FreeEMS firmware feature wishlist! (out of date)

Official FreeEMS vanilla firmware development, the heart and soul of the system!
AbeFM
Post Whore!

Re: FreeEMS firmware feature wishlist (your suggestions here!)

Post by AbeFM »

Also this is used to make idle work well. MAP is not a great indication of air usage at very low speeds.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Just added dedicated map outside throttle as way of controlling boost. I think that is only suitable for closed loop though.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
MotoFab
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by MotoFab »

How about storing the last known crank position into flash before the processor shuts down?

The switched 12V ignition lead is of course not active when the ignition key is switched off, so the processor must be kept active for a while after the motor is switched off.

Since this is a ground up hardware design a feature like that can be built in. Use a voltage regulator with a shutdown pin, and the processor can 'pull its own plug' after the crank position is written to flash.

Maybe there are other things you can think of doing with that 'pull plug' feature. Other data that can be written to flash at motor shutdown?
Fred

Post by Fred »

Flash, NO, EEPROM (which we DO have), Maybe, I'm a fan of this, but conversely, it seems as though if we leave 5v to it always then we can enter sleep mode and wake again on some ISR input when the car is switched back on. In sleep mode the CPU draws very little current, and the quiescent current of the Vreg should be pretty low too. Either way, remembering "time since last running" and "crank position" etc can be useful.

As far as crank position goes, I'm not convinced it is required as a typical non predictive wasted spark setup starts plenty quickly with good code. For a COP setup it has always been the intent to start in wasted and move to COP (and back again if required) when the signal comes in.

The performance of various input types is outlined in the open office document called : Wheel-Algorithm-Analysis.ods from ./docs/ in the source release zip.

I haven't updated it for a while, and it could have errors, but it's fairly good. Have a read if you like.

Fred.
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by jharvey »

The basic feature suggestion / wish list item would be for accurate frequency feed back. I'll start with some back ground, before I get to that.

I don't know how many folks have seen the inverter gen sets that have been on the market for a while now. They are great devices for generating electricity. They do it more efficiently, better quality of the signal, and are typically much smaller then conventional generators. They generally run an alternator at a reasonably high frequency, shrinking the coils quite a bit. This high frequency is then warped and manipulated to produce the AC signals you need from it. In spite the complications and circuitry, they still don't lock on to 60Hz (us) or 50 Hz (eu). This means many devices like clocks will wonder. Typically on the fast side. Seems generators run at 61 Hz or higher, partly because when loaded it will drop below 60.

Using an ECU you have a fairly accurate XTAL that could allow applications to maintain good long term 60Hz or 50Hz. So the general idea / suggestion is to add some kind of feed back that would allow for locking onto a frequency like 60 Hz. Say if you had a zero cross indicator for the output AC that indicated via IO pin the frequency, if the motor was running at 61 Hz for 5 seconds, it could back down to 59hz for 5 seconds. Keeping the average at 60 Hz.

I don't expect this in V1.0 or even 2.0, but it's still an interesting idea that might be interesting to add to the long term goals.
davebmw
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Re: Crank+Cam based input pattern support requests thread

Post by davebmw »

Greetings all,

I'm new, I have come over from the MS2 extra darkside after waiting for what seems an eternity waiting for the sequencer to run my 93' BMW 325i VANOS.
I have successfully built and tested an MS2 V3.0 running Extra code but i am at odd's whether to invest the time and effort in a less than perfect setup in my motor.
Because:
I want to use the OEM loom with 60-2 bosch crank VR sensor, and VANOS intake cam half moon Hall sensor,

I want to use all 6 COP sequentially,

to fire 2 banks of 6 injectors sequentially (1 for petrol 1 for LPG or extra fuel with separate maps),

I want to actuate the VANOS and have the choice of on off or PWM,

and to use 2 narrow band sensors and 1 wide band for accurate tuning and emissions control,

2 knock sensors without the need for external controllers,

3 or more MAP sensors 1 live atmospheric compensation, 1 manifold, 1 post supercharger for closed feedback boost control,

lots of user definable PWM outputs to drive RC type servos to control/actuate boost, Continuously variable VANOS actuation, and to control the butterfly valve in my scorpion back box. (mainly for noise at about 2000RPM)
Ideally these would be conditionally switched or referenced to a map where you select what axis you want load, RPM, MAP, Temps, road speed, etc etc etc and then set the relationship between them to the desired output duty.

