Is anyone using a Windows IDE?

Official FreeEMS vanilla firmware development, the heart and soul of the system!
MotoFab
1N4001 - Signed up

Re: Is anyone using a Windows IDE?

Post by MotoFab »

OK, change of tack.

I'll need to change things then? Any advice you have regarding that is welcome. Is seems important that FreeEMS developers use the same 'components'. I do not have the experience to know if that's true though.

Based on the Eclipse Help file, I installed the following:

MinGW (GCC) Compiler, and MSYS Make utility, and MinGW debugger. See below. Should I remove them? Or, install the ones you mention in addition, and/or point to the new Compiler, Make, and debug utility in a configuration dialog box in Eclipse (which I have no idea if or where that might be).

This is what I installed so far:

Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Developers:
http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packag ... anymedesr1

GCC for 68HC11, 68HC12, 68HCS12
http://www.gnu-m68hc11.org/m68hc11_pkg_zip.php

The following is copied from the Eclipse Help file. It concerns GNU, the Debugger, and the Make utility.

Automated MinGW Installer:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=240780

The following are instructions and links on how to install the current version of MinGW.
DO NOT INSTALL the MinGW Make feature when prompted in the installer dialog — see Item 2 below.
DEBUGGER NOT INCLUDED — see Item 3 below.

MinGW is a port of the GNU toolchain to the Windows platform. The biggest difference over Cygwin is that MinGW uses the Windows C runtime libraries (mscvrt) instead of GNU's libc. As a result, a compatibility layer is not required, thus avoiding the GPL issues with Cygwin. There are differences, though, between the Windows and GNU C runtime libraries that will make writing portable applications more difficult.

However, MinGW provides the best integration support with the CDT due to it's direct support for the Windows environment.

The following are instructions and links on how to install the current version of MinGW. Note that these links may become inaccurate over time as new versions of MinGW components are introduced. Please check the MinGW File Release section for the latest versions.

1. Download and run the MinGW setup program.

2. Select download and install the MinGW base tools and the g++ compiler. You may select the Current or Candidate version of these tools. You may also install any of the other available compilers as well.
DO NOT INSTALL the MinGW Make feature as the MSYS version of make from step 5 is a more complete implementation of make.

3. The MinGW setup program currently does not install the gdb debugger. To install the debugger, download the file from the following location: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/mingw/gdb-6.6.tar.bz2

4. Extract the contents of the file gdb-6.6.tar.bz2 to the same location where you installed MinGW.

5. If you want to use Makefile projects, download and run the setup program from the following location: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/mingw/MSYS-1.0.10.exe
MSYS provides an implementation of make and related command line tools. This is not required for other types of projects with the MinGW toolchain, which use CDT's internal build tools to perform the build.

Thanks for taking the time, Fred.

- Jim
MotoFab
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by MotoFab »

Here are the online Eclipse Help pages:

Edit: Apparently the online help only works from within Eclipse.

- Jim
Last edited by MotoFab on Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fred

Post by Fred »

I think you can use either type natively, but I had no luck (I think because of my makefile) with the mingw one. The preferred method is cygwin, but I had zero issues building it with those tools. The eclipse instructions are intended for those developing c/c+ apps for windows, not cross compiling for an embedded platform.

You need make rm and hc12 gcc and thats it. I installed extras to keep the make file functional. I'd follow my last post with screen shots, but you may as well try mingw instead at this point. It will probably work too.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
MotoFab
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by MotoFab »

Fred wrote:The preferred method is cygwin, but I had zero issues building it with those tools. I guess I'll try cygwin if mingw doesn't work. The eclipse instructions are intended for those developing c/c+ apps for windows, not cross compiling for an embedded platform.

You need make rm and hc12 gcc and thats it. What is rm? I installed extras to keep the make file functional. I'd follow my last post with screen shots, but you may as well try mingw instead at this point. It will probably work too.
I'll give mingw a shot with the makefile you attached. I'm sort of flying blind here, because I don't understand what is going on in the background.

- Jim
MotoFab
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by MotoFab »

Stopped here. I cannot figure out how to add/use the 'GCC tool chain for 68HC' from Eclipse.

Checked in Eclipse help and found the Project Properties editor.

Menu: Project\Properties
Dialog: C/C++ Build\Tool Chain Editor

I checked the HC68 gcc page here:
http://www.gnu-m68hc11.org/doc/hc11_1.html#SEC1

Still can't figure it out.

- Jim
Fred

Post by Fred »

rm is like dos del its for removing/deleting files. make clean uses it.

firstly, you don't need to use the tools with eclipse, and you should turn off auto builds etc.

secondly, there are some instructions in the last few pages of my diary thread about how to configure eclipse to make it use that stuff. it boils down to "use my custom make file and don't generate your own"
Fred

Post by Fred »

Jim, I'm curious, what is your intention in terms of coding? Are you intending to contribute code to the project and if so, what exactly? Or are you just having a play with it? :-)

Fred.
MotoFab
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by MotoFab »

Fred wrote:rm is like dos del its for removing/deleting files. make clean uses it.

firstly, you don't need to use the tools with eclipse, and you should turn off auto builds etc.

secondly, there are some instructions in the last few pages of my diary thread about how to configure eclipse to make it use that stuff. it boils down to "use my custom make file and don't generate your own"
I understand about switching off auto builds. I clicked that off when doing the hello world demo.

In the development diary I found a couple of items and some screenshots on page 12 or 13.

But still, I haven't figured out how to get the HC68 gcc toolchain working in Eclipse.
I think that needs to happen in order to use to use the simulator. Not sure, but I think so.

- Jim
MotoFab
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by MotoFab »

Fred wrote:Jim, I'm curious, what is your intention in terms of coding? Are you intending to contribute code to the project and if so, what exactly? Or are you just having a play with it? :-)
At this point I'm going to end up contributing the installation and configuration setup for Eclipse in Windows. And maybe answer questions about how to use the simulator and the byzantine feature settings. You know, for the less-than-savvy guys, like me.

I've been studying a course in C and it appears no more difficult than assembly. But this open source development environment is costly to a fellow like me who doesn't work with it for a living. Having everything all explained and comprehensive set up guide would be very worthwhile to future users.

As far as what particular items to contribute to the FreeEMS code, I'll be in some kind of a position to answer that after I get the code running in a simulator and become familiar with what it's doing and how it's doing it. It could be anything, Fred.

First things first though, the IDE.

- Jim
Fred

Post by Fred »

Ahhh, I strongly doubt you will manage to get it running on the simulator. The simulator is one for the hc11 chip and maybe the hc12, and probably not, but possibly the hcs12, but definitely not the hcs12x.

Reading the code is the only real way to figure out what it is doing. Playing with it on the device (or a simulator) doesn't tell you much at all.

If you were to purchase the board and a background debugger you could watch the instructions and memory change over time with break points etc. However that wouldn't be much use either unless you had something specific to investigate.

As for the rest of hc11 gcc... you don't want or need eclipse to know about it at all. Eclipse just needs to know to run make and interpret the output of it to display in the console. Nothing more.

You don't even need that. It's just an editor. The build stuff is just build stuff, they are independent.

Eclipse can know about other variables and files and refactor and all that stuff without knowing what gcc hc11 is :-)

Fred.