EMS Data Map Format - Please Discuss!

Official FreeEMS vanilla firmware development, the heart and soul of the system!
Fred

Re: EMS Data Map Format - Please Discuss!

Post by Fred »

This morning I despaced the keys and created a sample datalog. We need a schema for the datalog, for the memory description and for the settings storage.

I think it will be awesome if we promote a clear clean well defined universal freeems data interchange format set.

The datalog is the easy one so I'll work on that first I think. It should be able to be largely populated from the data map object by directly mapping in relation to the data being logged. The additional fields will come from the device and app involved.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Fred

Post by Fred »

I'm making epic progress on this front! There should be useful files in the medium term, just in time for Aaron to parse and use them for the most awesome tuning tool yet :-)

It's definitely multi file now. It becomes obvious when you realise you need the same information in more than one place. The best thing is to define those things in one place and reference by ID and/or Key from other files.

This ought to be very very clean if we pull it off right :-)

Fred.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Draft structure attached, those familiar with ms ini files should realise that this is intended to define the same information for MS as it is for FreeEMS. Please comment if you can see a flaw in the design thus far.

I'll work on that a bit more and then implement it as a def of the code as it stands.

See attached file!

Fred.
Attachments
FreeEMS-Data-Map-Structure.odg
(13.7 KiB) Downloaded 679 times
Fred

Post by Fred »

Tonight I started creating one of the many schemas for the JSON data def files. This will make what you can and can't do mostly explicit (except inter file stuff and fluffy protocol stuff). It will allow us to validate my hand written JSON both before release and also when being read in by a tuning application.

The combination of these files will mean that the tuning author won't have to design the internal data structures at all really, just a back end to deal with them, and a front end to manipulate them. The system should keep all tuning apps light weight and provide a common format for data interchange between them. The key is to make it easy for those authors so they don't invent their own formats and quadruple their workload. Making it easy should see greater adoption of tools to work with FreeEMS and compatible systems.

In other news...

Because some idiot who specced JSON decided comments were unnecessary in a primarily machine generated and parsed file format there will be two copies of each JSON file, one labeled .js for me to edit and one labeled .json as output from a simple script to strip my comments and make it valid JSON. This is slightly annoying, but it's still a nicer format than XML IMO. That opinion could change though. The work designing the data structures for the definitions will not be lost if I scrap the JSON idea and switch to XML, so it's a non issue really.

Fred.
Fred

Post by Fred »

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1007

Locking this, see new thread linked above!

Fred.