4 inputs from the ABS wheels sensors for traction control,

also a watchdog on selected outputs to ensure error trapping would be cool, reason for this is my MS2 with extra code sometimes on startup locks 1 or 2 of the ignition outputs fully on and will burn out coil pack rapidly, a bit of code checking that the selected outputs have not exceeded their safe on state "allowance" would save any smoking sessions!
this could be turned off after to free up compute cycles should the setup be sound.

Here is an interesting thought, I have a serious reluctance to get rid of my MPG gauge and whilst i want to squeeze as many crazy ponies out of my forged internals as possible, it is my daily driver so would want to keep an eye on how much i spend on plodding back and forth to work. after all super unleaded petrol is £1.27 here!
What i want to do is configure an output to feed this signal which i believe to be PWM from the Free EMS to the OBC/Dials.
Would it be possible to setup the EMS to piggyback the original ECU for a time so that is can transparently learn from the sensors and ECU what is the correct level of signal to throw out to the MPG gauge?
Or would it be easier to work out from the number of squirts RPM and road speed?

Alternator control? a PWM output to control the stator in the armature to turn off the damn thing when you don't want it on.

Ok that enough of my needs maybe some of my skills could be useful to you guys.

I am a Senior Electronics Engineer in a CEM that build a huge variety of products across all industries,
I have experience in Secure Military and spread spectrum civilian RF digital comms, digital encryption and DSP, Biotecnologies, and Secure Video On Demand to name but a few.
I design and make my own 2 layer PCB's, have contacts to make up to 20 layer PCB's,
I have access to in house CAD design engineers and SMT engineers that have loads of experience in sticking bits to boards,
I myself specialize in designing test equipment through reverse engineering and re engineering.
I design and build things from scratch in my workshop because I can and often don't like/hate the compromises in bought equivalents.
Tuning cars i mainly do it by feel but have learned to think digitally over the last year for the sake of MS and Emerald.
Programming skills, I can reverse engineer code and understand what its doing but I'm not a proficient writer, but I am learning.
I also have access to many colleagues that have programming skills in VB, .Net, C, LabView to name a few.

I hope to be a useful member of this community, and look forward to contributing and road testing of course!

Regards Dave :)
93'BMW 325is M50B25TU, Rebuilt 06/06, JE10.5:1, polish&port. Scorpion BB, K&N CAI, TEJ21 WBO2, '07 M3 Evo 18" 225F, 255R, EBC Kevlar, Bilstien Sprint, Polyflex. Head rebuild Oct'08, OEM+FSE FPR, MS2v3.0_DJB Custom, Extra 2.0.1
Fred

Post by Fred »

Welcome Dave :-)

Do you mind if I move your post to the feature request thread or maybe make it it's own thread as an intro or something? It just doesn't seem to fit at all with this thread because you have the 60-2 wheel with a cam second trigger that is already listed above.

Firstly, although you are right about MS sequencer and friends never coming to fruition, I wouldn't hold your breath here either. The only difference is that I am not saying "it'll be ready next week" and then not delivering. I'm saying it will be ready when it's ready and working as hard as I can :-) In summary then, if you want your car running now, never wait for a product, put up with the issues in cheaper ones, or fork out for better gear. MS2E is a great setup for moderate power IMO. 200hp/litre should be achievable in a reasonable fashion with MS2E I reckon. If nothing else, I'd say give it a shot in the mean time as it will provide a valuable learning experience getting it setup and running. MS2E can do table switching for dual fuel and 6 cylinder COP as of about 7 months ago IIRC. It will be short of IO, but you could setup a home built GPIO to take care of that if you wanted.

I would also like wheel speed sensors for traction purposes, but it is yet to be determined if there is enough cpu HP to do it effectively without compromising other aspects of operation or not. At the worst, that could be passed into the main cpu from another or others that only read the wheel speeds in real time. This might be the best approach for that particular feature.

As for the mpg gauge, you will need to research it. I doubt "learning" is possible, at least, not without massive software effort from someone, but some oscilloscope use and logging etc could probably obtain the data required to do it. Our chip has 8 hardware PWM outputs of 8 bits each, and they can be combined into 4 16 bit PWM channels instead if greater accuracy is required.

I've already written code for the 3 map sensor setup you describe, I want that too :-)

Lastly, where in the UK are you?

