EGO correction and it's importance/downsides/gotchas

Official FreeEMS vanilla firmware development, the heart and soul of the system!
GrowlingandBiffo
QFP80 - Contributor

Re: Change your username from Admin to Fred

Post by GrowlingandBiffo »

Think AustinBob has a very interesting idea.

Lambda and detonation are the main things we want to monitor and adjust everything according.

We need to extract the maximum energy for our windfall, oil or grown bio fuel.

Get engine up to optimum temp asap.

Measure pollution and burn, with lambda, (feed back directly to ECU)

Advance ignition, and stay away from detonation.(Ion sensing is best.)

The ECU can then make decisions based on infomation.

It depends on what you want from the engine

Power to accelerate

Economy to extend the range (aircraft)

Emissions to confirm to regs

For normal driving, which is 80%, it is the last two, and the first one is rarely used, and for normal driving car should accelerate gently, perhaps with the power mode coming in like a kick down when you floor the go pedal...

So every thing all automatic, with perhaps manual over drive..

Economy will be in the drivers mind and emission will be Govt, so they could link it in to congestion charge, as you ECU will email your pollution level, as part of Road Charging and the new and improved Road Tax Charging.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Sure, but all of that and more is achievable without self tuning or even EGO correction. Realtime EGO correction can achieve fine tuning of a less than perfect map without issue under certain load conditions. EGO can not be trusted under dynamic conditions and to use that information takes a lot more processing power than a core that is already loaded down with just running the engine. Tuning is something that should be done under the watchful eye of a person and then used, not done by the machine without your knowledge.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
GrowlingandBiffo
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by GrowlingandBiffo »

Disagree.

Can see you point for development but the main reason for using a computer, and one with a very powerful proessor, is so that it can "tune" its self.

However

Like an auto box, for the first few weeks you stir it around but then you soon realise that the 'box can do it well one it's own..

Gobsmacked that you feel you are loading your core down, as it only has an engine to run, and we have enough processing power with an AVR to suffice, but do not want to get into a techie discussion on relative merit of different processors

Interestingly no one uses a processor as powerful as the one you have chosen, maybe Maclaren with Power PC but..

Apart from Air fuel, and spark advance the other thing is an accelerometer (Tri-axial) to detect engine setting improvements.

Some of these can resolve down to 1000th of a "G", with suitable software, and will be a good way to measure the effect of any changes to your engine spark and fuel settings...

Continual and automatic updates and improvements, which will optimise the the engine and consequently allow for wear...
Fred

Post by Fred »

GrowlingandBiffo wrote:Can see you point for development but the main reason for using a computer, and one with a very powerful proessor, is so that it can "tune" its self.
That sounds like something someone that needed to market the ECU might say. Please notice DIY in the URL and begin to look at this from the point of view of the high end tinkerer that WANTS to tune their own engine. That is the point. Anyone can purchase an ECU and have someone else dyno tune it. If that is what they want, then the only thing for them here is cheapness. I'm not writing code for those that are cheap, tight, and lazy :-) I'm writing code for high end tinkerers like myself that want to control the engine (as opposed to let a computer control it) and want to build it themselves from the ground up. Sure, this doesn't suit everyone, but it will suit the type of people that I am interested in assisting. Money can be made from my hard work later, but I am not going to be actively working towards that at any point.
Like an auto box, for the first few weeks you stir it around but then you soon realise that the 'box can do it well one it's own..
Interesting example, I've never stopped stirring them around because they simply can't do very well on their own. Their propensity to change up when you lift is EXTREMELY irritating and their desire to change down mid corner as you roll into the gas is just downright dangerous. Have you driven the BMW SVG cars? I have, and they SUCK. Like a learner driver...
Gobsmacked that you feel you are loading your core down, as it only has an engine to run, and we have enough processing power with an AVR to suffice, but do not want to get into a techie discussion on relative merit of different processors
Without getting into techy discussions, firing 24 individually timed channels at 20000rpm with a fuel calculation before EACH one is a LOT of work to do. It might run nearly as well if there was a fuel calculation every 8 revolutions of the engine at that speed, but It is still a worth goal to aim for and whatever we hit we will not be ruining by trying to analyse complex data like dynamic AFR readings.
Interestingly no one uses a processor as powerful as the one you have chosen, maybe Maclaren with Power PC but..
This is simply NOT true. EVERYONE uses a processor more powerful than this. Our processor is a chassis core for doing things like opening the boot, winding up the windows and ABS control NOT running an engine. The engine control chips are all 32 bit and all have TPU capabilities etc. They are vastly more powerful than ours. They are more powerful to meet strict emissions standards. I'm not so interested in that, but getting the last horsepower out of my engine interests me a great deal and therefore I care about how accurate it is which quite simply takes time to calculate.
Apart from Air fuel, and spark advance the other thing is an accelerometer (Tri-axial) to detect engine setting improvements.
Start a thread about this if you like, but don't discuss it here. All I'll say is that I've used them and they are great, but not for that...
Continual and automatic updates and improvements, which will optimise the the engine and consequently allow for wear...
Trouble is, they aren't necessarily improvements! Nor are manual tune changes, but 99/100 they are, and if not the tuner learns.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!