FreeEMS_Loader

Official FreeEMS vanilla firmware development, the heart and soul of the system!
Fred

Re: FreeEMS_Loader

Post by Fred »

Issue tracker gone WILD overnight. Good dialogue. Keep it up. Between the two of you, it should be mint doc wise soon.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Preston
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by Preston »

Cheers for the help Sean and Fred. Super nice for the responses to be so quick, made things a whole heap easier. A++

Preston.
SleepyKeys
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by SleepyKeys »

New WinBin for FreeEMS users in windows. Please uninstall your old stuff and get the new bin here.

http://powerefi.com/files/FreeEMS-Loade ... er-RC4.exe

thx
You snooze, you lose!
Fred

Post by Fred »

Please contact me about your tags. You seem to have made the same mistake that I made, however unlike me, it's not too late for you. Testing on winblows nowish.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Also, your version is two commits behind, and dirty. Next time figure out shit first, commit second, do public build third, so that something definitive ends up in the hands of the user, not something that could literally have anything in it.
Fred

Post by Fred »

OK dude, some shit is seriously fucked up in this one.

I did a load, and I assume that you verify the load, so I assume it worked OK. Which is concerning, because it should have failed completely with FIVE DATA BITS, 2 STOP BITS, AND ODD PARITY, that the settings showed. Yet it seemed to load fine... like it was ignoring them.

I also never ever set them that way, so your defaults system is fucked too.

I can report speed is normal, even with 4k buffers in place.

I expect the settings honoured in future, and for it to fail when set this way, and for the warning (GREAT idea!) to be more obvious/obnoxious (all caps/dave style?), print their settings and the defaults so it can be compared instantly, too.

Screeny of system settings, which also couldn't work due to speed incompatibility, and loader showing bad settings and successful load.

Finally, before clicking close/reset i changed the settings hoping to retry with more bogus ones, then hit close/reset.... and it just kept telling me the settings were wrong and never closing/resetting... :-/

Fred
Fred

Post by Fred »

ok, while writing the above, shit happened, without my involvement :

when i closed the last of the MS windows with no text, the app exited too. stuffed if i know what this means, but it's dodgy as hell

please fix.

great to see progress, but it needs to feel a lot more pro than it currently does

Fred
SleepyKeys

Post by SleepyKeys »

"I did a load, and I assume that you verify the load, so I assume it worked OK. Which is concerning, because it should have failed completely with FIVE DATA BITS, 2 STOP BITS, AND ODD PARITY, that the settings showed. Yet it seemed to load fine... like it was ignoring them." Yes under windows those settings are being ignored, will fix.

"I also never ever set them that way, so your defaults system is fucked too."
It will only properly set defaults if its the first time that app has been run. So if you have had an older version and upgrade later on, it wont rerun the *init default. But the defauts are set on first run. Did you at least get a warning that you were using the wrong settings in the text box?
http://issues.freeems.org/view.php?id=713

"I can report speed is normal, even with 4k buffers in place." That was the only problem I was after solving for the moment haha. At least that one is done :)

"Screeny of system settings, which also couldn't work due to speed incompatibility, and loader showing bad settings and successful load." Are you sure those settings are reflected by *current settings, set by another app, ouside of the *system *manager ?

"Finally, before clicking close/reset i changed the settings hoping to retry with more bogus ones, then hit close/reset.... and it just kept telling me the settings were wrong and never closing/resetting... :-/" hmmmm currently settings are only changed when opening the port not when you click and change them. I suppose this should be possobile though as long as the loder is not *busy. Actually it might be essential inorder to cleanly switch into firmware mode etc.

"ok, while writing the above, shit happened, without my involvement :" eeeeeeek

Thx for taking the time to revew all this. I'll see what I can do, to get it closer to being pro.
You snooze, you lose!
SleepyKeys

Post by SleepyKeys »

Also beware some *junk rs232 adapters don't honor settings. What adapter/chip did you use for this test ? Testing my theory on whether or not the system shows current port settings via THEIR termial app haha.

thx
You snooze, you lose!
Fred

Post by Fred »

Sean0 wrote:Yes under windows those settings are being ignored, will fix.
Win only, OK. Next time include informal "this doesn't work" release notes so as not to waste the time of your users! :-p
It will only properly set defaults if its the first time that app has been run. So if you have had an older version and upgrade later on, it wont rerun the *init default. But the defauts are set on first run.
I've NEVER set them to those values. Maybe you fixed an init bug at some point? Loader only ran on her box from a month or so back when I first posted about my experiences here.
Did you at least get a warning that you were using the wrong settings in the text box?
Did you look at the screenies??? :-p
Are you sure those settings are reflected by *current settings, set by another app, ouside of the *system *manager ?
Pretty sure that they're not. Just saying, it wasn't using those, and it wasn't using what it displayed, so what the fuck was it using? :-p Hard coded values, is what. Who could guess? No one, with the warning saying it was doing otherwise...
hmmmm currently settings are only changed when opening the port not when you click and change them. I suppose this should be possobile though as long as the loder is not *busy. Actually it might be essential inorder to cleanly switch into firmware mode etc.
I didn't expect it to change them. I expected it to take effect on next connect. Changing settings within a connection is totally invalid. For firmware comms you'll need to close port, reopen with different settings, and back again, fluidly, and reliably.
"ok, while writing the above, shit happened, without my involvement :" eeeeeeek
Likely queued from previous clicks that seemed to just output the error, however how could it fail, it was all normal, I'd not even moved the load/run switch...
Thx for taking the time to revew all this. I'll see what I can do, to get it closer to being pro.
Make sure it counts.

NP. Fred.