Is anyone using a Windows IDE?

Official FreeEMS vanilla firmware development, the heart and soul of the system!
Fred

Re: Is anyone using a Windows IDE?

Post by Fred »

My GOD vista is GAY...
Turns out that when you install stuff it hides it in an emulation directory and makes it appear to be in the right place. How focked up is that? You check the paths etc and it looks fine, but in reality it isn't. Nasty stuff.

I'll do a vista write up when I'm done...
Not sure if the first bit was true, but the second bit is definitely not as I haven't succeeded. Vista will have to wait/never work. My make file will need to be tested by someone on here before each release (if changes have been made).

XP make file testers should raise their hands now if you want me to OOTB support you.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
MotoFab
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by MotoFab »

Fred wrote:Not sure if the first bit was true, but the second bit is definitely not as I haven't succeeded. Vista will have to wait/never work. My make file will need to be tested by someone on here before each release (if changes have been made).

XP make file testers should raise their hands now if you want me to OOTB support you.
Count me in. I haven't tried Vista yet.

- Jim
MotoFab
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by MotoFab »

Fred wrote:Ahhh, I strongly doubt you will manage to get it running on the simulator. The simulator is one for the hc11 chip and maybe the hc12, and probably not, but possibly the hcs12, but definitely not the hcs12x.

Reading the code is the only real way to figure out what it is doing. Playing with it on the device (or a simulator) doesn't tell you much at all.
Individual preference, Fred. It serves me quite a bit to step through the instructions in the commented source files. Especially since I'm just learning the language. The market has always been there for IDEs. It seems the majority of coders use them professionally. I understand you find less value in them other than for editing.

- Jim
Fred

Post by Fred »

I think you misunderstand. Almost every IDE function is available without gcc integration. Simulation is not possible, and debugging is only possible with a BDM. I use eclipse daily and have done for quite a number of years now. I use all the features that are applicable to the task at hand. In this case, an embedded platform, the useful set of functions is slightly less than developing a POJO style java app locally. In order for eclipse to compile the app even close to properly it MUST use my make file. If not it will be generating garbage and excess warnings and errors. This IS the gcc integration for hc11 in eclipse.

I'm going to do a writeup later on an XP box with screen shots and post it up. Last night the firmware was built successfully on a win2k box in NZ. Vista is not possible without a GCC patch which I certainly will not be writing as all windows versions are decidedly second class operating systems. If someone wants to give win 98 a try, by all means, let me know how you get on, it should be OK.

Fred.
MotoFab
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by MotoFab »

Fred wrote:I think you misunderstand.
Ya think! :lol2:

Dang it all. I wanted a simulator.

The HC68 gcc has a GDB for debugging, and I'm led to believe that Eclipse uses GDB for source debugging/simulation. But... I understand now that it will not work with the Xgate parts.
http://www.gnu-m68hc11.org/doc/gdb_toc.html

- Jim
Fred

Post by Fred »

GDB certainly *will* work with HC1X parts, however not without a BDM. Simulation requires the simulator matches the target. There is not a complete one for xdp512 at any price I am aware of, and it doesn't matter.
MotoFab
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by MotoFab »

I get that the simulator function doesn't matter to you, thanks for taking the time to explain some of the details, Fred.

I'm not sure but I think that CodeWarrior will do a 'software only' simulation of code running in a simulated xdp512, and IO simulation, but it isn't worth $995+ to me.

- Jim