Development environment and test enviornment

Official FreeEMS vanilla firmware development, the heart and soul of the system!
austinbob
DIP8 - Involved

Development environment and test enviornment

Post by austinbob »

Can someone please point me in a direction for creating an environment where I can test code on the the microprocessor. What is everyone using. Bear in mind I am new to working with downloading code to a microprocessor. How can I test code on the microprocessor? How do I see the results of a test? What software tools will make this easy for someone who has never programmed a microprocessor before?
Fred

Re: Development environment and test enviornment

Post by Fred »

If you want to see real results first hand, you will need at the least, some LEDs and drivers for them, an RPM input for it and matching code, and an oscilloscope to view the wave forms. I have a thread for my hardware setup and one for everything I've learned coding on it. Both are probably worth a read. At least 3 of us have setups for testing this so if you just want to write code and throw it to me I can include it in a release after reviewing it myself (mainly for understanding :-) ).

My setup consists of two 160x100 eurocards with two 50pin IDC ribbons coming from the CPU card a lot of transistors, a lot of LEDs, a JimStim, and a basic power supply. I also found it very helpful to use a piezo on various outputs to check for smoothness and jitter (really highlights interrupt load! and also bad signals from poor grounding etc). My scope is my soundcard with xoscope running. It all works pretty well considering the cost of it :-)

There is a "jump in the deep end" thread with some links in it in the announcements section I think.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
ababkin
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by ababkin »

Fred, have you *forgotten* about my project?

anyway, to OP, while still raw, the testbed i occasionally work on is supposed to do exactly what you were asking about (i assume you ask about testing the MCU operation in context of engine control)
Look at my sig for references, and search for freeesim
Legal disclaimer for all my posts: I'm not responsible for anything, you are responsible for everything. This is an open and free world with no strings attached.
Fred

Post by Fred »

ababkin wrote:Fred, have you *forgotten* about my project?
No, but you have to finish it first :-p
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!