Porting my code to the hcs12c64/c128

Official FreeEMS vanilla firmware development, the heart and soul of the system!
Fred

Porting my code to the hcs12c64/c128

Post by Fred »

Would anyone with ms2 hardware and some knowledge of code like to take it upon themselves to keep a branch of my code open and up to date to be run on the existing ms2 hardware? I would like to see MS users with a true open source alternative at some point, and the sooner the port develops, the easier it will be to keep it up to spec.

I don't think it is worth me spending my time on this at the moment when there are other things that need doing, but it would make a nice easy casual project for someone else IMO.

It would need to be ignition free and/or limited cylinder count and modified, but the basic fuel pulsing code is 100% compatible with a suitable header and memory.x and linker scripts etc.

Volunteers?

Admin.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
ababkin
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Re: Porting my code to the hcs12c64/c128

Post by ababkin »

i hope you've designed your code to be as hardware-platform-agnostic as possible? :twisted:

unless the MS has some kind of hardware sequential extension (like a router), this game wouldn't be worth the candles.
Legal disclaimer for all my posts: I'm not responsible for anything, you are responsible for everything. This is an open and free world with no strings attached.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Of course, to the maximum extent possible. Certainly the other hcs12 chips should be straight forward for those with comparable feature sets. The ms2 card for example with a few small mods could be used as a 4 cylinder sequential controller without issue. This is definitely worth while! Don't be so negative or I'll put up a "ban Alex?" thread and rig the results :-p
ababkin
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by ababkin »

Admin wrote:Don't be so negative or I'll put up a "ban Alex?" thread and rig the results :-p
don't worry, the platform's creators have already beat you to it :o
Legal disclaimer for all my posts: I'm not responsible for anything, you are responsible for everything. This is an open and free world with no strings attached.
Fred

Post by Fred »

ababkin wrote:don't worry, the platform's creators have already beat you to it :o
Seriously though, there is nothing to stop my code running more or less as is on the ms2 card. It could do sequential for a 4 or maybe 6 pot and ignition duties too. Better still, it would be GPL and readable :-)

Of course, it's no use at the moment, but it could become useful later.
AbeFM
Post Whore!

Post by AbeFM »

I've got an extra MS-II board I'm not using (one burned out output) but.. I'm with alex, I don't see the point. :-)
Fred

Post by Fred »

8InchesFlacid wrote:I've got an extra MS-II board I'm not using (one burned out output) but.. I'm with alex, I don't see the point. :-)
The point is to allow ms users to test with/for us with no/minimal hardware mods to their setups. This has to be a good thing (expand user base and test coverage).
AbeFM
Post Whore!

Post by AbeFM »

You'd need to make/build almost an entire MS main board from scratch?

I guess you could get a v2.2 or something. Might be easier to get just a project board, lay something out....

How much is the board you're using, anyway? Seriously, I think it's cheaper and easier.... Then again, judging from the number of people who'll invest months into working out the bugs in a parallel MS install, I can see where you're coming from - people like to reuse what they've got, even if in the end the best they can hope for is "not that bad".

Stone soup.
Fred

Post by Fred »

No, all they should have to do is save their msq and burn our code over the MS code. Then play with it, then burn the ms code back and reload the msq. That easy. IF it gets ported. I know one person already has a bench setup that they want to play with this code on. Perhaps it would have been advantageous to start from there at the beginning? It certainly would have been simpler for me and others who now have the new chip. However, when it comes down to it, we want more/better than ms2 can do at the end of the day, so we'd need to be working with the new chip sometime, and earlier is better IMO.

Admin.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Well, this one has settled itself. Pretty soon we'll start paging the flash into ram for real time tuning. Unfortunately each of our ram pages is the size of the entire ms2 ram block, so any port would need to fully rewrite whatever flash to ram paging scheme I end up creating and probably/definitely isn't worth the effort...

Fred.