What IDE do you windows users think we should 'standardise'?

Official FreeEMS vanilla firmware development, the heart and soul of the system!
slacker.cam
QFP80 - Contributor

What IDE do you windows users think we should 'standardise'?

Post by slacker.cam »

Well im 90% done writing up a howto for windows users to get a dev environment up and running. One problem I'm having is what IDE I should recommend people install and use. Obviously some of us will have our personal favorites and thats fine but we will have a lot of people new to programming and will want a easy to use and lightweight IDE to get them up and running. I personally use Textpad for small projects and have used Programmers Notepad for some AVR programming. Another option is to use the popular Dev-C++ that many people seem to favour.

So my question is what do you think is the best way to go? Out of the three i mentioned above or from something that you recommend. Put in your suggestions and reasons for them and I'll get this thing finally posted so people can start programming.

Cheers guys
sry_not4sale
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Re: What IDE do you windows users think we should 'standardise'?

Post by sry_not4sale »

Something small and light so people don't go through a 100mb download to find they hate it...!

Personally, I use http://www.jedit.org - platform independant!
Owner / Builder: 1983 Mazda Cosmo 12at (1200cc 2-rotor turbo) coupe [SPASTK]
165hp @ 6psi standard - fastest production car in japan Oct 82
Fred

Re: What IDE do you windows users think we should 'standardise'?

Post by Fred »

In terms of IDE's Eclipse is hard to beat, however, it is not light weight, but no TRUE IDE is really. Until about 1.5yrs ago, I used VIM/vi exclusively for all my dev, but it's just not sufficient for a complex project really. Some sort of tabbed editor is a good intermediate way to go. Jedit looks nice :-)

editor + build env = success

from there, the sky is the limit.

I have no recommendation for an editor, as it's a fairly personal thing. Console VIM and Eclipse work exceptionally well for me though, and both are available on all major platforms.

emacs is another option worth noting.

Admin.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!