thread for a few little updates. Maybe down to the garage for some KP work, too? We'll see. I need a bit more Latex in my life today and/or tomorrow. MUST get that done.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Another four commits pushed and mainlined and another engine supported! At least one more planned before the end of the coming week. Maybe more. This next one is a simple but huge step in the right direction. Well tested already, but requiring more integration work before final. After (or before) that, a half a dozen small changes are lined up. Then a change of subject matter to facilitate more exciting changes. This year is gonna be gud. :-p

Fred

Post by Fred »

Yesterday and today I worked on what is going to be a game changer for the tuning scene, at the very least for FreeEMS, if not much more.

Tonight I got it working, close to how I want it. I found a few bugs in the stuff I'm using and will have to follow up on those getting fixed, but I'm in a position to develop it further, which is nice. I've been dreaming about this for a while, and after a long day, now it's something real.

Yesterday an ex colleague came over and we played around with some tech related to the above.

Today an epic FreeEMSer came over and while talking through his configuration for some new behaviour, that, a usual, walks all over the other guys, we came up with an even better scheme, so we'll have to follow up on that soon, at least with some documentation.

And a few days ago I finally had a chance review the source code/issue list/etc of some of the competition. :-/ These are the words that came to mind:

1) Irresponsible
2) Reckless
3) Unrealistic
4) Hypocritical
5) Over-confident
6) Unimaginative

They earned 6 for copying some of the *old* designs in our code base ;-) Shocking stuff, poor users.

Anyway, onward and upward. The new toy is going to make my life so so so much better. And possibly yours too, if you actually use a system like this, and don't just follow along out of general interest.

Bed time, zzzzz.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Today I was in a car that hit boost cut! :-D In fact, despite WOT for 0.519 seconds, it took 0.587 seconds to clear by dropping below 105kPa (from 200kPa). Amazing how long the turbo keeps producing pressure with only air running through it! :-D I wonder how long it'd take to reach <105kPa if he hadn't lifted? Another 1/4 of a second or so? I still think having it fall back to 100kPa is a good idea for now until we add some sophistication to certain functionality vaguely related to this.

Millisecond stamps used for time period calcs:

45376 - 44789
45308 - 44789

44307 26.35kPa @ 6000 RPM, the moment the foot touched the pedal.
44464 108.11kPa @ 5614 RPM, the instant of WOT
44751 196.25kPa @ 4708 RPM, boosting! :-D
44751 - 44464 = 0.287 seconds to full boost from the moment the throttle reached WOT
44464 - 44307 = 0.157 seconds to atmospheric from vacuum during the throttle transition

With more sophsitication the boost cut could be time based or just have a higher threshold of reactivation, say 25% of the way between NA and cut? Cut 200, reenable 175kPa? You'd have to have your sh** together to do that, though.
Fred

Post by Fred »

The other week a version of the firmware with *most* of the enhancements the team has been working was put to the test. With a bit of luck it'll get another test session in a week and a half with more firmware and more features. Exciting stuff, some of those should be released to the beta group fairly soon making way for more progress on the remainder and other new and exciting things. Videos from the other week to be uploaded this week. I promise. Too good not to share :-)

The other day I saw confirmation that some of this thread's most avid readers are enjoying the heavily targeted content to the full extent. That's great to see, and I'm glad it hit the mark! To my two disparate fan clubs, many thanks to all of your members from both sides of the fence. XXOO
Fred

Post by Fred »

Dev setup upgrade: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=2657&p=43439#p43439

Now have a fast machine with ample RAM and a good size monitor. No excuses. Let's get it on.

PS, I owe everyone some video uploads... perhaps tonight is it? Or tomorrow.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Or a week plus later? That'll do. Videos, as cross posted in a few threads:

Drag racing in a 1997 GTS-T RB25DET R33 Nissan Skyline powered by FreeEMS!

Rob's R33 doing a 14.1: https://youtube.com/watch?v=VuE3tRkAAGE
Rob's R33 doing a 14.0: https://youtube.com/watch?v=e088b5cvF_Y

This car represents a good example of the latest FreeEMS code with high precision, and enough features to drive as well as or better than stock.

It's crisp, has good torque, good power, reasonable economy, starts fairly quickly, idles in a predictable fashion, etc.

I really enjoyed my two days playing with it including the above videos. Great car! Great system! :-)

Amazingly, there are still some significant improvements to make to the firmware used above. Homing in on something really good, we are.

Forget the rest, use the best. :-)
Fred

Post by Fred »

And I'll just leave this here for the curious minds to ponder:

Fred

Post by Fred »

Firmware dev, of any type (for those watching and criticising in various public places), has been stalled for a few weeks due to other life activities occurring.

Today's unrelated events may change that for the better, though the business is far from over at this point. Complicated stuff.

I'm sick of working in Python, time for some C or J or some such. Lots of it. Bring it on.