Dedicated follower of fashion

Official FreeEMS vanilla firmware development, the heart and soul of the system!
Fred

Re: Dedicated follower of fashion

Post by Fred »

I'm planning to put it up on sourceforge svn when it comes far enough to be useful there. In the mean time though, I want to be able to check things in as I see fit away from the net. So I'm using a local svn repository on the laptop. There really isn't any point in sharing in between commits. I'm the sort to commit very often and some of it would definitely just confuse matters for someone that got a snap shot like that. The code right now isn't hugely different from the last release TBH. The trouble was that I had a broken computer and secondarily because I thought someone else was going to do one for me :-)

It's all under control now though. I have someone elses work merged in, and have put more changes in yesterday and tonight. By the weekend I would expect a release of something resembling useful code.

I'll probably try to keep them more regular from now on. Maybe weekly, fortnightly or monthly. As often as I can get something working.

The key point for those wanting to help is to communicate with me on what they want to change/do so we don't go doing the same work and cause a merge nightmare.

This worked pretty well with Sean. I sent him an intermediate (latest from my repo) via email and he started working on it. I worked on other stuff, and now they are together as one.

So, getting a job, fixing the pc, and waiting for code are all over now. Stuff should flow more often again!

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
sry_not4sale
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by sry_not4sale »

You should look into git. It built for sending changes to an individual and working offline :)
Owner / Builder: 1983 Mazda Cosmo 12at (1200cc 2-rotor turbo) coupe [SPASTK]
165hp @ 6psi standard - fastest production car in japan Oct 82
Fred

Post by Fred »

I'm fully aware of git, but it's not really suitable with it's clunky interface and not so widespread use (yes I know it is used in a lot of BIG projects, but SVN is used in virtually EVERYTHING.) Anyway, subclipse does well for me and I don't need any more headaches from random revision control systems than I already have with the POS they call perforce at work. SVN is lovely :-)

Time spent switching is time spent not coding. Time is very limited now that I'm working so I'll treat it like gold.

Fred.
sry_not4sale
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by sry_not4sale »

Fred wrote:I'm fully aware of git, but it's not really suitable with it's clunky interface and not so widespread use (yes I know it is used in a lot of BIG projects, but SVN is used in virtually EVERYTHING.) Anyway, subclipse does well for me and I don't need any more headaches from random revision control systems than I already have with the POS they call perforce at work. SVN is lovely :-)

Time spent switching is time spent not coding. Time is very limited now that I'm working so I'll treat it like gold.

Fred.
Fair enough, I can understand that! We use git at work so it's no drama for me, I never really considered others :lol:
Owner / Builder: 1983 Mazda Cosmo 12at (1200cc 2-rotor turbo) coupe [SPASTK]
165hp @ 6psi standard - fastest production car in japan Oct 82
Fred

Post by Fred »

sry_not4sale wrote:Fair enough, I can understand that! We use git at work so it's no drama for me, I never really considered others :lol:
I've been meaning to have more of a play with it for a while, but never quite got round to it. Now is not the time to do that either. If it aint broken, don't fix it. Which means I should fix the C code LOL.