Cheers,

Fred.
davebmw
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by davebmw »

Hi Fred,

By all means move the post to its rightful location, i just got a bit excited there! and kinda rambled on!

Indeed i understand that this is a work in progress and there are no dates for release etc, what i am interested in is a built from the bottom up EMS to be adaptable in which ever way you I or anyone sees fit. personally after searching around for a year and trying to reverse engineer the bosch ECU code to suit my needs i got really tired of people with holding any useful info.
I thought that was a bit mean :cry: so i moved onto megasquirt straight in at the MS2 and found while it'll work I must just be greedy i want more features, or at least the flexibility to add them from the outset not having to patch this in or stick an extra ignition driver here and there, its just a bit untidy for my liking ;) It's why i bought a second hand Motronic ECU of Ebay, i got it for the connector so that i don't have to splice into the harness and make my own driver and interface PCB, at the moment i am connecting the Bosch and the MS up to datalog transparently from all the sensors. hopefully see some interesting data.
Plus what i want more than anything is the sequential COP and Injectors just like the Bosch, everything else is a bonus!

Traction control would be a cool gismo to have, but i have an LSD anyway so its quite low on the priority list.

I have had a look at my TechEdge WBO2 controller and it apparently has 2 analog and 2 digital channels for datalogging so i may be ok to use these to capture the MPG data and simulate a signal somehow maybe totally in hardware.

200hp/l! blimey i hope you are talking forced induction there?!?! i only want 380 hp max as the safe limit of the drive train sits about there, i don't really want go changing for expensive M5 clutch, tranny! and Diff!
Plus I have put 10.5 to 1 forged pistons in it at present but I do have a spare set of 8.3 to 1 should i get really knocky near my target Bhp!

Is there a way to quote on this forum? I'm having serious difficulty remembering your replies i have to refer back and for between browser tabs.

PS i'm in South Wales, not far from Newport,
Anyway i'm off to bed now i have to get up at 7 ish and I'm one of these useless 8 hour people!!
regards,

Dave
93'BMW 325is M50B25TU, Rebuilt 06/06, JE10.5:1, polish&port. Scorpion BB, K&N CAI, TEJ21 WBO2, '07 M3 Evo 18" 225F, 255R, EBC Kevlar, Bilstien Sprint, Polyflex. Head rebuild Oct'08, OEM+FSE FPR, MS2v3.0_DJB Custom, Extra 2.0.1
Fred

Post by Fred »

davebmw wrote:By all means move the post to its rightful location, i just got a bit excited there! and kinda rambled on!
No worries at all, I'll PM you about where I've moved it to :-)
a built from the bottom up EMS to be adaptable in which ever way you I or anyone sees fit.
You've come to the right place :-) Once we get the common foundations working and assembled, I hope my job becomes "patch merger" whereby swarms of budding coders submit chunks to do X, Y and Z and I put them in, tidy them up and release it.
Plus what i want more than anything is the sequential COP and Injectors just like the Bosch, everything else is a bonus!
You are in luck, 6 sequential will be supported :-)
Traction control would be a cool gismo to have, but i have an LSD anyway so its quite low on the priority list.
I have LSD too (first "mod" I did to my ute was to rebuild the LSD TIGHT) but I will still be needing traction control :-)
200hp/l! blimey i hope you are talking forced induction there?!?! i only want 380 hp max as the safe limit of the drive train sits about there
Yeah, I was thinking boost, but that's irrelevant it just comes down to injector size required to support it and air demand at idle vs ability to control injectors well. MS2 controls injectors well, but non-sequential means its a bit limited in doing that and the effective wellness isn't what it could be.
Is there a way to quote on this forum?
Yes, right top corner of the post. I chose this skin without thought for obviousness, as such, all the buttons are small and obscure. woops.
Anyway i'm off to bed now i have to get up at 7 ish and I'm one of these useless 8 hour people!!
7???? I was up 35 minutes ago!! (6am). Sounds like a slacker to me ;-) hell, I'm just getting up to learn an obscure language and write code for free LOL.

Fred.
shameem
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by shameem »

Are there any plans to do sensor diagnostics - like putting up a warning light if a sensor is disconnected or acting up.....

This is something lacking in MS - isee posts like - i dont have spark or i dont have RPM in MSland - and i feel that sensor diagnostics may help or atleast provide a starting point....